Chapter 25 plan to action

Kayla's POV

I dreamt of my mother that night. I barely ever dream, but they have been coming more often lately. I always wake up screaming or with tears streaming down my face. I just blame it on the stress whenever anybody asks about it. I say I dream of death or some other lie. I am sitting in the sun. My mother laughing next to me. Her caramel curls are bouncing as she laughs. Her mocha eyes sparkling. I smile.

"Kayla," her face grows hard.

"Yeah?"

"You aren't going to live. Call the mission off. It's suicide. Liji doesn't mess around with these things. Your father was just like you, irrational," she snarled.

"M--"

"No one cares about your love life issues. If you are going to do anything. You have to drop the boys. You hear me? Kiddo, come home. I miss you," she cooed in a softer tone.

"I-I miss you too... But I have to stay here. Liji will just come after me."

"This isn't your fight. It's your fathers and mine. You got dragged in, I wish I could help. I have no idea where you are, I'm worried sick, kid."

"I know--"

"But," she drew out a dagger and stepped closer, resting the blade on my shoulder. I tried to move but my body seemed to freeze in place. She pressed down, thick, gooey, hot liquid trailed down my arm. Pain shot up my arm. I cried out. She just smiled, grimly. "I don't understand why you stay with them. Your friends. Are they an asset or liability?" She seemed to hiss and disappear. I bolted up. Awake. My arm stung painfully. I gasped. The trail of blood from the dream was on my shoulder. Thanks mom! You see your daughter for the first time in months so you decide to give her a little present! I sighed. Smacking my head against the pillow. Maureen stirs. She's a little 14 year old, lightning wielder. She can only manage little sparks here and there but she's determined. You gotta give her that.

"Kayla?" She squeaks.

"Yeah it's me, Mo." I started calling her Mo. She was a really sweet girl with pixie-like features. She had wispy dirty-blonde hair, and pale green eyes.

"You're leaving aren't you?" She quivers.

"Oh. You must of heard us. Don't tell anyone, Mo. I have to," I said bluntly. I heard a strangled sob.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I just... Don't want to be alone." Crap. She's just a kid. What am I supposed to tell her?!

"Uh...Yeahwell..." I said quickly. Think Kayla! Think! "You'll get the whole cabin to yourself!"

"I want to help," she sniffs.

"You can help, by staying here," Thump!

"What was that?" I see her outline sit up.

"I don't know," I sit up to, bringing my warm feet to the cold wooden cabin floor. I open the door to Evan's room. Lilly is curled around him.

"Kayla?" Evan sat up groggily. Blade offered a room apart from Mo for them, being a 'couple' and all.

"Nope. It's the pizza man," I murmur. He cracks a smile.

"Nice, in that case, I'll order a big fat large with extra cheese and pepperoni," he thinks for a moment. "Oh and a large coke!"

"Did you hear that?" I ask, sitting on the bed next to him.

"Yeah, should we check it out?" I hold up a finger and creep over to the window. Oh my god. The whole town is on fire. Elementions are running all around, water and storms pouring on the fire, the fire flickers green then roars even hotter than before. Mentus. I will find you and make you pay for this. Children sit in awe, tears streaming down their soot stained faces. I saw Blade running up to our cabin. I open the door for her.

"Evacuate!" She gasps. I nod, coaxing Mo and Evan with a Lilly in tow out.

"Everyone okay?" We all nod. She points to the square where all the people were milling around. Kids hugged their parents. Many were crying. Blade's eyes were filled with tears. It might be from the ash though.

"Kayla!" My heart pulsed. Kia. I had the urge to wrap my arms around him and kiss him. I didn't, though. Not with Evan. "Liji is here," he gasps for breath. Obviously run the whole way. "I gotta help people!" He runs through a lone fire, jumping into a scorching building, looking for stragglers. Liji is here. And I'm going to kill him. I kiss Evan on the cheek and grip my dagger, running out into the village.

I love you all!!!! LIKE SERIOUSLY! SO MANY READS, COMMENTS AND VOTES!!! Makes me sorta think I can write... Ahh who am I kidding? I suck... 😂👎🏻

~M

P.s the chapters are so short! I know! I'm going to update more and the chapters might be a little short.. So bare with me! I get out of school June 15 I think... Or maybe 16.... Idek... Whatever! Love "ya'll"! (I'm not southern! XD)

Xoxo