The Fire Temple

We rode on the bison. The fresh air felt nice but I couldn't help but worry I would fall off. Even if I did know jet stepping, I did not want them knowing I was fire nation.

      "So, we just let a total stranger join in our trip. One we don't know anything about. How do we know you're not a fire nation spy?", Sokka turned his attention to me. I tried not to look nervous at the fire nation spy accusation.

      "I'm not a total stranger. You know my name. I'm here to help Aang better connect with the spirit world.", I gave him a rather rude look.

      "I'm just saying, how can we trust you?", he crossed his arms at me.

      "Aang trusts her. That should be good enough for you Sokka. Plus she was helping that town before we even came.", Katara stepped in to defend me. I gave her a smile.

      "If your job is to help people, why would you leave your home. It all seems suspicious.", Sokka of course had another thing to say.

      "I'm on the run from the fire nation.  I refused to be a weapon of war for them. Once they heard of the avatar's awakening I was asked to find Aang. I couldn't help destroy the world's final chance at peace and balance.", I hung my head sadly but quickly brought it back up. I didn't want anyone to feel bad for me.

      "I am so sorry that happened to you Y/N. The fire nation took our family away.", Katara placed a hand on my shoulder and I gave her a smile. Even Sokka looked a bit remorseful.

      Luckily the conversation ended there. It was common for the fire nation to use members of other nations in their war efforts. I just happened to be in earth kingdom clothes.

      "Aang, we've got trouble!", yelled Katara. I looked down and saw Zuko's ship right underneath us. Even from above I could smell exactly what he was planning on hitting us with.

      In desperation I leaned over the side of Appa'a saddle and yelled out, "Don't shoot!" Either he didn't hear me or did not care because we shot at us anyway. It missed us but soon we came upon a blockade. Flame after flame was being shot at us.

       "Please don't freak out guys but I'm going to have to do something that may make you upset!", I yelled out as I stood up at the front of Appa's saddle.

      "Get down! It's not safe!", Katara yelled at me but it was already too late. I was bringing every wayward flame into my own and shooting it back down at the blockade.

      "She's fire bending!", Sokka yelled. Before anyone could say anything we were hit and Sokka went flying. We brought down Appa and caught him. So far I'd only been with them for a day and we all almost died.

      We made it through the blockade and let me just say things became awkward.

      "Why didn't you tell us you could fire bend?", Aang asked. He seemed more hurt than angry.

      "I'm really sorry. I just didn't want you to think I really was a spy. It is true that I am on the run from the fire nation. I've lost my official title but it is still my duty to help be a bridge to the spirit world as much as I can be. It is my duty to help the avatar not help the fire nation win the war.", I answered choking back a tear. I felt horrible for not saying anything.

      "I knew I was right.", Sokka drew his sword.

      "Sokka! She helped us! Plus I now have a fire bending teacher.", Aang flashed me his goofy smile that I had already grown accustomed to.

      "At least let me help you contact Avatar Roku. I want this war to end just as much as anyone.", I bowed at them to ask for forgiveness and show humility.