hanging on

Squad enter a factory, kelly and carter head straight to the victim to assess the severity of the situation to come up with a way to get the victim out quickly.

"How we doing?" kelly questions, "I just need some help getting it out" the man explains, "okay, well, just stay with us" kelly instructs, "the power's off, it's locked out, holy cow" herrmann says as he catches sight of the man's arm, "more like holy crap" carter corrects, "bone saw" mouch remarks, "what do we got, excuse me" gabby asks, "trapped arm" carter says as she and severide rush around to the back of the machine where casey stands waiting, "okay, we gotta get him out now" gabby demands, "all right, loosen it up a little bit" kelly instructs hadley and vargas as he and carter work on the back of the machine, "Garrett, we're gonna try to ease your arm out now, okay?" gabby says as the man groans in response, "here we go, one, two, three" gabby instructs as they try to ease the man's arm out, the man screams in pain "stop! I can't! I can't!" the man begs causing the crew to stop as casey walks over, "gear segments come right off, wait, If we get the gears off, we can separate the casing and travel with it, we need power drills, 1/4 inch hex, an allen key" casey instructs as vargas listens placing the tool bag on a counter handing the necessary tools to casey who hands three drills to capp who proceeds to pass two drills down to his lieutenants who begin drilling immediately, carter passes the last piece of casing down to matt as the others lift the arm and get the man onto the gurney, "Casey, Strand, Severide, we need you guys, we gotta get this rig off" shay instructs, "yeah" carter confirms as they head out to the ambulance watching as the man is loaded in before the 3 lieutenants climb in themselves allowing shay to head for lakeshore, the 3 lieutenants follow the gurney in watching as the medical team knock the man out and apply a torniquet to allow them to unscrew the final part of machinery and slide the pieces out, the squad lieutenants head out of lakeshore leaving matt to talk with his fiancée, the two catch shay on her way back in, "hey" shay greets causing kelly to turn around, carter following suit, "hi" carter greets back, "hey, don't suppose you could point me towards the toradol? I might have twisted my shoulder again" kelly explains with an arm on each girls shoulder, "you're dreaming" shay remarks, "he is" carter agrees, "all right, don't point, just look toward it, I'll do the rest" kelly says, "ugh" shay says pushing him away as she goes to join gabby at the desk pulling carter along with her when kelly pulls her back by her radio belt in retaliation as he grabs carters radio belt pulling her out of the hospital with him.

Carter enters her and kelly's shared office and sits herself on the end of kelly's bunk to talk just as the alarm goes off.

"Squad three, truck 94, construction accident, 6248 South Francisco" the alarm announces causing the two to head out their shared office and to the squad truck, the two lieutenants run towards the scene looking up at the victims, "I'll need your aerial on the other side of the church, do the best you can, we'll do the rest" kelly instructs the lieutenant from truck 94, "let's gear up, Vargas, when they lock it down, have the rope bag at the ladder ready to go" carter instructs, "got it" vargas confirms, "get that truck over there! let's go!" kelly instructs as the squad gear up, carter, kelly and hadley head up the ladder both lieutenants stopping to survey the situation as hadley throws a rope bag down carter quickly following suit, "talk to us" kelly instructs, "he's slip" one man starts as the other cuts him off, "I'm loose!" the other man shouts, "try to stay still" carter instructs as kelly throws his rope bag down, "coming to you, hold tight now" kelly instructs as he and carter begin to head down reaching the two men fairly quickly, "all right, hang on me" kelly instructs, "I-I can't move" one of the men says, "can you reach out with your other arm?" carter asks, "I can't move it, no" the man says, "It's my fault" the other man explains, "it's all right, just be calm, okay? we're gonna get both of you down" kelly says, carter grabs the line hadley sends down, "this blue line's for you, gonna hook you up, take you down first" carter explains as kelly hooks the man up to the line, "line secure!" hadley shouts, "okay, you can let go of him, we've got it" kelly says as carter helps the man up, "no need to push off, small steps, here we go" carter instructs as she takes small steps demonstrating the technique for the man, "keep it steady up there, Hadley" carter shouts as she continues climbing down listening to kelly talking to the other man, "all the way to the pavement, you've got it" carter assures as they reach the wall when a metal fixture comes flying down causing the man to panic slightly, "doing great, doing great" carter reassures as they reach the bottom, she begins unhooking herself from the line as a member of truck 94 unhooks the man quickly jumping back as a plank of wood fly's down as vargas picks up the rope and helps hadley get kelly and the other man down safely.

Back at the firehouse carter and kelly make their way towards the locker room when vargas stops them having already tried to bug carter on the way back from the call.

"Hey, lieutenants, just so you know, I've completed all the descent rescue training" vargas says, "when we think you're ready, you'll be the first to know" kelly explains, "if we thought you were ready today you would've gone down but you're not ready yet you'll get your chance we just want to let you settle in first" carter adds, "right, I just didn't want you to waste" vargas starts before kelly cuts him off, "hey!" kelly warns, "all your resources" vargas finishes, "let it go, I've got other things to worry about besides your career track" kelly warns as he opens his locker, vargas exits the room leaving the two lieutenants as kelly gets himself ready for a shower calling an ex fling to try and get more painkillers placing his phone down on a chair as he grabs the other chair and heads for the shower placing the chair down, carter enters the shower area having been in the bathroom to find kelly sitting in the shower in a pained position she enters the shower and bends down to meet kelly's eye level rubbing her thumb over his hand in comfort.

Carter and Kelly walk the halls in search of vargas, carter having decided it was the perfect time to do a rope drill.

"You seen Vargas?" carter asks as hadley passes them, "yeah, he's heading in, oh, hey, Severide, you got a phone call a few minutes ago, by the way, some woman, name was Anna?" hadley says, "oh, okay, thanks" kelly nods as he follows carter towards the apparatus floor as vargas walks through the doors, "hey, Vargas, grab your rappelling gear" carter instructs, "what? shift's ending" vargas questions, "you heard her" kelly backs carter up as carter explains the drill to vargas, squad head up to the roof to wait, "there he is" capp says as vargas' hand comes into sight, "and time! 6:42, ladies, he obliterated your old time" carter announces earning laughter from the group, "get up here" kelly instructs, "I'm not helping his ass up here" capp remarks chuckling as kelly opens a chair for vargas and capp grabs him a beer from the cooler passing it to kelly, "now sit your ass down, vargas, you earned it" carter instructs, vargas unhooks himself panting from the climb, "welcome to squad" kelly muses opening the beer can and handing it to vargas, "before breakfast?" vargas questions, "after shift" kelly corrects as carter joins the two men and the 3 clink their cans together, "have a seat" kelly instructs. "Did you ever call Anna back?" hadley questions, carter looks down at her phone hiding the visible deflation in her mood, "nah" kelly shrugs, "oh, now I remember, Anna, yeah, she was a pharmaceutical rep or something like that" hadley explains, "was she? we never talked" kelly says, "I'm gonna change and head home. I promised to facetime with my mom" carter gets up and heads down into the firehouse changing into fresh clothes as she heads home with shay.

Happy wednesday guys! I nearly forgot to update as life's been so hectic this last week. Looming closer and closer to carter and kelly getting together!

anyone interested in a 9-1-1 Lone Star fic  oc lone star x buck ?