•|3|•

The weekend and the first half of the week were boring, rainy, and uneventful, but on that Wednesday morning the sun shone bright through my sage green curtains.

I roll out of bed and put on a simple outfit for a sunny fall day.

Walking into the bathroom, I leave my hair down and brush my teeth

Walking into the bathroom, I leave my hair down and brush my teeth. When I walk into the kitchen, I have a huge smile on my face.

"Someone's happy," Hopper notices, placing a plate full of pancakes on the table.

"I know! Today just feels like it's going to be great," I say, sitting beside El at the table.

Hopper sits down at the table too. We eat in comfortable silence. I finish and put my plate in the sink. Then I'm out the door, jogging across the yard.

I drive to school, the radio playing loud as I drive. When I get there I turn into my parking spot, but across from me, Billy isn't there. As if on cue, his blue Camaro races in, turning abruptly into the spot.

The red haired girl jumps out of the passenger seat and throws her skateboard on the ground, skating away like always.

I walk to Billy's car since it's on the way to the front door. By the time I reach the car, he gets out.

"Why are you smiling?" He asks, pulling his backpack out with him.

"I don't know. I'm just in a really good mood. Today just feels like it's going to be a good day," I tell him.

We start walking towards the school. Since last week, it was almost like a ritual that we walk together. We walk passed Tina's car that her and her friends are leaning on. I make eye contact with her and she sends me an almost deadly glare. Part of me wants to duck my head, but instead I visibly roll my eyes at her and continue walking.

Inside, we part ways to go to our own lockers. As I take my English book from my tidy locker, I hear someone lean on the locker next to me. I look up and see Steve Harrington the former King of Hawkins.

"Can I help you?" I ask, closing my locker and hugging my English book to my chest.

"Why are you always walking into school with Billy?" He asks.

I shrug. "We park near each other and get out of our cars at the same time everyday. It makes sense that we just so happen to walk in at the same time."

"Uh huh. Well, I don't think you should hang out with him. I know you haven't had much time to adjust to normal people, so you probably don't pick up on certain signs-" I cut him off. "Oh, I pick up signs just fine, and right now I'm picking up that you're being an asshole. Also what the hell do you mean by 'normal people.'"

"I- Come on, Cassidy. You know I didn't mean it that way," he says.

"No, no. It's fine. I'll just go be a freak somewhere else," with that I walk into English, leaving Steve at my locker.