Chapter 39

In the bathroom I don't use the toilet I just wash my hands, I am careful to take my time with it

In the bathroom I don't use the toilet I just wash my hands, I am careful to take my time with it. Focus on my hands, which I will use to strangle that girl the next time I get my hands on her. When I go back out to the living room I see the four kids leanings over the sofa in front of the window, peering out. "What are you looking at?" I ask making my way over just as they duck. I peek behind the curtain and see Steve talking to Billy, by the expressions on both of their faces it isn't a pleasant conversation.

"Shit." My brother says as they slump against the sofa "did he see us?" I sigh and step back away from the window. I grab my jacket off of the arm of the chair "stay here." I say before heading for the front door. "Look who else is here!" Billy says when he spots me, Steve looks behind his shoulder at me "Lori get back inside." Billy snorts, taking a drag of his cigarette "yeah Lori." He says, his tone clipping "get back inside."

I roll my eyes, stuffing my hands into my pockets "when the two of you are done with your pissing contest." I muse confidently "this isn't what you think it is Billy." The other boy scoffs and shakes his head. "It does look dodgy Lorelei, you have to admit it." He says stepping forward "Harrington over here blatantly lied to me about my sister being here. At a strangers house. And you are defending him."

Billy reaches me and I tilt my head up, not even flinching "this doesn't concern you Billy." I say coldly "leave. Now." he sighs and tucks a strand of my hair behind my ear expecting me to react. I don't. "Now why would I do that princess?" He asks and Steve comes towards us "that's enough." He warns but then Billy turns around and pushes Steve, knocking him to the floor.

My eyes widen "Billy, what the hell?" I say confused at how it escalated so quickly. The Hargrove boy leans over Steve, the cigarette still in his mouth "I told you to plant your feet." He says clearly referencing school. Steve tries to get up off of the floor but Billy kicks him in the stomach, Steve groans and falls back to the ground.

"Billy, that's enough!" I say stalking over to them, I grab his arm but he pulls it our of my grip easily. "I don't want to hurt you Lori but I will if I have to." He says before throwing a punch at me. Without even thinking I grab his arm as it extends towards me and I pull him to me. As he comes towards me I jab him in the throat with my other hand making him fall to the floor. I then race back into the house.

Max and Lucas standing there in shock "ok, Max, you need to go. Now." I say panting slightly "go hide out in the shed until-" But I don't get to finish that sentence as the door bangs open revealing Billy. He recovered quicker than I thought he would, a new cigarette between his lips. Lucas and Max continue to stand there in fear, my brother still over by the sofa. I stand between Max and her step brother defiantly.

"Well, well, well." Billy says, looking around me at the two children "Lucas Sinclair. What a surprise." Both children clutch my arms tightly as he stalks towards us. "That's close enough Billy." I warn with a tone that lets him know I'm not messing around. He stops but doesn't acknowledge me further as he looks at his sister "I thought I told you to stay away from him Max." He speaks calmly.

Max sucks in a breath "Billy, go away." He doesn't even blink, as though she didn't even speak he continues "you disobeyed me." I frown at my former friend. "And who are you?" I snap angrily "her father? Just leave Billy seriously." His eyes flick to me now but continues speaking to Max "you know what happens when you disobey me, I break things."

Then before I can react he lunges forward and grabs Lucas by the collar of his shirt and lifts him up, dragging him to the kitchen. "Billy stop!" I shout as the others start shouting as well. I run towards him but Billy sees me coming as he turns, and with one hand grabbing a tray off of the washing board hits me over the head with it. The force knocks me to the ground and I groan in pain, clutching my head "Lori." I hear my brother say before he appears at my side.

"Are you alright?" He asks looking at my head for an injury, I wince slightly because despite my fast healing it still stings "yeah." I mutter "I'm fine." I then go to stand up when I catch Lucas knee Billy in the balls. The older boy falls back slightly, bending over. "You are so dead Sinclair!" He shouts angrily "you're dead!"

Steve then comes in from the front yard and grabs Billy's shoulder. "No." He says dramatically "you are." before punching him in the face. I wince as I watch his fist make contact with Billy's face. They start fighting each other and I make sure the kids are a good distance away before I go ahead and sort out the two older ones.

"Stop it!" I yell, my voice echoing though the house with power I didn't know I had. I then reach forward and Billy says "no one tells me what to do." He head buts Steve who falls to the floor in pain. I reach Billy and pull him back, anger coursing through my veins. "I don't know who you are right now, but you are not my friend." I say through gritted teeth as I pull him away from Harrington "and I want you to leave, before you get yourself hurt. Or killed." the implication left hanging in the air between us.

Billy stops, panting slightly as he looks at me. Without hesitation I punch him square in the face and then head but him for good luck. He groans, clutching his face. without that defence I knee him the crutch before opening the door and throwing him out. "If I ever see your face again Hargrove." I warn calmly "I'll kill you."

When I close the door I hear clapping behind me, I turn around and see the kids all clapping. Before Mike leans over to Dusting and whispers loudly "you're sister is so hot." I roll my eyes. Ignoring that I ask "are you guys ok?" They nods, still staring at me like I am an alien. I then make my way over to Steve who is trying to stand up "you ok there?" I ask softly as I assist him, he clutches my forearms tightly as I help him up.

"I'm great." Steve says spitting out some blood and I smile pleasantly at the boy who just got beaten up for a bunch of kids he isn't even connected to. I throw a set of keys to Max, her brother's car keys and I say "let's get out of here." Before knocking Steve out as gently as I can.