'pilot'

The 5 members of rescue squad 3 sit in the rig as they race to a house call when the radios pick up

"Yo, Severide, Strand, how soon till you can take Darden off my hands?" Matt Casey the lieutenant for truck 81 asks the two lieutenants of the rescue squad with a laugh, "Andy makes squad the day after I'm no longer in charge" Kelly declares, "the day we take him off your hands is the day we aren't on squad anymore" Carter adds with a laugh as they pull up to the scene, walking up to where casey and darden stand, "think there's a guy in the attic" casey informs, "I'll raise the aerial" andy announces, "he could be on the stairs, in the hallway, anywhere, we'll go in back, work our way up, case of beer we get to him first" severide says, "just vent the back" matt instructs the squad members as they follow in after kelly and carter.

"Halligan" kelly instructs as capp hands him one allowing him to open the back entrance, "let's go!" kelly instructs as he enters, "eyes on the stairs, hallway and anywhere a tenant could be!" carter instructs as she begins to search alongside kelly, "hey, check over there!" kelly instructs as he and carter continue their joint search, the two lieutenants radio's crackle to life, "severide, strand, do we have a vent?" matt questions, "casey, there is no vent" kelly says, movement can be heard upstairs as darden searches the attic at the same moment kelly spots an air duct and pushes carter down to protect her from the impending blast, "get down!" kelly shouts warning the rest of his team as a blast rips through throwing him down forcefully.

4 weeks after the tragic events of the house fire which killed Andy Darden, the 3 lieutenants of 51 sit in chief bodens office.

"Mayor Emanuel's coming by on Saturday to mark the month since Darden" boden reveals pausing briefly before continuing, "this animosity has got to stop, you three are supposed to be leaders here, lead by example, we've all been through it, Andy was a friend to all of us" boden finishes, kelly turns to look at casey, the tension having only really been between the two squad lieutenants and casey, "yeah, he was" kelly remarks, "he was family not a friend, family" carter adds, "Is there something you two want to say?" matt questions, "see this? this right here, this is exactly what I'm talking about" boden points, "you're right, chief, I'm sorry, we're sorry, It's all good" kelly apologetically says on behalf of himself and carter, "we're fine, chief" casey assures, "then that's enough for now" boden decides allowing the 3 lieutenants to leave his office.

Kelly drags Carter into their shared office during a heated searing kiss pulling away to lock the door and shut the blinds he pushes the woman down onto his bunk hovering over her.

"Talk about blowing off steam" carter remarks nibbling on the older man's ear lobe causing him to let out a groan as he fumbles with the woman's shirt, "lift" kelly instructs, the woman complies allowing the man to get his way before the two head back to the squad table acting as if they hadn't just had sex in their office.

Carter watches as the new truck candidate gives a school class a tour when casey appears.

"See, this house is special because it has a rescue squad, squad three serves a big piece of the city, they're experts at water rescue, extraction, pretty much everything, they're, like, the best of the best" the candidate explains, carter elbows kelly convincing him to bow sarcastically with her, "why aren't you with them?" a child questions causing carter to snigger earning a kick under the table from kelly, "well, I mean, I plan to be, my father was a member of this squad years ago" the candidate reveals.

"Mills, right? last to show, first to go, that's the rescue squad" Matt says cockily, "you truck guys do such a good job getting everything ready for us, why would we want to take that away from you?" kelly asks, "kids, you should know they make the rescue helmets extra big to fit their heads inside them" matt remarks, "funny because last I heard truck take the easy way out" carter shoots back, "there are two types of firefighters, those who are on squad, and those who wish they were on squad" kelly adds prompting mills to lead the kids away, "bet we get an application from him by the end of the month" kelly declares, "he wants you, you two can have him" matt shrugs walking away as the alarm goes off, "pin-In accident, columbus drive bridge, ambulance 61, engine 51, truck 81, squad three, battalion 25" the alarm announces prompting the teams to rush.