better to lie

Kelly pulls the cord on the vacuum which prevents shay from continuing as carter who has just got home after filling in for the squad lieutenant from first shift until relief could get there sniggers.

"Did I wake you?" Shay asks, "Yeah" kelly says in an annoyed tone, "sorry! I just wanna get the place clean" shay explains in the same tone, "look, my dad's only coming for a few days, he won't care about the carpet" kelly assures, "baby, trust me it's not your dad that's got her scrubbing the place" carter says as shay groans, "Is that this week?" shay asks with another groan as kelly spots the trash bags, "oh, the bags. I just, I, everywhere I look, I see Clarice, and I just want to get it out so I can move on or whatever" shay explains, "all right, listen, I'll get it down to the dumpster when I get back up, okay? and I'll get that to goodwill" kelly says looking at the crib, "no, no, no, that stays" shay instructs, "why?" kelly questions, "I, I want to have a baby, look, Clarice ripping my heart out for a second time was, you know devastating, but when I held Wesley in my arms for the first time, I never felt so much purpose or so connected to anyone ever and it's really expensive, but I'll figure it out, I'll work extra shifts, or, you know, whatever" shay explains, "Shay, you don't need to be making any decisions right now" kelly reason, "I've made the decision, I'm gonna have a baby" shay declares, "she's set on this there's no changing her mind and I for one know she's going to make an amazing mom and I think she's making a great decision" carter muses as kelly leads her up the stairs to bed.

Kelly holds Carter in his arms with his chin resting on her head as his dad, benny enters the firehouse causing him to let go.

"Hey dad" kelly greets, "hey kelly" benny greets pulling his son into a hug, the two pull away as benny hugs carter, "seeing you here is I don't know" benny explains pausing to find the words, "I'm humbled, and very proud" benny finishes causing kelly to beam as the duo lead the former firefighter to the pa system, "smoke eater in the house!" kelly announces causing the crew to gather on the apparatus floor, "candidate, front and center, you don't let a smoke eater hump his own bags" matt instructs as mills joins the crew and picks up benny's bags, he straightens up and offers benny his hand, "Peter Mills" mills introduces, "Benny Severide" benny introduces as the two shake hands, "oh, yeah, yeah, I got it" mills says as he looks at kelly realising the connection, "okay, well, welcome" mills muses, "thank you" benny says gratefully as boden joins the group on the floor, "Wallace, It's good seeing you" benny greets, "here for the academy dinner, I take it?" boden asks, "yeah, among other things, you going?" benny asks, "giving the opening speech" boden explains, "ah, well, you always were good at telling stories" benny recalls, "how long you in town for, Benny?" boden asks, "a week or so" benny says, "hmm" boden states, "hope it's not an inconvenience my hanging out here" benny says, "not at all" boden states as the alarm goes off cutting the tension, "truck 81, squad 3, ambulance 61, multiple injuries" the alarm announces, benny stops kelly and carter, "hey, new candidate, Is that Henry Mills' kid?" benny asks, "yeah" kelly confirms, "sure is" carter adds, "come on, ride along" kelly instructs.

A distressed man runs up to Matt.

"What happened?" matt asks, "dude flipped out on the DJ and threw these smoking cans, people are trapped in there!" the man explains, "this is battalion 25, give me an EMS plan one and a level one Hazmat, mask up, It's game time" boden instructs, "they're in there too tight!" otis shouts as he tries pulling the doors open with matt, "then we pull them out from the back" kelly instructs as they head towards the back, "help me, please!" a woman begs as she hangs from a window, "hey, hey, don't move! we're coming to get you!" kelly says, "cruz, mills, assist severide and strand! everyone else with me" matt instructs, "mills, get me a 35-foot ladder" kelly instructs, "got it" mills says as he grabs the ladder, kelly climbs up the pipe grabbing the woman, "mills hurry up with that ladder!" carter orders causing mills to run over with it with the help of squad and cruz, "lieutenant!" mills shouts up to kelly as they get the ladder in place.