Chapter 26 sheild

Kayla's POV

----------------------------------------------------------------

I ran through the smokey village, my eyes streaming from the smoke, my feet pounding on the cement. A girl with a water orb chucked it at a blazing home, a small girl huddled by a dead woman, crying. I was going to find him. Why was I soft on him before? He didn't deserve it. I growled, narrowing my eyes and ran farther into the streets. A girl with blue hair and big green eyes stepped in my path. Her eyes wide and innocent. Her lips curled into a small smile. Her head cocked. She had a glinting sword in her hand.

"Liji wants you dead," she stated.

"I don't care. Move or die," I snarl. She just smiles wider and emits a tinkling laughter.

"Love, you can't kill me," she squeals, shutting her eyes and dipping her head, beaming like a pleased puppy. I draw out my dagger.

"Want to test that theory?" I try to summon lightning from the sky. It rumbles. She looks startled. Oh. She must not know my power. Good. Very good.

"Stupid kids playing with lightning," she grunts, stepping closer. It happens in a flash. As soon as the bolt comes down to touch her a giant bubble made of swirling blue convexity encircles her. She laughs. "You're the stupid kid? Haha! I have a force field."

"I can see that," I beam, trying to figure this girl out. I take a step closer. "I can also see that you're a coward. I mean who has that power? They must be a coward." Her face flickers for a second then she recollects herself, a cool smile across her face.

"It's a smart strategy."

"Ah, but you have to get someone in your shield to kill them. Therefore they can kill you as well. Want to test it?" Before she can respond I jump through the shield. Electricity convulses my body. I'm resistant to it, but I've never taken this much into my body before. I gasp in pain. The girls eyes flicker and she moves to stab me with her sword but suddenly a blade protrudes through her chest and she opens her mouth but only blood trickles out. She falls to her knees then flat on her back. Kia pulls his sword out and smiles grimly at me. I run, falling into his chest. Wrapping my arms around him.

"K-Kia... It hurts..." I say. He strokes my hair.

"We have to get out of here. You're alright," he stands up, wrapping an arm around me and lifting me up, carrying me bridal style. I grunt. His eyes are glazed over, his mouth a grim line. I can faintly hear screams, the roar of the fire.... But white noise is over taking my hearing, and I'm floating away. My head spins, my vision brightens and dulls rapidly, everything turns to pixels. I can feel myself about to go out... Suddenly pain hits me like a dagger in my head. I'm screaming. Kia's voice is screaming at me. 'What's wrong?!' I can faintly hear it. Then the worst pain I've ever felt in my entire life hits me, my vision flickers then dims. Then off.