Chapter Twelve

...

Sacrifice is a part of life. It's supposed to be. It's not something to regret. It's something to aspire to.
-Mitch Albom, The Five People You Meet in Heaven

...

PETE'S POV

"Please take care of them," I said as Mark hugged Venice tightly.

"Aye Aye captain!" Mark replied.
I can only sigh as I watched Mark's men prepare the car and put their things in there.

Vegas held my shoulders and rub them, making sure that I will feel less tense.

Mark is carrying Venice as he volunteered to make sure that both Venice and Macau will escape the country. We trust them too much and I know that they won't fail us.

Nop bow his head to Vegas as Macau hugged his older brother.

For now, they will be sent to the Philippines for Khun Korn's men not locate them. Khun Sun's team is very subtle and sometimes, it is hard to find them. This is for the better.

It will be better if they escape, wait until this war subsides... or wait until one of the sides completely dies.

"Phi Pete," Macau called my name and in surprise, he hugged me.

"Take care of yourself, okay?" I whispered to him and looks at Vegas who just smiled.

"We will see each other again, right?" I can hear him ask feeling blue.

I paused for a moment. There is no assurance that we will meet each other again.

"We will do our best to survive," I answered most safely.

"Can we take a photo?" Macau suddenly requested.

Both Vegas and I are shocked and puzzled by Macau's request. Photo? At this moment?

"Give me your phone." Mark handed Venice to me and snatch Macau's phone from his hand. "Okay. Let me take a photo of you."

Vegas being Vegas, seems too puzzled by the request as if he is processing what it means. I grabbed him and let him stand next to Macau.

"Smile everybody!"

After several shots, I returned Venice to Mark and Macau went to Nop.

"I will keep this," Macau said with his lips forming a smile. "Family photo."

In times like this, it is a relief to know that this family is slowly healing. Vegas isn't bitter about Venice. He also smiles from time to time and sincere and honest words also got me.

We were divided into three groups now. Vegas and I together with some bodyguards, Mark with Venice accompanied by his men, and a separate car for Nop and Macau in case there is an emergency and they have to separate ways.

I couldn't help but look at Venice. I think Mark noticed my worry that he starts joking around.

"If you will cry then I will not bring him."

"Just go now. Don't you even dare to let someone lay a finger on him?" I talked back.

"Yes, Boss." He replied.

"Macau," Vegas called his brother. "Take care and wait for us."

Inside the car, Macau just smiled widely but I also see tears forming in his bright, youthful eyes.

He shouldn't be in this trouble. I feel really bad that instead of going to school, being with his friends, and doing his homework; Macau is here, trying to survive and save his dear life.