2

I sat on a bed in the butterfly estate as I stared at the guard given to me by Oyakata-sama that rested on my blade. It was beautiful, silver, and round. The design was intricate, surely made by an excellent craftsman. The background was textured making it look like wood, wrapping around the 'wood' was thornless vines with small white flowers, and scattered around were a few petals. This gave it the look and feel of a beautiful overgrown home. Oyakata-sama had it commissioned specifically for me to celebrate my becoming a pillar.

    The news was still stunning to me. People train their whole lives to become one, and I truthfully never have. Becoming a pillar was never a goal for me like it was for Kyojuro, I had trained for the sole purpose of becoming stronger to defeat more challenging and dangerous demons. Though, I'm happy about this news regardless, and so were Kyojuro and Kanae.

    As suspected Kanae nabbed me for a check-up the second she could. On the walk there she was told the news of me becoming a pillar. She insisted that the next time the pillars were gifted a collective day together she would have to bring me along to a proper meal and introduce me to the others.

    And according to Kyojuro, that happened to be next week. So here I continue to sit as I wait for Kanae to return with a few medicinal herbs for me. Kyojuro went back to report the news to his father and Senjuro and to help plan tonight's dinner leaving me here alone.

    Alone until Kocho-san began pushing in two men. One was clearly an injured Iguro, who I had known as he stayed with the Rengoku family after Shinjuro-san saved him. The other was a taller, white-haired, man covered in scars and wounds.

    "You two stay here until Nee-san comes to dress your wounds." Kocho-san then turned her attention to me with a soft smile on her face. "Congratulations on your promotion (L/N)-san."

    In response, I nodded my head uttering a small thank you. Once Kocho-san left I went over to where Iguro sat next to the other man's bed. "Promotion?" I smiled and nodded my head.

    "Yes, this makes three pillars Shinjuro-san has trained now. Quite an achievement to gain three pillars in the span of a few months isn't it?" Iguro nodded along and Kaburamaru poked his head out as well.

    "Well, congratulations (Y/N)." He then turned to the other bed where the other man sat. "That's Shinazugawa Sanemi, the Wind Pillar who was promoted alongside me." I nodded and smiled at the infamous Shinazugawa.

    "It's nice to meet you Shinazugawa-san, I'm (L/N) (Y/N) the Nature Pillar. You are more than welcome to call me by my given name." I extended my hand only to receive a glare and a scoff.

    "Whatever." I huff and turn to Iguro.

    "Is he always like this?" He nods as Kanae walks in.

    "Good to see you both back and alive, not as wounded as last time." She catches the attention of Shinazugawa-san easily. "Here, this is all picked today by our girls. Make sure to drop off the extra whenever you get it made." I nod and happily accept the batch of herbs. "I have sent the news to the other pillars to meet next week. We'll have dinner together and you'll meet everyone else. You two will be there as well, all pillars have to be present." Kanae turned to the men as she finished before turning back to me. "Now go home and rest up, come by in the morning with Rengoku."

    "Of course, thank you Kanae. I'll see you soon." I stood and gently rubbed Kaburamaru's head. "I'll see you two soon as well." 

    "That Shinazugawa-san is incredibly difficult isn't he?" I sat grinding down herbs as Kyojuro watched

    "That Shinazugawa-san is incredibly difficult isn't he?" I sat grinding down herbs as Kyojuro watched. "Since that outburst at the previous meeting, you all had I would figure that he would have toned it down slightly but surely not."

    Kyojuro's laughter filled the room, "Yes, he really is difficult. Especially on missions!" I smile and motion for a cover to my bowl as I pour the now herb paste in.

    "Dinner may be quite difficult then." Putting the cover on I release a heavy sigh, "How'd he react?"

    "The same as when Obanai was promoted." I nodded.

    "Well, it couldn't be helped. He doesn't see the talent he has for bringing up pillars. That's a whole 3 in a row." Kyojuro chuckled and nodded.

    "Mother would be very proud to see that. She would have loved you and be very proud as well." I put my hand on his shoulder and smiled.

    "I'm sure of it, but she would be very proud of her boys too, Kyojuro." He smiled and pulled me in for a hug.

    "Alright, let's eat! Senjuro made your favorite!" I laughed as he started to drag me off. There's never a dull moment with him.

Word Count: 836