Lonely.

The sun has just broken over the horizon. It was barely a soft orange glow. There I stood watching the crew manage the ship. We were going to the southern water tribe.

      I had read it in the stars the night before. The spiritual signals leading me to cold. Raava had made it clear she was returning and wanted everyone to know.

      "Are we on course?", Zuko came up behind me on the bow.

      "Yes, I can feel the spirits with me.", I responded. The both of us watched the horizon ahead. The stillness of the ocean, the stillness of it all. The world itself stopping in preparation.

      "Soon we shall be returned home. Heroes of the war. Honored by our people.", Zuko walked away from me.

      All these years of searching. He was going to return home. I was simply going to a different job. There was nothing to go back to. Just empty palace halls, empty chambers, empty dining table. I wasn't a member of the court like Prince Zuko, I was a pawn. You got everything and yet had received nothing.

     I looked once more to the ocean before returning to my room. If I was needed, they would find me. All there was to do now was go forward.

~~~~~

     Hours had passed and it was now night. It was late and almost all of the crew had fallen asleep. It was now the peak hours in which I could relax. I went to the upper decks to watch the night sky. The fresh ocean breeze ran through my hair. How nice it felt to not be hidden. No priestess makeup, just me.

      Ever since my mom died there was no me. Since birth it was clear I was to be a priestess eventually taking my mother's place. I don't remember her as much as I would like but I do remember she sent me to the fire academy to have some normalcy before my assumed role.

      Now I was in the cover of night, finally being normal.

      I practiced my fire bending. The quick punches followed by glowing embers. The ring of fire I created for protection. The engulfment technique. I covered myself in a ball of dancing fire. The heat engulfing me and my very being. The feeling of a dragon.

      I let the fire die slowly. I didn't want the warmth to end but I didn't want the crew to see me so informally. I had a role and tradition to maintain. A secret. Never showing my face to anyone but an elder, never letting a hair fall out of place. Formal, a tool of the spirits.

      As I felt the heat die down I opened your eyes. There across me was Prince Zuko. I gave a small gasp and quickly turned and ran to my veil. The scandal of the Prince seeing my face.

      "Stop! Show me what you were doing,", he ran up behind me as soon as I got my veil on.

      "Prince Zuko! Forgive my appearance, I was not expecting anyone to see me at this hour.", i bowed courteously at him.

      "Spar with me, show me the technique you have just displayed.", it came out as a demand but his eyes gave a look of genuine curiosity.

      "I'm afraid I am unable to battle properly while wearing the veil. I cannot battle you with the best of my abilities. I would not be able to truly pay my respects to you.", I answered earnestly but couldn't help but feel inadequate.

       "Remove your veil.", the bluntness of Prince Zuko took me back. No man my age could see my face without the priestess makeup unless a marriage was in play. It was just a rule that came with the role. Even though I didn't quite understand it

      "Surely you must know why I cannot remove my veil in your presence.", there was a hint guilt in my response. Guilt over following such a tradition but guilt also over the inability to be vulnerable.

      "Then just show me your eyes.", before I could respond Zuko took a fighting stance.

      I adjusted my veil to only cover below my eyes and soon took stance.

      Zuko made the first move. A burst of flame flew straight towards my face. I jumped over it towards Zuko. A kick to his face blocked by his arm. I jumped back and began to blow punches. Blaze after blaze flew past his head. A flame shot towards my face again but was broken by a bigger flame of mine. The two of us were matched. Both on the offensive yet in synch. Both flames slowly became one as they joined each other. It felt as though I was caught in an even match. Until I took his flame.

       I took his flame into mine and began to create a ring. Zuko shot flame after flame to disengage me but I simply made my own flame brighter with it. Eventually I had once again created the cocoon of fire. After allowing it to dance around I dispersed it by allowing the flames to go in all different directions.

      At this point I expected to sparring to end. It did not.

     Zuko came at me once again but this time with no fire. The two of us engaged in a hand to hand battle. No blows could land. Once again the two of us were in sync. Moves blocked and caught by each other.

      When it felt as though there was no end to the cycle I was able to knock Zuko to the ground. I placed my foot on his chest and rose my fist in flames.

      Maybe it was my confidence in thinking the fight was over but he was able to knock me off balance. I awaited the contact with the ground but it never came. Zuko had caught me.

      "Never show your opponent mercy.", he said before letting go of me. With those words he left me under the high sky.

       I watched him as he walked away back to the underneath of the ship.

      In the years of living in the palace and in journeying with him, this is the most human he had ever appeared. He was just like me. Nothing more than a way to progress war. A boy with nothing due to the war. Lonely.