Chapter 17

Meredith is back home now and is laying in her bed trying to sleep. It's 3 in the morning and the Shepherds are all sound asleep. Tears are falling down her face and she hugs Puppy to her. Meredith is in a lot of pain, more pain than usual.

"Amy." Meredith whimpers. "Amy, wake up! I need you." Meredith sobs.

Amelia woke up to Meredith crying for her. "Mer? What's wrong?"

"Everything hurts! I need Carolyn!" Meredith sobs. "I need Carolyn!"

"I'll go get my mommy!" Amelia runs out of the room. She runs into her parent's room and tries to wake up her mom. "Mommy! Mommy, wake up!" Amelia says, shaking her mom's shoulder.

"What is it Amy?" Carolyn asks sleepily.

"Meredith needs you. She's crying Mommy!" Amelia says, frowning.

Immediately Carolyn is fully awake and quickly gets out of bed. She hurries with Amelia back to her room. They can hear Meredith's sobs before they even get to their room.

"Meredith, what's wrong sweetie?" Carolyn asks, rubbing Meredith's head.

"Everything hurts! It won't stop hurting! Make it stop!" Meredith whimpers.

Carolyn can see how much pain Meredith is in by the look on her face.

"I'm going to bring you some pain meds, okay? We'll see if that helps you any."

Meredith nods, hugging her stuffed animal."I don't like being sick!" She wails. "I wanna be normal! It hurts so bad!"

"I know baby, I know you do. I want that for you also baby girl." Carolyn quickly goes and gets medicine for her along with some water.

"Okay sweetie, swallow these pills and hopefully it'll help." Carolyn puts the pills into Meredith's hand.

Meredith puts the pills into her mouth and tries to swallow them but can't for some reason. She tries to swallow them with more water but starts coughing and almost chokes. "It won't go down!!!" Meredith sobs.

Carolyn's brows furrow in confusion. "What do you mean they won't go down Mer? Is your throat bothering you?"

"I dunno! I just can't!" Meredith wails. "I want it to stop hurting!"

"Mommy, is she okay?" Amelia is very worried and goes to stand next to Meredith.

"She's in a lot of pain sweetie." Carolyn tells Amelia.

"Mer, wanna hold my bunny to help you? Maybe Puppy and Bunny can help make you feel better!" Amelia asks.

"Here! Bunny will help you!" Amelia moves Meredith's arm and puts her bunny under Meredith's arm.

Meredith sobs harder as her arm is moved to hold the bunny. "Owwwwwww!"

"Shh, you're okay. You're okay." Carolyn says, trying to soothe Meredith.

Christopher runs into the room all out of breath. "What's going on?"

"She's in a lot of pain Christopher. And she's unable to swallow the pain meds. I don't know what to do to make it better." Carolyn tells him over Meredith's sobs.

"Mommy, she's hurting! Make her better! Daddy! Please!" Amelia says, starting to cry.

"It hurts!!! Owwwww!!" Meredith wails.

"I know baby, can we try the pills again?" Carolyn asks softly. "I think if you can get them down it'll help."

Meredith nods. "Make it stop please!!!"

Carolyn puts the pills into Meredith's mouth and Meredith takes a sip and tries to swallow them again. But she starts coughing and choking and spits them out into her hand.