Chapter 31: Settin' the woods on fire

Max's pov: 

"Mom why are you calling me?" I said surprised. 

"Neil called and said you stabbed him! What happened baby?!" she yelled panicked. 

"Things got bad at home mom. Very bad. Don't go." I ordered her. 

"I am home" my mom whispered a wave of scare coming up my spine. 

"Mom go. Get out. I can handle him you can't." I whispered. 

"WHO ARE YOU CALLING SUSAN?!" I heard the monster's voice. 

"Mom please get out" I whispered tears going down my cheek. 

"IS THAT MAXINE'S VOICE GIVE IT TO ME" Neil yelled. 

"No Neil...it's not" she spoke her voice shaking. I heard a loud noise and a smothered scream. 

"COME BACK HOME WE HAVE TO TALK ABOUT THAT CHIEF OF POLICE OF YOURS" he yelled. 

"He'll suspect something" I said coldly trying to make him change his mind. 

"I DON'T CARE FIND AN EXCUSE" he screamed. 

"I'll come back tomorrow I promise" I said a sob escaping my mouth. "Just please don't hurt her" I whispered sobbing. "Please don't hurt her" I whispered again. The phone hung up as I held it close to me starting to shake. 

"Max..." Lucas whispered placing himself in front of me. 

"He's hurting her..." I spoke as my whole body shivered. I looked at the boy my heart aching, he opened hi arms has I threw myself into them. He wrapped them tightly around me letting me cry hot tears kissing the top of my head multiple times. 

"It's okay Max" he whispered to me. "You're safe" he told me. 

"She's not" I cried. "My mom is not" I sobbed as he hugged tighter. The phone rung again as Lucas grabbed it. 

"Hello." he said in a cold deep voice. I heard the glitches of a voice. "I'm Max's boyfriend." he stated. "She is at Hopper's I just drove by" he spoke. "Can I speak to her mother?" he asked. "What do you mean I can't?" he angrily spoke. "Do you need help? Hopper's coming to check on you" he told. "Oh Mrs Mayfield!" he happily said causing a relief in my chest. "Actually Hopper invited you to come here with us! He's coming!" he spoke as he looked at Hopper who nodded. "Great see you in a few minutes!" he said as he hung up. "She's safe" he spoke with a dreadful voice. 

"Thank you" I spoke as I hugged him tightly. 

"I won't let that son of a bitch hurt you or your mom. I promised and I will keep that promise" he spoke. I went away to go see everyone else. 

"I apologize for that" I smiled. 

"You don't have to pretend with us Maxie" El innocently spoke. I stared at her, her eyes deeply in mine as if she could read my thoughts. "And no you're not a bother to us" she spoke getting up to take my hand. 

"Thanks El" I sighed in relief pulling her into a hug. 

"We all love you Maxie" she whispered. "Especially that guy" she said pulling away looking at Lucas. I chuckled as he looked at us confused. Hopper burst out in the room angrily. 

"I dropped your mother to an hotel and payed for the night" he spoke. 

"How was she?" I asked innocently. 

"Great except she had a fucking bruise on her face which that son of a bitch justified by her accidentally falling" he said in between his teeth. I looked at him as my body froze.