Chapter 10 No powers in this XD

"Oh no! Poor, boy!" Ivy's forehead wrinkled.

"Kia." She shook him.

"Come there village ahead." She pointed to the trees in front of them. They hefted Kia up and continued. A lock of his reddish hair fell in Kayla's face, tickling her check. She blew a puff of breath at it to get it to dance away, it fell on her nose, smelling of mint and smoke.

They set Kia down beside the road both beat. Ivy pulled a wad of money from her pocket grinning.

After dropping Kia off at the hospital Ivy and Kayla went to the local burger joint. The burgers were greasy and yucky, but Kayla was just happy to have fast-food. She missed how her mom made her patties and made a little smiley face with the ketchup and mustard. Claiming it was a "happy meal"

"Stop!" Kayla screamed at herself. Ivy was too busy munching on her burger to notice a small tear roll down the cheek from the girl across from her.

Kayla hastily rubbed the tear away. She excused herself. Ivy was going to order another burger for herself. Kayla needed air.

She stepped outside. She probably looked like a homeless child. With scraggly hair and dirty stained, jeans, not to mention her ripped tee shirt, no wonder people were whispering, and looking at her funny. She got out the money Ivy gave her. 50 bucks. Not bad. Just enough for a hair cut and maybe a change of clothes.

After asking a few people she managed her way to the mall. Ivy told her to meet her at the hospital at 3. Kayla was concerned about her friend. Poor Kia. The doctors said that he had very little energy, from lack of sleep. But Kayla knew it was from the battle with Liji. The doctors restricted him from drinking fluids while he was taking his medicine.

"He would be back to normal with some water and a day's rest. She muttered. She walked up to the receptionist at the front desk of the hair salon.

"How may I help you-eh... Miss?" She pushed her small glasses up her nose.

"Uh.. Haircut?" Kayla's mother usually cut her hair.

"I'm sorry do you-eh... Have money?" Obviously she was startled by her appearance.

"Yup!" Kayla held up the 50 dollar bill.

"I'm sorry miss you need a reservation."

Kayla sighed. Just her luck. "Oh well then. Thanks for nothing." And with a curt wave she turned on her heel and headed to the gym showers. After taking a short freezing shower using soap from the sink she felt a little better. She picked out a sweater, a tee shirt, and a pair of jeans, along with a small pack. She was about to head back to the hospital when she heard someone call.

"MISS! Kid! You! With the backpack!!" A plump lady with long blonde curly hair came plodding out of a makeup store.

"We are offering free makeovers if you'd like!" She grinned.

"Are you saying I need one?" Kayla crossed her arms.

"N-no I-" she began.

"I'm just joking." Kayla grinned. After a few hours of prepping she looked like she could pass for 18. With full on makeup and blue highlights in her newly cut choppy hair, and a bag full of free beauty supply. And plus she had 10 dollars to spare. She checked her new watch, 2:55. Darn! She hurried out into the street sprinting in her battered sneakers. She arrived at the hospital ten minutes late. Ivy sat at Kia's bed side.

"He need water." Ivy said when Kayla arrived.

"I know. But the nurse won't let him." He did get some water, but it wasn't enough to strengthen him. Kayla smiled. She pulled out the IV from Kia's arm. He grunted and his eyes fluttered.

"Shhh..." She smoothened his hair.

"Kayla." He murmured. She froze. Did he just say-

"Kayla." He repeated more softer.

"Are you awake?" She whispered. No reply.

"I'll go get some water." Ivy said. Muttering something under her breath in a different language.

Kayla slowly began to unhook him from all machines. She was at the last one when the door opened and the nurse came in with a medicine tray.

"What are you doing?" She shrieked.

"I- uh.." Busted...

Hi I know I am late DX but hey it's a working progress!! So here is a unusually long chapter! It's mainly just a filler and character development :p.... Sorry may not be the best editing I am doing this really late at night and I'm half asleep! Lol! 😆

Yours in demigodishness and all that peace out✌️