a little taste

Carter, Shay and Clarice all stand in the kitchen when the door opens and kelly enters the apartment.

"Hey" shay greets as he heads into the kitchen, "hey" kelly greets back as he pulls carter in for a kiss they pull away quickly, "well?" shay asks, "don't leave us hanging" carter prompts, "full duty starting next shift bang!" kelly announces, "congratulations" shay muses, kelly wraps her in a hug and lifts her off the ground proceeding to do the same to carter placing a kiss on her lips, "I knew you'd be back in no time" carter admits, "pretty great, huh?" kelly asks, "yes, so great, so happy for you" shay agrees, "amazing actually can't wait for you to get back the relief squad member isn't quite as good at the job" carter muses, "thank you" kelly says gratefully, "uh, hey, just a heads-up, Eric Whaley's still there" shay warns, "I got no beef with him" kelly shrugs, "he still got beef with you believe me he does" carter reveals.

Kelly heads into the firehouse hand in hand with carter, the crew rush over to greet him causing him to let go of carters hand.

"Welcome back" boden greets as the two share a hug pulling apart after a moment, "it's about damn time" boden remarks, "thanks chief" kelly says, "and the necks 100% right?" herrmann asks, "yeah, you wanna spar a few rounds after shift and find out?" kelly offers playfully, "no, I'm good" herrmann declines the offer as carter takes pouch from otis' arms, "hey, this is, uh, Pouch, the best damn thing to ever happen to this house" otis introduces as carter retakes her position next to kelly as he strokes pouch, "Otis is transferring" mouch announces, "what? come on, It's not like I'm being rocketed into space, I'm going over to Morningside" otis explains, "Kelly, your relief squad member, Eric Whaley" boden introduces, "It's been a while" kelly says shaking whaley's hand, "yeah" whaley agrees, "you two know each other?" boden asks, "yeah, I was, uh engaged to Eric's sister" kelly explains, "ah, got it, the ex not to be named, Renee?" mouch asks, "well, now that you're back, Whaley will move over to engine and relieve Jeff Turner for the next few shifts" boden explains as kelly wraps his arm around carters waist lacing their hands together as he presses a kiss to her head, "okay, everyone, listen up, some of you may know Gabby's brother, Detective Antonio Dawson, he has some information from CPD for us" boden announces, "thanks, chief, last few weeks, I've seen a spike in fatal overdoses, M.E.'s office has connected at least a dozen deaths to a toxic batch of hеrο¡n, Now be aware, it's laced with fentanyl and in most cases does not respond to the normal protocol of naloxone, we are now approaching each overdose as a potential homicide" antonio explains when the alarm rings out, "truck 81, Squad 3, Engine 51, Ambulance 61, structure fire" the alarm announces, carter looks at kelly, "ready to get back to it lieutenant severide?" carter asks, "ready as ever lieutenant strand" kelly says chuckling.

The crew pull up to a fire in a bar.

"Looks like the fire's in the back, probably where the kitchen is, Truck, get inside, open up the windows and the exits" boden instructs, "there's somebody in here!" cruz shouts as the two squad lieutenants head for the kitchen, "all right, we'll find him!" kelly says, "fire department! Is there anybody in here?" carter calls out ducking in preparation for the incoming flash over, "Severide, Strand, give me a progress report" boden instructs, "primary search of the kitchen negative!" kelly reports, the two continue searching for the man when carter spots him, "hey, he's over here!" carter shouts, "okay let's clear a path" kelly instructs, carter watches as kelly and hadley clear a path and get him out with the help of capp and tony, "eric" kelly shouts as he sees whaley and carter walking out of the building the two having done a search to ensure nothing would re alight the building, carter taps the man politely getting him to stop as kelly walks over, "look, man, when the whole thing went down, you and I are weren't talking, obviously, and I never got a chance to apologize, I really am sorry for what happened" kelly apologises his hand finding its place on carters side, "we used to be friends once, right?" kelly asks, "I'm only here a couple more shifts" whaley says walking away, "you tried and that's what matters" carter assures.