Chapter Twenty-Nine: Regatta Champion

"Come," Joy said, grabbing Jennie's arm. "My place is closer than yours. Wouldn't want you to have to run the gauntlet again."

The various races and events of the afternoon were over, and Mino announced that the cocktail reception and awards ceremony would begin promptly at 8 pm. The crowd dispersed to go home and change from their flip flops and bathing suits into more suitable evening attire.

"But I don't have my stuff!" Jennie protested.

Joy raised an eyebrow. "Oh you of little faith."

In the rental center Joy produced a duffel bag. She unzipped it slowly for a dramatic reveal of the soft pink fabric inside.

"My dress!" Jennie cried, her hands covering her gasping mouth.

"Your mom brought it over earlier."

"Oh my god, you guys are amazing!"

Joy smiled. "Now let's get you prettied up for your awards."

They took their time down the gravel road to Joy's place and Jennie was relieved that no press had thought to venture that way in search of photo ops. Finally some peace and quiet.

Joy towered over Jennie in her chair, her fingers clutching a black pencil and delicately tracing a line across her eyelid. "Wing tipped liner to go with your vintage dress," she announced.

Jennie was by no means a hair and makeup enthusiast, so she smiled and nodded. "Whatever you say!"

"You must be so excited," Joy went on as she skimmed a mascara brush over Jennie's lashes. "This is the biggest awards ceremony we've ever had, and you're getting two! Not to mention the results of the online poll!"

"Bah." Jennie grunted. "It's all for show. It doesn't mean anything."

"Don't be silly." Joy corrected. "You're a media darling. Own it."

"If Kim Soojoo wants that treehouse, she's gonna take it, and no vote will stop her."

"I dunno about that. She has her career to think about. Or at least what's left of it."

Jennie shrugged. She was tired of discussing the whole affair, but the topic perked Joy right up and she felt bad shutting it down entirely.

She took a deep breath. "It's all kind of pointless now anyway."

"What do you mean?" Joy stepped back from her living doll, eyes wide.

"Well, Jisoo's gone. It all got to be too much for her. I think. Plus we had somewhat of a misunderstanding."

Joy was practically vibrating. "Spill! Spill!"

"Oy," Jennie began, mentally preparing herself to relive the ugliness. "I'm sure you read that interview with Taehyung? My ex?"

"Ick, yes."

"Right before that, he showed up at the cottage unannounced. He said he wanted me back, said he couldn't stop thinking about me, all the typical crap."

"Yeah?

"Then he kissed me."

Joy squealed.

"And Jisoo saw it."

"Oh fuck."

"Exactly." Jennie continued. "And the shitty thing is that Taehyung and I never - well - you know. Like, ever. I can't even remember the last time he kissed me before that. So you can imagine my surprise when he went for it. I froze."

Joy was clucking her tongue, her arms crossed over her chest. "Men." she scoffed. "Did Jisoo know about your history with Taehyung?"

"Not exactly. Not the embarrassing details."