Chapter 29 - Too late

She could see the skin boil at the surface bubbling, and blistering like bad sunburn only ten times worse. The squealing shrieks gave away their cover, as Zane and Andy proceeded to go back to the bushes where they knew Jax, Trey, and Angelica awaited them with ammunition.

Andy assesses her surroundings spotting Blade, Nixon, and Cherry advancing towards the end of the spaceship where they'd encounter David, and Lily.

They hoped that they could accomplish their mission of saving Lily.

Blade urged Cherry and Nixon to stay low behind him. He'd deal with David while the two of them rescued Lily.

It was a perfect plan. How could anything go wrong?

"So, you guys go get her on the count of 1...2...3...!" He bounced on his feet ready, rifle in hand, eyes fixed on the sandy blond man and his hard blue eyes. There was a flash of astonishment on David's face before he disguised it with a cocky smirk and a soft chuckle.

"Well, well, look who the cat dragged in if it isn't Mr.Villain."

"Yes, says, the crazed scientist, you're ruining a good last name, 'Valerie'," Blade scowled, clutching close to his rifle, realizing now he had to take the shot. He had to kill a man. A human. He has never done it before. The idea sickened him. But it had to be done. It was necessary.

He stood his ground, raising the rifle and pointing it in the arrogant scientist's face, unflinching Lily's dad continues smiling at him. It infuriates him. David is completely unfazed by the weapon aimed at him. He even finds it amusing.

"Oh, poor boy that won't stop me." He sneered, turned to the ship, and whistled. This action puzzled the tan boy until he saw an army of Oculos depart the ship.

Blade scoffed, kept the gun on him, and pulled the trigger it missed David and hit an Oculos with red eyes. Did it protect the man? But why?

His plan was fucked. He anticipated more Oculos but he only hoped it wasn't true. They could outrun them, right?

"Blade!" Lily beckoned, her voice full of emotion. "Go, leave I don't want to be saved." She cried out desperately.

"Your outnumbered, boy." A cocky smirk formed on the man's face as he saw Blade's worried look. "I'll allow you to say bye to her if you surrender. She's doing well saving all of you. You shouldn't take that kindness for granted."

"No, I will never leave her side. She stays. S-she once saved my life...I owe her that much..." He frowned at the idea of losing her. He noticed Nixon and Cherry walking toward them.

And then suddenly they were circled by an angry bunch of Oculos.

"Shit," Cherry commented. "Alright, back me up here, nerdy boy." She pressed her back against his and aimed her rifle toward the five on her side.

"I know." He adjusted his glasses on the bridge of his nose and aimed his gun as well. They were ten in total. Hopefully, they didn't get reinforcements.

Cherry was the first to let off her weapon knocking a green-eyed Oculos to the earth. She moved quickly shooting a second one as the third and fourth charged at her long claws, and acidy mouths agape. She squealed as one caught her sparkly, summer tank and yanked it, digging its meaty claws in her shoulder. It tore the material leaving an opening on her side, revealing her purple sports bra, she shrugged not caring at being exposed. As she always went around the house in her sports bra.

She was glad it didn't claw at her chest, only grazed the material of her tank top. But she winced at the sharp pain on her shoulder. It was bleeding. She peered up to see the third and fourth lunging at her again. She shot twice at the third and it screeched falling to the ground with a "thud" and she smirked proudly at her work.

Nixon was squinting his eyes, and his hand on the trigger was trembling as he let go and hit a bullet plummet into the skull of an Oculos.

"God damnit!" Blade cursed. The two of them were too busy to retrieve Lily. And she was wanting to sacrifice herself for the team. He didn't like that idea. She shouldn't have to do that. He cared for her. He didn't want to see her go.

"Fine." David scoffed. "But I warned you, last chance." He tapped his shoe impatiently staring back at him. "No?"

"Never." Blade hissed, shooting again, but then something interfered. His head begin banging and he crashed to his knees. Seeing David smirk, Lily's soft features, and concerned eyes on him.

"Lily, please don't go..." He uttered before collapsing.

He entered a black room. Nothing. Empty. Darkness.

"Where am I?"

"In your self-conscious, of course," A cocky voice he recognized, spoke.

"David- how?" He stood up and glanced around, but no one was there. but he could hear his voice.

"What did you do!"

"Oh, not much. Just a little mind control is all. Don't worry Lily will be gone once you're awake. Until then make yourself comfortable with these memories."

"NO!" He cried. He saw his dad on the floor again, his limp body, and blood everywhere. "NO, NOT AGAIN!"

...

"Blade!"

"BLADE!"

"BLADE!"

"Huh?"

A white wall, a bright light, a window, a dresser by the bed, and f
Six faces covered in stress, sadness, and genuine concern.

"You're awake." Zane crossed the room to his bedside, washing with relief the leader was finally conscious. "Finally." He sighed deeply.

"W-what happened." He noticed blood splatters on his white shirt and cuts covering Zane's worn face. He appeared tired and injured.

"She's gone." Trey interrupted, dropping to the floor and sobbing. "She's gone." He repeated, hot tears streaming his already tear-stained face.

Cherry crouched next to him and held out her tiny arms and he fell into them allowing her to embrace him. "There, there." She patted him, resisting the urge to cry herself. She already did, but alone.

Angelica couldn't face any of them. She had locked herself in her bedroom. Her emotions were always strong. So, when LiIy was taken she couldn't stand it and was overwhelmed with emotions.

"Okay, thanks for telling me. I'd like to be alone right now." Blade's eyes darkened, and he closed his eyes hiding his feeling.

So, everyone left him alone.

She was gone. Because of him. He couldn't save her. She was abducted by her terrible dad and the Oculos. It wasn't supposed to turn out like this.

He couldn't save her as she saved him.

"...Lily Valerie..." The name rolled off his tongue and he bit it not feeling deserving to speak such a name. He wrapped his arms around himself, and the painful water flowed from his dark eyes, and he sobbed.

When he finished crying he stood up and placed a hand on the cold surface of the glass frame, and peered out the window. There was an eery full moon, and no stars in the night sky. it was just pitch black, and lonely.

"I have to save her at any cost." He swore out loud. No matter what he'd save her this time. "I'm coming for you, Lily. Please, wait for me."

...

"Blade?" Lily was in the spaceship in a confined purple room on a flat hard bed. She felt a weird feeling as though someone was thinking about her. She felt a comfortable feeling in her heart like even though she was in outer space all alone, surrounded by her enemies, somehow she knew she'd be saved.