Chapter 22

Vincent's POV
(Few minutes before he woke up)

I was going through different memories in my head and no matter how much I tried to stop I just couldn't, I couldn't leave and I felt trapped, it felt like my past wanted to confront me.

It wanted me to come to terms that it was never going to leave and everyday I'll have to live with it.

"Clifford the big red dog" I heard and I was pulled into another flashback.

Flashback
It was the night before mom's death.
It was the 19th of August 2011.

Mom sat on the chair beside my bed in Victor and I's room. Victor was long asleep so mom was finally going to read Clifford the big red dog to me. I always wanted to read the book.

I was already comfortable under the covers and she started reading
"Clifford the big red dog" she said but then suddenly my Dad came back home. He had gone out for work and said he would come back late.

Mom and I stood up and I ran to him as fast as I could with my tiny feet. I hugged his legs and he held me from my armpits and hoisted me up and littered my face with kisses while I giggled.

He dropped me on the floor and mom told me to go to my room and she'd be right there. I went back and laid comfortably in my bed awaiting her arrival.

I waited for so long until I eventually fell asleep. She never read the book to me and I never read it myself because I just couldn't,it brought back memories....... memories that I couldn't handle.

End of flashback.

"Clifford the big red dog" I heard and I knew I just had to wake up. if it was my chance to hear mom read it I couldn't miss it for the world. The last chance to see her face, to hear her voice. I just had to wake up no matter what.

Back to present (finally)
Victor's POV
It was an hour after Vincent woke up and he seemed to be doing well.
"Stop staring at me" Vincent said as he threw the tissue box beside him at my head.

"Hey!" I said but couldn't help but grin, I was glad he was awake, that he survived, that I didn't fail him completely for the second time.

Renata and Viola left a while after Vincent woke up.

2 weeks later.......
Vincent was getting discharged today and we were finally going home. It hurt me to see him in that wheel chair but it was the only option. I swallowed and then finally approached him, Renata and Viola.

"Shall we?" I asked as I headed for Vincent's wheel chair
"Let me" Renata said with a smile and I really didn't have the energy to argue with her when I knew I would loose anyway.

We talked and laughed as we drove home. It was obvious that we were trying to avoid the big black monster in the atmosphere and it was the fact that Vincent most likely would never be able to walk again.

I took in a deep sigh as I continued driving all of us home.

A/N: Sorry for the short and most likely boring chapter but the book is almost over and I hope it gets better later on. Please do vote and comment