Chapter 1: High school

Max's pov: 

I was wandering down the halls of our new school. Today was our 14th day in high school and I was alone. I walked with my handphones on, looking straight in front of me, going from classes and classes waiting for it to be over. Mike and Dustin were at the Hellfire club, it's a D&D club, what a bunch of nerds. And Lucas who was in it too at the beginning, now was on the basketball team, he was popular and girls liked him. Him and I broke up not long after Billy's death, I was upset and said thing I didn't thought, we fought and it was over. Right now we had lunch, then in about 30 minutes I had too see the therapist of the school, Miss Kelly, and of course we did not have any classes this afternoon because it was the first basketball game of the season. I finished my plate even though I wasn't hungry and went to the therapist's office. 

"So Max how are you feeling?" she asked a warm smile on her face. 

"Better" I lied. 

"Anything happening at home?" she asked. 

"No it's pretty calm" I lied again.

"Are your mom and stepfather fighting about anything?" she asked as if she knew the answer.

"No, they're getting along. You know it's hard since...I mean..." I started continuing the lie. It was hard to say his name. My mouth refused to pronounce it. He was gone and it was my fault. Even if Billy and I didn't get along often, he was my brother and he protected me. He was protecting me from situations and people. Hell he was even protecting me from home. 

"It's alright you can say his name" she said trying to reassure me.

"I don't want to" I replied harshly.

"Yes Max but like I'm telling you since 14 days, the key to getting better is to talk and..."

"...don't close up about your emotions. Yeah I know I've been there for those 14 days too" I completed annoyed.

The bell rung and I got up waving goodbye to the therapist sarcastically. At least at the game I'd be able to do nothing and just sit for hours without having to care. I sat on a bench and looked the players coming in the gymnasium. Lucas waved at me but I didn't wave back, I was still upset that he was dating other girls even though we broke up and I didn't want him to think that I was one of those girls that were there just for attention. 

"Welcome everyone I hope you all are having a good day! Before starting the game I would like to take a minute to think about the people who died in the tragic Starcourt mall's fire. Remember everyone one of them. Be thankful for life and health. Today we are thinking about someone especially, he was on this team and was one of the best player and person we knew. He was sweet and nice even thought he had bad temper." Elena, a tall brunette with brown eyes who was on the cheerleading team, pep talked. 

We all knew who she was talking about, it made me sick. Eyes were on me, pity eyes. Elena and I hated each other I couldn't stand her and she felt the same way. I just hoped she wouldn't say his name. 

"Yes today we are remembering Billy." She declared sadly.

I felt my stomach twist. I was feeling sick, Lucas was looking at me, in fact everyone was looking at me. 

"Max..." she started. 

Oh no what is she gonna say. I make eye contact with her.

"Come here, tell us a bit about your brother. Share stories with us." she ordered "nicely". 

I got up and walked down the stairs to the court. She gave me the microphone and looked at me with a grin. 

"Uh him and I were not very close and didn't get along very well but he always...uh...protected me. He was a sport junkie and loved nothing then working out. He was my brother and..." I said trying not to cry. Everyone was looking at me, I was feeling sick and stressed. I gave her back the mic and walked towards the stairs. I was about to put my headphones back on to distract me from all of this but a hand grabbed my arm.