001

October 1st, 1984

October 1st, 1984

•••

"Paradise at last."
My mother said slowing down towards this old apartment building, palm trees decorated behind it. Daniel was in the front seat pouring like a toddler.

My mother quickly got up, obviously excited about our move from Jersey. She got a job opening and wanted to go to California, so here we are, palm trees, and hot weather.

I got out of the car, helping my mother tot the luggage off of our car. I gave my brother a pathetic look, still seeing him melted into the seat.

I walked over to the car door was behind, and banged on the door. "Get your toddler ass outta here, and help our poor mother." I said, rolling my eyes at his pathetic act.

He huffed, getting out of the car, grabbing his bike that was on the mountain of bags, attaching his luggage onto the handles, pulling it inside of the dumpy looking apartment.

My brother kicking the gate door, following along with a grunt noise he made. Then a guy who fell back. "What are you? The newest UFC fighter or something?" I asked, running towards the fallen boy.

I had my hand out for the guy to use, "I am sorry about that, my brother can be a little clumsy." I said, glaring at him when I said the last part.

"No, no, it's alright." He chuckled, wiping his warm out blue jeans, my bright shook his hand apologizing as well.

"Freddy Fernandez, Apartment 17." Freddy said, with his 'surfer dude' accent. As he helped my brother pull the bike towards his apartment.

We walked into the big opening of the apartment doors, the garbaged water pool in the middle of it. Charming.

"Only pool you guys got?"
I asked, giving the nasty pool a disgusted look, that was disappointing. The only reason I was excited to move to this hell hole was for the pools, and beaches.

"Yeah, they scammed you?" Freddy asked, grabbing my brothers luggage from his bike, taking it up the stairs.

"Either they did, or my mother did." I said, rolling my eyes, see already bad luck. That's got to mean something, i sign. God telling me to get out of here while I have the chance maybe.

I stopped at the door, as we kept the conversation going with this Freddy guy. I mean, at least we've met someone. He seems like a good person to hang out with it.

I stood their third wheeling in this conversation between my brother and Freddy. Not wanting to be rude, I waited for it to end.

"Hey, their is a beach party tonight. You guys should come." Freddy said, holding his Jean jacket with the both of his hands.

I nodded my head at Daniel, he agreed nodding his head with mine. "Alright then, I'll get you guys tomorrow." Freddy said, walking away, before he snapped his fingers.

We finally both walked into the apartment, for such a shitty place it seemed very clean and neat. Right up my ally.

My mother kept pacing around the apartment,
Placing things where she wanted them decorated.  I looked around kind of pleased with what I saw.

"About the pool, I'll call first thing in the morning." My mother said, walking in front of the sink, seeing the sink wouldn't work properly.

"Hey ma, we got invited to a party. You think we can go?" Daniel asked, stuffing his hands in both of his pockets.

"Ah, see I told you. Good things are coming from this place." My mother smiled.

"Yeah, but I thought you wanted us to help you pack." My brother said, why would he bring that up? She obviously didn't care.

I shoved his shoulder, as he looked at me innocently like he didn't do anything. "I don't remember saying that." My mother said, already unloading the things.

"Thanks, ma." I said smiling gently.

My mom followed along with a gentle nod, still focused on our unpacking and things. I walked into the very small, and thing hallway, looking through the bedrooms finding which is mine.

I finally found the right bedroom, it was mine I could tell by the decorations I had in my pervious room.

My twined sized bed, fairy lights, little tv hooked on the wall, some pictures neatly placed above my wall above the dresser.

I threw my luggage in a small corner I had in my room, planning to pack it later on and not now from now excited I was.

I heard a ringing sound come from my yellow phone on my night stand. I slowly put it to my head in confusion, who would have my number, I am new to California?

"Hello?" I asked through the phone, curiosity struck my mind wondering who it could be, it could be someone back from Jersey.

"Hey stranger."
A rememberable voice said, i rolled my eyes, it was my ex. Billy, from our last encounter I'm sure he knew I didn't want to talk.

"Did you not get the hint the last time we spoke, Billy?" I yelled, slamming the phone on the holder thing, running my hands through my hair.

I will bet you uncle Louie gave him my number! Uncle Louie is so mindless, he probably ended up thinking we were still together.

I will save the story between me and Billy for another day.