8

I was walking back to the Rengoku estate with bags in my hands and fresh herbs from the butterfly estate in my pocket. Previously I was checking the status of Tanjiro and his friends. While I was there Shinobu offered me some herbs before I went shopping in Senjuro’s place so he could relax. Since Kyojuro’s death, things have been hectic.

            Now, on the way from the market to the estate, I do end up passing Shinazugawa-san’s estate. Since the trial of Tanjiro he has been avoiding me, and it’s been hurtful honestly. My heart aches and it’s a horrible, horrible, pain. Mitsuri had given me some advice to get over this but nothing has stuck for now. So I can’t help but stare at his estate before continuing on my way. Unfortunately, nothing can be simple in this life.

            One of the bags in my hand was snatched from behind me, and as I turn around to grab it back I come face to face with the man himself, Shinazugawa Sanemi. Think of the devil and he shall appear, right? Before I can even say anything he starts taking other bags before we both possess a near equivalent amount. This is odd, is this truly Shinazugawa-san?

            “The hell are you staring for? Lets drop these off. We need to talk.” Oh no, he’s said the dreaded words that make my heart drop to my stomach.

            Unbeknownst to why, I comply and silently follow him back to the Rengoku estate. Not a single word was said between us, not even as he helped me put things up and quickly stored the herbs to mess with and to dry later.

 Not a single word was said between us, not even as he helped me put things up and quickly stored the herbs to mess with and to dry later

            Once we finished he was immediately rushing back in the direction of his estate. And of course, I followed and we went inside. Upon seeing me again the Kakushi immediately went off to grab us snacks and tea.

            “Why’d you choose the demon?” I stared at him blankly taking a moment to process what he’d said.

            He sat impatiently waiting for my response, his leg bouncing up and down from across the table. Eventually, I sighed, “She has great potential. Nezuko is the first psychically recorded case of a starved demon holding onto humanity with a desperate and incredibly strong grip. Tanjiro also has an incredible will and talent that needs to be honed properly. Nezuko is the way to keep him going.” He scowled and glared up at me.

            “Yet you choose a demon over your friends? Over your family?” I nod once again, this time not providing a verbal response. “I hate you.” My heart shattered, come on, it barely repaired itself.

            I looked into his eyes and just stared, my heart felt crushed, burned, stomped on, chewed up, and spat out. “W-what?”

            His scowl deepened. “I said I hate you, you fucking idiot.” He slammed his fist on the table. “You put countless lives in danger, went against corp rules, and tossed m-us, aside for some random demon and a boy.” He took a deep breath before continuing. “Most importantly you had no care for your fucking safety! You could’ve been that thing’s victim, you grew attached and even now I doubt you can bring yourself to kill her if she snapped and decided to have a fucking feast of us.” I started to shake and look down at the table. I was waiting for him to continue but nothing ever happened.

            Shinazugawa-san just stared at me and when I lifted my head he was taking deep breaths to calm himself down. “I could have lost you.”

            I shook my head taking deep breaths. “I can take good care of myself Shinazugawa-san.”

            “That doesn’t mean shit. I already lost too many fucking people I love, so I can’t lose you too!” He froze and so did I. Though it didn’t take long for what he said to process and a cheeky smile to cross my face.

            “Shinazugawa-san,” I put a hand to my chest dramatically, suddenly all nerves and hurt left, “You love me?” Only then did his face light up a bright red as he softly glared at me grumbling under his breath. Instinctively I leaned closer, “Repeat that?”

            He growled and waited until the Kakushi came in with ohagi and tea. “Yeah.”

            My face flushed and grew warm as my cheeky smile grew larger, “Really?” He nodded in response grabbing an ohagi and taking a large bite out of it.

            I smiled and grabbed an ohagi for myself, and we sat there in silence for a moment as I remembered the message Tanjiro gave me from Kyojuro. “So, is it platonic, familial, or…?” Shinazugawa-san shook his head in disagreement before speaking up himself.

            “Romantic.” I nearly choked on my sip of tea as my face become incredibly hot. This continued silence for another moment before he cleared his throat. “Sorry, you don’t have to say anything about it. It’s fine, forget about it.”

            Well, I am certainly shooting my shot. “You say that as if I don’t feel the same way Shinazugawa-san.” The tips of his ears started to turn bright red as his cheeks flushed.

            “Sanemi. Just call me Sanemi.” I smiled and nodded taking another sip of my tea.

            “Well then, Sanemi.” I put my cup down and leaned in to face him. “How about we go out to the city tomorrow morning? If you uhm if you can anyway.” I stuttered over myself at the end, growing flustered. It’s not like I’ve been on many dates, most of my experience is from my teen years and tips from an incredibly wasted Tengen.

            Luckily, Sanemi nodded and stood up holding his hand out to me. “We can go right now, come back tomorrow. Or- or later.” He’s so awkward and flustered, it’s cute but odd.

            Either way, I nodded and grabbed his hand. “You’re cute when you’re flustered.” I suddenly felt a smack on my head and Sanemi mumbling shut up before being dragged out of the estate.

Word Count:1004