Ch.5 Fear

So I'm reading Fear by Michael Grant in the Gone series😍😍😍 So this chapter name is sorta ironic!

"Easy! Keep your chin up!" Rendi commanded. Kayla and Rendi were training that day as they had been for months. Kayla refused to think about family because if she did it would be to hard. Kayla was mastering sword fighting also guns. Kia had become her best friend and side kick. Or maybe she was his?

Kayla was drenched in sweat and her armor wasn't helping the heat. Finally Rendi called break and Kayla skipped off to meet Kia. He was outside painting flames on his hut.

"Nice!" Kayla high fiver him.

"Hey Kay! How was training?" Kia returned to painting.

"Good. Painting?"
He nodded focusing on a flame.

Kayla smiled. "Fire boy? Hello?"

"Oh! Look!" He pointed to a flame. In tiny writing it said 'Kay+Fire Boy=BFF'

"Kinda cheesy but I like it!" Kayla grinned at him.

"Your kinda cheesy! But I still like you!"

Kayla blushed.

Kia's face went red. "Not like 'Like,Like'! I mean.. You- I-"

"Yeah. I know what you mean. Like friend like." Kayla shuffled her foot.

"Yeah. Hey! Race ya!"

"To where?"

"Fulman huts? What do you say?"

Fulman meant Thunderbolt, Lightning, bolt, stroke of lightening, flash, sudden disaster in Latin.

"Haha I say eat my lightning trail!" Over that month staying here at Elemental camp she learned to harness her Fulman. She was the only Fulman in the whole camp.

Kayla shocked him just a bit. He shook for a minute then shot a fire ball. She dodged it with ease. She was more fast and nimble after training for a month with Master R.

She had met lots of people here and made lots of friends.

She ran ahead while Kia panted behind. She dodged fire balls and blasts of heat, while he lightning bolts and electricity.

She finally raced ahead and ran into her hut.

"Hah! Beat you." Kayla teased.

"Whatever!" He stuck his tongue out at her.

She reached over the table to the phone book.

She flipped until she found the right page. She pointed to it.

"Here Kia! This is for you!" She showed him the page.

"Mental institute." He read. He starred at it for a while then a slow smile spread across his face. "oh.. you think I'm mental?" He grinned. What was he up to?

"Oh I know you are..." Kayla giggled.

"Well let's see about that." He ran up and scooped her up, Kayla screaming with surprise, He laid her over his back, Her upside down, Squealing. They laughed for a while before he set her down.

"I'm glad your my best fiend." He pulled her close and folded his arms around her. She rested her chin on his shoulder.

"Me too... and your mine."
They finally broke apart.

"Alright enough cheesiness..." Kayla smirked and shouldered him.

"K Kay Olay!" He danced around like a bull tamer. Kayla sat down and watched him.
Finally he sat down and then very seriously he looked her In the eyes.

"Kayla. I know that we've only been friends for not very long and now I have to tell you something."
"Ok?" Kayla had no idea why but she was super excited.

"I wanted to tell you that.... I am totally NOT MENTAL!"

Kayla laughed at that but part of her was disappointed and she had no idea why either.

Some of his red hair fell onto his face. She brushed it off.

"You need a hair cut, fire boy." Kayla smoothed it the best she could.

"Yeah... but seriously when I said about the totally not mental thing I wanted to actually say something else." He looked nervous. That made Kayla even more excited for unknown reasons.
"Yeah?" Kayla said, her heart pounding in her ears.

"That I- DUCK!" Kia screamed. Kayla ducked.
Something flew over her head. A figure was standing there in the shadows.

"Well...Well...Well.... What do we have here?" The male voice mused.

"Who are you?" Kia demanded.

"Relax... I'm not going to hurt you or your pretty little girlfriend."

"She's not my-"

Suddenly Kia screamed he started slapping madly at his body.

"Stop! What are you doing to him?" Kayla cried.

"Nice to meet you too... Names Liji. Power of fear. Your boyfriend there is seeing thousands of tiny bugs eating through him." He snapped his fingers.

"Please! Stop!" Kayla cried.

"Oh it's noting to be afraid of."

"Please." Kayla was getting desperate now.

"I am fear can you feel the waves of terror coming off me?" Suddenly Liji stepped out of the shadows. He would have been handsome for not for the thick scars all along his face. He had long brown hair, neatly tied in a bun. His eyes were so brown they were almost black (like mine!) He had a jacket with red edges and no shirt. He was very muscular. He had a whip tied to his belt and very black pants. So black, they looked purple. He wore no shoes.

The whip worried Kayla.

Kia was still slapping himself. But his moves were getting slower and suddenly he dropped dead.

"No!" Kayla rushed over. Liji suddenly stood right in front of her.

"Foolish girl! It's an illusion! I can also deliver terror wanna see?" Liji winked. Kia suddenly was back up slapping himself. Still whimpering in terror. Finally he sat down and cried.

"You know his mother was killed that way." Liji laughed.

"Please." Kia sobbed.

"Anyway back to waves of terror." Suddenly Kayla was mortified. She wanted to scream and whither up and die. But she knew it was just an illusion. Kayla stuck her hands out toward him.

"Kayla! Don't." He was pale and shaky but Kia was good again.

"Sorry Kia." Suddenly the air crackled and steamed... POOF fear disappeared.

"Hahaha!" Liji crackled. "A Fulman?"

"Yes stay away mentus!"

"Ooh... little Fulman knows Latin!" Mentus meant
fear, dread, apprehension, terror, anxiety, fright.

"I know that Kia is Flamma but you... A Fulman?" He burst out cackling.

He Suddenly appeared. "Ok children grab on... or I'll whip you." Liji's eyes glinted with malice.
Kia grabbed on but Kayla held her ground.

"Never Mentus." Kayla spat. Suddenly he uncapped his whip and Crack! It hit Kayla with such force she fell back. her left side was bleeding, clothes ripped off.

"Haha! Come Fulman time for master to see you."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So yeah... That was fear and yeah you can guess he's a bad guy!

Yours in demigodishness and all that Peace out!✌️