Chapter 31

Steve follows me out of the bus, bay raised ready for an attack

Steve follows me out of the bus, bay raised ready for an attack. "Just don't do anything stupid." I warn the boy, scanning the darkness around us. Soft growling sounds from somewhere in front of us. "And let you take all the credit for yourself?" Steve scoffs and I while around to face him.

"Is that what you think?" I ask shoving him back "you think I want to take all the glory for myself?" Steve is lost for words at my anger. "You think this is really my idea of fun? I can heal. You can't." Steve opens and closes his mouth and i scoff and shake my head.

I turn back around "whatever, do whatever you want." I mutter, anger coursing through my body. I start whistling, calling out to the beast that is circling us in the dark. Steve follows behind me "come on buddy."

I gently take my gun out of my jacket "human tastes better than cat I promise." I muse as if it can understand me. The monster finally comes into view and I try to stand between Steve and the monster with little success. He wants to be at my side.

We keep our eyes trained on the monster in front of us before Lucas shouts "Steve, Lori. Behind you!" I whirl around and see another one standing on top of a car, leering down at us. "Shit." I hear Steve mutter and I can't help myself so I muse "wishing you stayed inside?"

I hear him scoff "while you're out here risking your life? Unlikely." I clench my jaw tightly, keeping my eyes on the beast in front of me.

The door to the bus squeaks open and Dustin shouts "Lori, Steve. Abort!" However before we can react the beasts take the opportunity to attack us. Without even thinking I throw Steve away from me, shooting several bullets into the face of one of the animals.

I hear a bang as Steve collides with a car, trying to dodge another beast. I grit my teeth and shoot at the animal stalking towards me, it doesn't seem bothered by the bullets going into it's chest at all. It finally leaps and and I grab the thing closest to me, a piece of wood and jam it into it's next "Dustin!" I shout, my brother appears in the window in the make shift fort "throw me that lighter!"

He does as I ask and I catch it, I flick it on and light another piece of wood while the monster stands up. "Taste this, asshole." I mutter before shoving the flaming piece of wood into it's mouth. The monster screeches in pain before falling to the floor. In flames.

With that one disposed off I rush over to help Steve, the monster is rabid. Not sign of tiring or slowing down. I suck in a breath and pull him back by his shirt. "Dust, I need you to open the door buddy." I call and when I hear the squeak of the door I pull Steve inside. The kids quickly shut the door again just as the creature launches itself. Locking it outside.

"Shit!" Dustin says as both Steve and I scramble up. Panting hard, I do the only thing I can think of doing right now and that is pull him into a hut. Steve wraps his arms around my shoulders, practically shielding me. I close my eyes for a second and take a few deep breaths. "Are they rabid or something?" Max asks as I step back and take a piece of metal, wedging it against the door as an extra barrier.

Steve pushes his feet into it as Lucas shouts "they cant get in! They cant!" The monsters continue to growl and they push hard against the bus making it tip slightly. Max screams and I grab hold of her before she can fall. We pause for a second to correct ourselves at that gives the creature the opportunity to strike through the door and the metal protecting us.

The kids all scream now and I order them to get to the back of the bus while I grab Steve's bat and hit the monster with as much force as I can muster. "Is anyone there? Mike? Will?" Dustin asks into his radio "god! Anyone!" But it's radio silence. There is another loud bang and I jerk my head to see what it was. Dustin is still speaking "we are at the old junkyard, and we are gonna die!"

The monster trying to get through the door disappears and I fall back into Steve "it's alright." He muses "I got you."

Then there is a loud banging noise and the monster is on the roof. It growls, reaching the hole at the top we were using for look out and Max screams. All of them race towards us and I push them behind me. "Out of the way!" Steve screams angrily raising the bat and looking up through the roof "you want some? Come and get this!"

The monster screeches threateningly before it stops suddenly and shaking the bus as it climbs off. More of the monsters growl in the distance and I clutch Steve's arm nervously.

Slowly we make our way out of the bus to find the junkyard deserted, as though we weren't just attacked by monsters from another dimension. "What happened?" Lucas asks, all of us still tense and ready for a surprise attack. "I don't know." Max replies sounding both confused and scared while Dustin, who is the last off the bus offers "Steve and Lori scared em off?"

I snort and shake my head slowly "no. No way." I am still clutching Steve's arm tightly but when I realise I let go. We both turn round to the kids "they're going somewhere." Steve muses.