Chapter Twelve: Ogling You

Jisoo paced around the interior of the treehouse, picking up snack wrappers and tossing empty beer bottles into the cooler. She fixed up the sheets on the camping mattress to make it somewhat presentable, and shook her trembling hands in the air.

Calm down.

She owed Jennie an apology in person. Her signals were mixed, to say the least, and she didn't want Jennie thinking she was an emotional wreck who didn't know what she wanted. She knew damn well what she wanted.

************

Out the boathouse window Jennie saw that Jiyong and Chaerin were still snuggled up by the campfire. Most likely sleeping, but she knew they'd have questions she didn't want to answer if they saw her crossing through the trees onto the Dongs' property like a burglar in the night.

The prospect of hiking through the dark trees wasn't appealing either. She was less than thrilled with her attire, shorts and a tank top, and her hair was pulled back in a tangled mess, but she was still determined to accept Jisoo's invitation.

But how?

Then it hit her. Jennie stepped outside and closed the door delicately behind her. She tiptoed down the steps, all the while keeping her eye on her dozing parents. She couldn't wait to feel like a grown-up again, away from their judging surveillance. Loving, but judging

She entered the boathouse on the dry side and was glad to see the moon brightly spilling in through the gaping whole where the old doors used to be. No need to turn on the lights. She slipped silently into the canoe and undid the knots on the rope holding it in place.

With a few gentle strokes of the paddle she was out in the open lake. Jennie stayed several yards from shore, hoping Jiyong and Chaerin wouldn't choose those three minutes to look over. The moon was bright enough that they just might see her if they picked the right moment. At least her passage was silent.

As she passed the Dongs' property, no campfire, no lights, she tried not to think about the aliens under the water ready to drag her down into the slimy depths.

What am I, eight years old? Thanks for that one, Jisoo.

Jennie smiled at her own silliness and finally pulled up in front of Jisoo's place. She pulled the canoe onto the sand and hopped out.

Mission accomplished.

The treehouse was aglow off to the side of Jisoo's property. Jennie reached the bottom of the massive tree and looked up. Out popped Jisoo, hanging over the railing, grinning ear to ear.

"Come on up!" Jisoo shouted with a wave of her arm.

Jennie's heart raced and she struggled to get her labored breathing until control. Being around Jisoo always got her in such a nervous state.

Just relax.

A deep breath and slow release, and then she was climbing the ladder. At the top she grabbed for Jisoo's outstretched hand. Always a gentlewoman. Jisoo pulled her up the last little bit and enveloped her in a bear hug.

"Thanks for coming," Jisoo whispered over her shoulder.

"It took some stealthy maneuvering." Jennie giggled.

"I saw. A water approach. Clever."

Jisoo held the hug a moment longer, squeezing a little harder and letting her hands fall down Jennie's back just a little, grazing the top of her bum. Jennie was glad Jisoo couldn't see the schoolgirl smile on her face.

*******

Jisoo ducked into the interior of the treehouse and Jennie followed. It was even more adorable at night and she admired Jisoo's childlike attention to detail. The inside was lit up with a small camping lantern, a few candles, and a set of blue Christmas lights around the central trunk.