Chapter 26

I wake up coughing and sputtering

I wake up coughing and sputtering. I wince as I open my eyes and turn my head, trying to figure out what happened. Before I can however I hear footsteps and then I am dragged out of the car. I lay on my back in the blaring sun, my eyes squinting against the harshness of it. Then I am in shadows as a familiar face leans over me, her teeth bared. I cough, clutching my side "should have guessed it would be you they would send after me after Richie failed." I say through gritted teeth and pain.

Rosemary, that's her name. Rosemary Quieten, my biggest rival at the Academy. She hisses, her brown eyes soulless, she brings her foot down on my stomach and I groan in pain, my eyes rolling to the back of my head. When I reopen them she is still leaning over me "you were always the biggest screw up of all of us Lorelei." She muses cocking her head to the side, I groan in pain again as she digs her black booted foot into my stomach further.

"I guess you never were meant to last long." She teases before kicking me, I curl into my side and cough violently again. "I'm not going back there Rosemary, you might as well kill me." I say spitting out blood. I hear her chuckle, the sound like church bells and I revel in the irony of it for a few seconds before she moves and crouches down in front of me "haven't you heard?" She asks sweetly "Headmaster changed the order. We are to kill you, not bring you in." I roll back over so I am facing the sky.

She kicks me again and this time I really fight back the tears. "did you really think that they would want you back after you ran away and shot our peace offering down?" She asks and I let my eyes rest on her. She has an outfit on that shows off her hourglass figure and her dark brown hair runs in curls down her back. I know she would be considered a beauty to anyone who didn't know her, but I do and I know what ugliness hides underneath that facade.

"Richard was supposed to be a peace offering?" I ask spitting out more blood, my legs are tingling and I have no feeling in either on my arms. She laughs again, more manic this time and she starts pacing "wasn't my first choice I'll admit but who am I to question his judgement." I get a familiar sour taste in my mouth at the mention of him. I let my head fall back against the concrete "what are you waiting for?" I ask gritting my teeth again "just kill me, I know you want to."

Rosemary tuts and comes back over to me "you clearly don't know me that well then do you, Lori, I am going to drag this out. Torture you mentally and then when I have gotten bored of that, torture you physically. God am I going to enjoy this." she takes a knife out of her boot and flip it in her hand once before bending down and grabbing my hair in her fist, yanking my head up.

I refuse to give her the satisfaction of knowing she is hurting me. She tilts her head again and eyes me like a predator assessing it's prey. "I know how much you treasure this." She says gesturing my hair in her grasp "let's start by taking that from you shall we?" My stomach drops and I struggle in her grasp. She smiles evilly, she leans into my ear and whispers "and then I'll take everything else you love before finally your life."