Chapter 19

"Carolyn, Dr Robbins is on the phone. Can you come here please?" Christopher called out to his wife. He had his phone in his hand.

"Okay! Be right there!" Carolyn called. "Amelia and Meredith, I'll be right back okay girls? We'll get you two ready for bed when I get back."

"Okay Mommy!" Amelia says.

"Okay." Meredith says softly, laying down in her bed. She's been in pain since she's gotten home and Caroyln gave her some children's pain meds to help her.

"Mer! Let's have a sleepover tonight! We can stay up late and play with our stuffies together! Ooh! We can have a pillow fight!!! Mer! I'm so excited!" Amelia quickly jumps into Mereidth's bed, not thinking about Meredith's pain. Amelia lays next to Meredith and gives her a big hug. "Mer, I'm so glad you live here! You're my bestest friend in the whole wide world!"

Meredith loves Amelia but she's in so much pain with Amelia being right next to her in bed, let alone the hug she's receiving from the girl.

"Melia! That hurts!!!" Meredith wails.

Amelia pulls away quickly with a scared look on her face. "Mer? Are you okay? Did I do something?" Amelia chews on her bottom lip nervously.

"It hurts!!!" The hug she got seemed to trigger more pain in Meredith's body. Meredith wailed in pain. She sobbed so loudly that the boys came running in.

"Mer! What's wrong?" Derek asked.

"Owwwwwwwww." Meredith moaned. "Want Carolyn! It hurts!!!" She sobbed.

"Derek, I'll go get your mom!" Mark said and ran out of the room.

Amelia retreated to her bed and sat on it with her arms around her legs. She is scared that she hurt Meredith.

Mark runs down the hallway towards his parents room. "Mom! Dad!" He hears his parents talking on the phone.

"'Mark, you need to wait honey. We're having an important conversation."

"But-" Mark is caught off.

"Mark, hold on." Christopher called.

"Dr Robbins, so you're saying Meredith has a chronic pain condition also?" Carolyn says sadly.

"Yes, unfortunately. I looked over the results multiple times and that's the only thing I'm seeing." Dr Robbins explained.

"Is it treatable?" Christopher asked.

Dr Robbins sighed. "There's no actual treatments. I'm going to prescribe her pain medications but even those aren't going to be able to help much. She is going to have good and bad days. Unfortunately, this is a chronic disease, meaning it will stay with Meredith for the rest of her life."

"Oh Meredith..." Carolyn gasped. "My poor child." Carolyn wiped away some tears.

Mark knocks on the door again as Meredith's cries are increasing in volume. "Mom! Dad!"

Meanwhile upstairs, Amelia is crying on her bed while watching Meredith be in pain. "I didn't mean to Meredith! I'm sorry!!!" She cries.

"Amy, it's okay. You didn't mean to. She knows that." Derek said, trying to comfort both of his sisters.

"I want Carolyn!" Meredith sobbed.

"Where is Mark?" Derek muttered. "She's coming Mer."

All of a sudden Meredith's pain increased dramatically and Meredith screamed out in pain.

Carolyn and Christopher are in conversation with Dr Robbins when they hear Meredith scream. They look at each other in alarm.

"Dr Robbins, we need to go! Meredith is screaming out in pain." Christopher said quickly. "We'll talk later!"