warm and dead

Kelly walks out the elevator onto the sky deck of willis tower, carter stands back watching as kelly takes in the view, she goes to join kelly but her feet freeze on the spot, kelly reaches his hand out.

"No, no, no, no, no, no, no" carter warns laughing, "come on, you climb on roofs, climb up ladders, take down people threatening to jump you can do the sky deck" kelly insists, "no! that's different" carter protests as kelly pulls her onto the glass, "wow" carter stares out at the city, kelly pulls out his phone and opens the camera, "do you mind taking our picture?" kelly asks a man, "sure" the man agrees, kelly steps back pulling carter in front of him he places his chin on the top of her head and wraps his arms around her from behind as the two smile, kelly takes his phone back and places a kiss to the side of carters temple as he leads her over to the window, "apartment fire, ten-car pile up, hand caught in a machine" kelly recalls as he points at each location, "I remember those calls, we're gonna make some new memories in Madrid though like clubbing, beach days, date nights, movie nights" carter muses. "you think I'm gonna go to the beach so you can just lay there and tan all day" kelly teases, "you can just miss out on the cute tiny bikinis I'll have then" carter retorts, "that I cannot do" kelly disagrees, the two head into the elevator, "you know I've never done that before?" kelly asks, "really you seemed like you've been before" carter shrugs, "this is gonna be the first of many new things" kelly muses as he kisses carter, "yeah" carter agrees as she looks at kelly, "what is it?" kelly asks, "I was doing some more research on the rehab unit and I came across this doctor" carter explains, "doctor?" kelly asks, "um, it turns out that he's the chief of orthopedics over at river forest hospital and he's pioneering some kind of experimental spinal surgery, shay contacted him via kendra and explained your situation and he wants to meet you" carter explains, "really?" kelly asks, "yeah, you know what? maybe this will help you recover faster" carter muses as she runs a hand down kelly's face, the man pulls her closer and presses a kiss to her temple and places his arm around her.

Carter enters the common area with kelly close behind her, the duo having decided to visit the firehouse.

"Oh, what the hell? You've got a medical furlough, Severide, that means you're medically required to be out drinking" hadley remarks, "yeah, well this may be more than just a furlough, I'm moving to Spain with Carter" kelly announces taking carters hand in his own boden takes the two to his office, "between your history with us and your father's distinguished career, I can get you arson investigation, or the academy, your choice" boden informs, "I appreciate it, Chief, I do, but we're leaving" kelly explains, "Kelly, Carter just sleep on it" boden says, "I have and so has Carter" kelly argues, "hey, you okay?" carter asks noticing the change in bodens body language, "you were right about Ernie, Kelly, he called, said he was in trouble, and then he hung up, right before we responded to another dumpster fire, I don't know where to find him" boden explains, "you tried to help him, chief" kelly reassures, "did I?" boden asks, "you reached out to him, you invited him in" kelly says, "Kelly, I saw him with this man everything about it felt wrong" boden says, "and you handed it over to the police" carter interjects, "and what have they done, huh? nothing" boden argues.

The two lieutenants exit the office finding shay waiting for them.

"Hey, I must have misheard Capp, because he said something about you two going to Spain, I thought it was only a possibility" shay says, "yeah, I was gonna tell you this morning, but, I missed you" kelly explains, "how long have you known this?" shay asks, "a day, maybe two" kelly shrugs as the alarm goes off sending shay running.

The couple sit in the chief of orthopaedics surgery's office as he explains the procedure to kelly.

"We take parts of bone and cartilage from one vertebra and fuse it onto the next, and then we inject your own platelets into the area, which increases healing, recovery time could be four weeks instead of one year" the doctor explains, "how come I didn't hear about this from my other surgeon?" kelly asks, "this isn't covered by an H.M.O, It's experimental, I'm not gonna lie to you, there are real risks here, including partial paralysis" the doctor reveals, "partial paralysis?" kelly asks as he and carter head to the elevator, I'm sorry, I, um, I guess I didn't realize how risky an experimental procedure is" carter apologises, "hey, if I'm gonna risk anything, I'll risk it on you and me in Madrid" kelly muses as the two stop walking, carter leans up for a kiss which kelly happily meets her in.

The two enter their shared apartment.

"Hey" kelly greets shay who gives the two the cold shoulder, "I said hey" kelly repeats as the two walk into the kitchen, "I know what you're doing" kelly reveals, "so do I Shay" carter adds, "oh, yeah? what am I doing?" shay asks, "you're not pissed at us because we didn't tell you it wasn't a possibility anymore first, you're pissed off us because you don't want us to go" kelly explains, "Clarice is moving in, she's gonna need one of your keys" shay requests.

That evening, kelly pulls up at the bar with carter, the two spot shay standing and waiting for them and head over to her.

"I'm a stupid ass, I know" kelly declares, "I already know I'm a bitch when I want to be so I'm not admitting anything" carter muses causing the two to smile, "yup" shay agrees, "and I'm sorry, I should've, I should've camped outside your room to tell you first, you're my best friend, Shay" kelly apologises, "I'm also sorry, I should've tried to catch you on your way out to tell you, you're also my best friend no matter how much we annoy each other and you're my partner in crime" carter says, "next time" shay warns holding up her taser, "hey" kelly protests as the trio break into laughter, "no next time, I swear" kelly insists, "I'm glad you're getting yourself healthy, even if it means I have to let you both go" shay muses, "no one's letting go" kelly says, "come on, let's go in, I'm cold" shay links arms with carter and kelly, "all right, yeah" kelly agrees as they begin to walk to the door, "hey, you know, tasers are totally against the rules" shay says, "yeah, I know that, It's page one" kelly confirms, "tasers are fun in chicago almost as fun as guns, you pull something that looks like one of the two out and they run" carter sniggers, shay opens the door as the trio unlink their arms, kelly's hand finding carters instantly as shay motions for the two to enter first, "all you" shay says as the two step in, "surprise!" the crew shouts, kelly pulls the two women into a brief group hug as they pull away the couple head to the bar, "I'm not sure what we're gonna do without you both" capp admits as the group toast to the couple.

Carter meets kelly at the sky deck.

"I'm getting the surgery" kelly declares as he brings the woman close pressing a kiss to the top of her head.

The two women watch through the window as the doctors begin to wheel kelly down to surgery, shay knocks the window causing kelly to look at the duo causing shay to wave and carter to follow suit.

It's wednesday and I remembered to update!