Chapter 29

"Amy, come here sweetie. I want to talk to you." Carolyn says as she walks down the hallway towards where Amelia is sitting with Meredith.

Amelia looks up from where she is playing the game, operation with Meredith. "Okay Mommy!" To Meredith she says. "Wait for me Mer! No cheating." She giggles.

"I don't cheat." Meredith giggles and looks away.

"The last time I left the room to go to the bathroom you tried to get all of the little pieces out of our patient so fast Mer! You only stopped cause I caught you and made you drop the kidney! And you tried to hide the pieces I already got out of the patient! Not cool Mermer!" Amelia says giggling.

"Okayyyyyy fineeeee." Meredith says giggling.

"Be back soon!" Amelia runs off to her mom. "Hi Mommy!"

"Hi sweet girl! You girls having fun?" Carolyn asks, smiling at her mom.

"Yeah! I wanna be a doctor when I grow up, Mommy!" Amelia says with a smile.

Carolyn smiles. "You'd be a great doctor, Amelia. Okay, let's go to your room." They walk towards Amelia's room down the hall and once they get there Amelia runs and jumps onto her bed.

"Amelia, I'm really sorry about yelling at you the other day when Meredith got hurt. It wasn't fair of me and it wasn't your fault that she got hurt. I know you two were just playing." Carolyn apologizes.

"But I forgot to buckle her Mommy! And then she got hurt!" Amelia says, biting her bottom lip nervously.

"She wasn't buckled but Mer also didn't think to buckle herself into her chair."

Amelia nods.

"I'm really sorry Amy. I shouldn't have yelled and made you upset. I know you were already really scared and upset that she got hurt."

"Thanks Mommy." Amelia hugs her mom. "Mommy, I'm sorry that I told Mer that you aren't her mommy. I really upset her."

"That really did upset her baby. She was crying so hard all night. Why did you say that to her?"

Amelia's eyes start to tear up. "I was just upset. I didn't mean it. I don't like that she was really upset. I love having her as a sister!"

"Do you feel any jealousy of the attention that she gets because of her illness?" Carolyn questioned.

Amelia nods. "Yeah. She gets so much attention and help and I know she needs it but it's hard Mommy! You guys are always with her and less with me! I just feel so alone!  It just makes me feel like you don't love me as much as you love Meredith!"

"Oh baby, I'm sorry that we made you feel that way. Me and your Daddy love you soooooo much! You will never be alone in this family. Never! I'm so glad you're my daughter Amelia! And as for the extra attention she gets, it's just because she needs help doing everyday things. She can't do them as easily as you and your brothers. And with her pain disease on top of it she's in a tremendous amount of pain all of the time, baby. She just needs a lot of help to do everyday things. And with her needs she can't be left alone because if something were to happen she wouldn't be able to get to us easily. Does that make sense? It's not that we're specifically spending more time with her, it's just she needs the help."

Amelia nods. "That makes sense mommy! I wish she didn't have to deal with that stuff! It's not fair! Why Mer mommy?"

Carolyn sighs. "I don't know sweetie. There's no answer for that. It just happened. And she has the extra trauma from the medical trial her mother put her in which caused her a lot of pain and fear."

"That's not nice of her to do that to Mer! Why'd she do that to her daughter? You'd never do that to us! You hate seeing us sick and in pain!"

"You're right, that wasn't very nice of her. The minute I saw her in that trial, in the amount of pain and fear she had, I wanted to take her home immediately but they had to finish what they started with her. Her mom wouldn't let anyone take her out until it was completed. So unfortunately there was nothing I could do except be there for her."

"I'm glad she has you now mommy."

"I'm glad she has all of us." Carolyn says smiling.

"Amelia!!! Come on! I wanna play!" They hear Meredith yelling from down the hallway in the living room. "I'm gonna hide your pieces again Amy!"

Amelia's eyes widen. "No cheating Mer!" She yells.

Carolyn laughs. "Go play with her."

Amelia nods. She gets up and starts to walk to the door but turns around and goes back to her mom and gives her a hug. "I love you Mommy."

"I love you more Amy."

Thanks to my co-writer _Ktje_