4

"(L/N)?"

            "Shinazugawa-san?"

            We both blankly stared at each other in front of Kanae's grave, each of us holding flowers in our hands. I knew he came to visit her, most of us did, but at night? Quite an odd time to be visiting the dead, like I'm one to talk.

            "Well, this is a surprise. Here, join me." I moved over to my left, leaving plenty of room to my right for Shinazugawa-san to sit.

            We never talked very much. I normally never had missions with him nor did we have individual conversations at gatherings very often. When Kanae was still in commission we always shared her time, we both were close to her, infatuated with her even, I may even dare say he was in love with her as well, yet the common ground and shared friends never seemed to bring us together. Until now, conveniently enough.

            Nonetheless, Shinazugawa-san sat beside me, placing his flowers in front of her stone, and praying while the incense I lit burnt. The beautiful scent of Wisteria filled the air around us as we sat silently. I had already given my prayers to Kanae, I was about to tell her of last week's events though I suppose that'll wait now that he's here.

            "Do you visit her often?" Oh? He's starting a civil conversation? This is new, but then again, we're in Kanae's presence.

            "Yes, as often as I can anyway. You were close to her as well, I suppose you visit often too?" He nods in response, his hands clenching his pants as they rested in his lap. He's tense and nervous, this is a new side to the infamously loud and angry Shinazugawa Sanemi.

            I sigh and roll my shoulders trying to relax. "You're tense Shinazugawa-san, relax I don't bite. We're colleagues and friends of Kanae, there should be no tension."

            "Right." I smile at him and place a hand on his shoulder.

             "Truly, relax. Tell me, do you usually come here at night? If I recall you usually have patrol at this time."

            "Sometimes, I just come when I'm not training." I nod and place my flowers down next to Shinazugawa-san's.

            "Good night Kanae." I stood up and stretched. "Well, make sure you don't keep her up all night and get some rest yourself Shinazugawa-san."

            "You aren't going to talk to her?" I shake my head and reach into my pocket.

            "No, not tonight. You seem to have some things to say, so don't keep her waiting. I'll be back in the morning to see her."

            The next morning I made my way over to Kanae's grave

            The next morning I made my way over to Kanae's grave. The same as last night only the incense had burnt out and needed replacing. So I did just that.