Ch. 23 - BATTLEFIELD

Sawyer's outfit:

   + Lacrosse Uniform

+ Lacrosse Uniform

▪︎ 🖤 🏳️‍🌈🕯▪︎

Chapter Twenty-Three🦎 Battlefield 🦎

🦎 Battlefield 🦎

"Your brother told me some things about drowning earlier." Ms. Morrell said as Sawyer and Anakin sat in front of her in her office at the school. "Let me guess, he talked about how you won't open your mouth until you feel like your head is about to explode. And when you finally do, it stops hurting. It's no longer scary, it's peaceful." Sawyer said.

"Do you hope Matt felt some peace in his last moments?" Morrell asked, making Sawyer raise her eyebrows, "He held a gun to my head, tried to suffocate my brother and knocked my dad out. I hope his last moments were painful. And if it was, I don't feel sorry for him." Sawyer said.

"Can you feel sorry for the nine-year-old Matt who drowned?" Morrell asked and Sawyer scoffed lightly and shook her head, "What happened to him was traumatic but that doesn't really give him the right to go off killing them one by one in more traumatic ways." Sawyer said as she mindlessly kept adjusting and re-adjusting the length of Anakin's leash before looking up at Morrell.

"Also, my dad told me that they found a bunch of pictures of Allison on Matt's computer. And not just of her, though. I mean, he literally photoshopped himself into these pictures- stuff like them holding hands, and kissing... You know, like, he had built this whole fake relationship. So, yeah, sure, drowning when he was nine years old was what sent him off the rails, but the dude was clinically insane." She said and Morrell smiled slightly.

"Your brother told me that one positive thing came out of this, though... Right?" Morrell asked and Sawyer sighed and nodded, 'Yeah... Yeah, our dad got his job back..." Sawyer said before shaking her head slightly. "But I still feel like there's something wrong between us. I don't know. It's just, like, tension when we talk. It's the same thing with Scott." Sawyer said and Morrell raised her eyebrows.

"Have you talked to him since that night?" Morrell asked and Sawyer shook her head slightly, "No, not really. I guess the only person I've really been talking to is my brother. But, Scott's got his own problems to deal with. I don't think he's talked to Allison, either... But that might be more her choice, you know? Her mom's death hit her hard. But, I guess it brought her and her dad closer so that's something." Sawyer said.