Twenty-Seven: Regatta Competition

Si-hyeon stood on the shore, hunched over the back of the canoe, while Jennie perched at the front, paddle in hand. She looked over at the other four canoes in the race, more specifically at Kim Soojoo and Kim Hanbin who gave the onlookers a raunchy makeout display before getting settled.

Her reality show crew were never far away, capturing the kisses as well as the preparatory and exhibitionist stretching by both of them.

The course ahead ran the length of the lake, turned at the far end, and continued back. A simple oval. Jennie was glad she had been practicing, and she wondered wat kind of canoeing experience a priss like Soojoo would have. Hanbin was muscley, that was for sure, but he probably had nothing on Si-hyeon experience on the water.

The cameras were rolling, and Mino the MC was counting them down.

"Four, three, two, one! And they're off!"

Si-hyeon pushed with all his might and the canoe skidded along the muddy shoreline before breaking free and gliding smoothly. He jumped into the back and Jennie gripped the sides as it rocked back and forth momentarily. She regained her composure quickly and they were both paddling

"All right, Si-hyeon! Great start!" She encouraged.

Right out of the gate they were ahead of the pack but a young couple three canoes away wasn't far behind. Jennie glanced back as she paddled feverishly, seeing Soojoo's face in knots as she heaved her paddle through the water. Hanbin's face was contorted, his brow furrowed in concentration. They were gaining.

Jennie focused on the course ahead, deciding that watching her competitor wouldn't change a thing, Si-hyeon's voice boomed from behind her as he kept them on pace with stroke stroke, no doubt something he'd picked up on the college rowing team. It wasn't customary for canoes, but it seemed to be working. They were one cohesive paddling machine, and she could sense the force with which Si-hyeon was pushing them forward.

They cut through the water with ease, the other racers sometimes popping into their peripheral vision, dropping out, and appearing again. They were generally ahead of the pack, but it was close.

Si-hyeon and Jennie approached the first turn in the coarse and Si-hyeon expertly turned his paddle on an angle that sent them careening around the floating markers. As they made the turn, the younger couple sailed by them, hooting and hollering.

"Let's go, Si-hyeon! Great turn!"

Straightening out again she looked back for a split second to see Hanbin and Soojoo coming around the bend. Their bickering voices carried over the water to Jennie's ears, strong and tense enough to cut through the whipping sound of the wind as they flew.

"You fucking ass!" Soojoo screamed, turning to yell at her partner in the rear. "Not like that!"

As they made the turn they slowed considerably and Hanbin was obviously having trouble turning the canoe from his position in charge of steering. The canoe's nose turned sharply towards the shore and they collided with large rocks.

"Don't yell at me, you dumb bitch!"

Oh, if only the cameras were getting this.

Hanbin seemed to recover and with a few hard, swift strokes of the paddle they were picking up speed again and coming down the lane behind Si-hyeon and Jennie.

The younger couple on their heels were tiring quickly and their initial burst of speed was waning. They began to fall back as Soojoo and Hanbin gained. Soojoo's eyes were glinting viciously as she made quick eye contact with Jennie ahead of her.

Once again she turned forward to the task at hand.

Focus!

In the middle of the course were several big floating buoys blocking their way.