Chapter 14: Our curse

8:47pm, the dark clouds formed on the sky as the sun have slowly set down. August, it looked like it'll start pouring eventually. Usually cold so but it was pretty warm and cozy inside the house.

Sitting on a chair, Mr Huxley was wrapping a box with a gift wrapper. It was a unisex T-Shirt, he was too excited that he had already brought a shirt for his new unborn child. He wanted to surprise his wife with this. Ah another thing to be noted, Mrs Huxley still doesn't know the fact that her husband has found out about her pregnancy so, she isn't aware. But that gave him another more reason to surprise his wife, he was really excited for today night.

There'd be fireworks at 1:30am, so his plan was to take an early nap with his family and reveal this gift on his balcony when the firework show displays. It was gonna be the perfect night.

As he finished wrapping the gift, he placed it in his drawers and headed out from his workroom to the living room to see Caiden there, reading a book. Ever since Mr Huxley stopped allowing him to go near the gem, Caiden have stopped talking to his father. Whenever they'd make an eye contact, Caiden would either glare or sulk. Mr Huxley wished that tonight's gift from both him and his wife would make his son forgive him.

He slowly walked upto Caiden and sat beside him. Just as he did, Caiden immediately got up with the book and was about to walk away, ignoring his father till Mr Huxley stopped him.

"Caiden! ...Where are you going?"
"Bed"
"Already?"
"Yea, I'll wake up when the fireworks starts"
"Ohh.. alright" He slightly nodded.

Letting out a sigh, Caiden walked away to his bedroom and laid down on his back. He looked at the ceiling and sighed yet again but this time, loudly. After that day, the only thing he could think was about the gem and how it spoke to him. He tried his best figuring out what happened but unfortunately, in the end, he had no idea. He wants to save the gem but he doesn't know what he should save the gem from. He doesn't know anything about it. But, he was sure of one single thing. Only he could save that cursed gem.

He slowly climbed upto his pillow and closed his eyes, hoping to sleep. Just as he closed his eye, he slowly started seeing something... just as a vision? It was blurry... it was so distant. It was almost like a dream but it was so vivid and realistic.

There was a woman... and a man. The woman dressed in red hanfu and the man dressed in a purple one. They were running on a field of green emerald grass, holding hands. He couldn't identify them... but they looked so happy, Caiden could hear their distant laughs. Suddenly the woman started speaking,

"My uncle has approved of you... I'm so delighted!!"
"Mhmm, is that so? Very well, I'm glad" Replied the man who was standing beside her, he smiled softly.
"Tonight, the nation is celebrating the Qixi!! They will be setting the fireworks at late night! It will be so exciting! You will come with me, right?"
"Qixi? Ahhh"
"Please?? Let's watch the fireworks together...!"
"...meet me at Shanyuan hill... I heard we could see the fireworks more vivdly and a-ahem... to stay away from the crowds as well..."
"My goodness, I'm so happy, thank you! I will meet you there without wasting such seconds!"

He hid his smile by clearing his throat. He shifted his gaze at the fair lady before him and slowly reached out, caressing her pink tinted cheek. His eyes suddenly flashed a tincture shade of purple as his orbs grew serious. He pulled her closer and attached his forehead to hers as she looked back at his eyes, confused.

"What's wrong...?" She asked with clear concern in her voice
"Soon... I'm going to-"

Caiden immediately opened his eyes, waking up. The dream he was in faded away. He felt something on his mouth... a hand was covering his mouth in case if he attempted to scream. Caiden's heart beats increased, he slowly turned to see who it was...