Chapter Ten

...

You don't run from the people who need you. You fight for them. You fight beside them. No matter the cost. No matter the risk.

-Rick Yancey, The Last Star (The 5th Wave #3)

...

When I woke up, Vegas is no longer beside me. I checked on Venice but he is peacefully sleeping. I carefully changed his clothes and make sure that he will be drinking his milk.

As soon as I arrive downstairs, I was welcomed by Mark who waved at me.

"Good morning."

How come he has full energy early in the morning?

I cannot relate.

"Where is..."

"He is in the basement." Nop interrupted me. "Do you miss him already?" He asked and laugh with Mark.

This two! Every time I see them, they will be teasing me about Vegas. Those sly and teasing smiles on their faces sometimes get on my nerves.

"We caught two spies this morning."

I take a look at Nop. Spy?

"What do you mean?"

He just shrugged. "Two men are trying to enter the warehouse, we found bombs in their bags that they were about to set up."

The moment I heard that my whole body woke up as if the adrenaline rush just slaps me to come back to my senses.

"Vegas is dealing with them," Mark said.

"Alright, I will check it out."

Before I proceed to the basement, Mark called my name.

"What is it?"

"You look cute with your messy hair." He jokingly said and laugh with Nop.

Damn you. I fixed my hair and leave.

Is it his hobby to joke around?

Thinking about it. Vegas is dealing with the two men they caught... which means that Vegas is probably doing something to them.

As I arrived in the basement, I can already hear a man groaning in pain, and whimpering followed by a scream once again.

"Do you think you can go back alive?" I heard Vegas say that.

I didn't wait any longer and went downstairs. In a spacious room with all of the red and dim lights, I found Vegas holding a hammer as two men were already weakly catching their breath.

They're tied up in a chair with a piece of cloth covering their mouth.

This scene isn't new to me. I have seen this multiple times and I know that Vegas has done this even before. I am not surprised that he is doing this.

"Who are they?" I asked and approached him.

"Why are you here?" He held my arms and guided me to take a few steps backward. "Pete, this might trigger you."

I look at him in disbelief. "Your concern is too late, Vegas. Who are they?"

I understand that he doesn't want me to remember those times when he once tortured me but what can he do? It's already done and I'm used to it.

"No idea but probably from Khun Korn."

Vegas is that harsh.

The man sitting on the left side is filled with his blood. His eyes are swollen with bruises, the face looks so deformed with all of the wounds he received. The most damaged part is his head as I noticed that the part of his head has no more hair as if it was forced to be removed. His scalp is also bleeding.