Chapter 41

Meredith sighs to herself, wishing she got more sleep last night. But as usual, her pain disease that she's had since she was a child kept her up. When it gets that bad, no amount of medication can help. It just has to go away on its own. So, she only got an hour or two of sleep.

"Oww, it hurts so much." Meredith whimpered to herself. "Mark!" She softly called, crying out in pain. "Please! It hurts!" Her cries unfortunately went unheard and Meredith was left to deal with her pain by herself, and she couldn't do anything about it herself.

"Please, Mark. Help me. It hurts so bad!" Meredith whimpered. As the pain quickly grew more intense, her cries became louder, quickly waking Mark up and sending him running downstairs to Meredith's room."

Mark found Meredith in pain and did his best to help her but knew that this was unfortunately part of her illness. She would just have to wait out the pain for the most part.

Neither got very much sleep that night.

"Mer! You're falling asleep in your mac and cheese!" Derek chuckled.

"Wha?" Meredith's head snapped up, looking at Derek.

Derek set his tray down next to Meredith's and sat down at the table. "I don't know how you fell asleep in here! It's so loud." Derek said, referring to all of the hospital employees eating lunch in the cafeteria.

"Wasn't sleeping. Resting my eyes." Meredith mumbled.

"My bad, resting your eyes." Derek notices the bags under her eyes. "You okay Mer?"

"I'm fine. Didn't get much sleep last night. Too much pain. You know the drill." Meredith whispered, yawning.

Derek's eyebrows furrowed in concern. "Are you feeling better now?"

Meredith nods. "Yeah, just tired." She took a bite of her lunch before setting her fork back down. She propped her head up on her hand. "So tired." She whispered.

"Maybe you should go take a nap in an on call room." Derek suggested.

"Can't. Have to do more research for a project." Meredith said, staring off into space.

Mark all of a sudden set his plate down across from Meredith. "Mer? You there?" He clapped his hands in front of her face. "Mer!"

Meredith quickly looked over at Mark and frowned confused. "Where'd you come from?"

"What's this I hear about an on call room?" Mark questions.

"Get your mind out of the gutter Mark!" Derek says chuckling.

"Ohhh, an on call room for Meredith. That won't work. She can't sleep in those. She sleeps in Dad's office when she needs to. He has a special mattress in there for her. It's better for her."

"I need a bed to sleep in. But can't. Cause *yawn* I have to research. *yawn*But I'm too tired. I'll probably fall asleep researching. And then I'll get fired. *yawn*. And that won't be good!" Meredith rambles sleepily.

"Let's get you to Dad's office then. Do you have your braces on?" Derek asks softly.

"Didn't Mom tell you?" Mark asks.

Meredith now has her head buried in her crossed arms on the table, starting to snore softly.

"Tell me what?" Derek questions.

"She needs them 24/7. She can't walk without them now."

"Oh no. Poor Mer." Derek frowns. "What else did I miss?"

Mark opens his mouth to tell him but glances over at Meredith and sees her sound asleep. He laughs. "Mer, wake up! Let's get you to Dad's office.

"Sleepy." Meredith bats Mark's hand away from her. "Let sleeping Meredith's sleep." She mumbled.

Both men laugh. "Come on, let's get you into a real bed."

Meredith's eyes slowly open and she yawns. "Kay. One more minute." She closes her eyes again.

"Mer." Mark laughs.

"Okay fine you win." Meredith mumbles. "You're bossy, you know?" She attempts to stand up but because of how exhausted she is, when she puts pressure onto her legs she immediately collapses to the floor with her leg landing awkwardly underneath her. Meredith's eyes open fully and she immediately registers the pain. "OW OW OW." She moans.

"'Mer!" Both Derek and Mark about.

"No! Don't touch it!" Meredith shouts as they get close to her leg. "It hurts!!"

"Get a gurney." Mark quickly tells Derek who immediately runs off.

"Mark, it hurts. Make it stop! Owww." She starts breathing heavily from the pain.

Meanwhile a crowd is beginning to form near them. "Everyone back off! Give her space!" Mark yells. We have this under control!"

Meredith is clutching her leg with tears streaming down her face. "I can't! I can't handle this!"

Derek returns with the gurney. "Mer, we're going to put you on the gurney now okay? We'll be very gentle, okay?"

"It really hurts!" Meredith wails. She sees them getting closer to her so that they can lift her onto the gurney and her cries increase in volume. "No! Don't touch my leg! Please!"

"Mer, we have to touch your leg in order to get you onto the stretcher but I promise we will be so careful with your leg. It'll take just a second okay and then it will be over." Mark gently tells her.

Meredith quickly nods.

"On three Derek. One, two, three." Both men gently pick up Meredith who proceeds to scream out in pain when her leg and hip are touched. She's gently placed onto the gurney and a blanket is placed onto her.

"Let's go!" Mark shouts.

They race off to the pit with Meredith sobbing loudly the entire way.

"We need a trauma room!" Derek yells when he sees Dr Bailey."

"Trauma 3 is open!"

We hope you enjoyed! Thanks to my co-writer _Ktje_