Chapter 24: Unexpected

Joella

Brandon. Brandon Miller.

Damn.

Haven't seen him since the end of my junior year. Time had did him well. He was bigger, more muscular. Slight stubble clung to his chin. His ears were pierced now.

The green studs in his ears caught my attention. Green being my favorite color and all. The navy green athletic shirt clung to his strong arms and showed the ripples of his six-pack.

He looked...good. Anyone with eyes could see that. I could see all the woman behind him still keeping their eyes on him. But at the moment, his intense gaze was on me. Those golden eyes penetrated me with his sultry glare.

His eyes roamed over me, lingering on my thighs longer than they should have. I shifted under his gaze and his eyes quickly lifted to mine, a smirk playing on his lips.

"You look... incredible." Brandon said with a clear of his throat.

"Thank you. You look great too." I said with an awkward chuckle.

Why did I just chuckle?

Beside me, I heard Tony clear his throat gaining my attention.

"We're up next." His tone was cold and dull. He looked me in my eyes and I already knew what he was thinking.

Haden.

I nodded and placed my order. While waiting, Brandon stepped next to me. I could feel Tony tense on the other side of me.

"Still with Cooper huh?" Brandon asked, gesturing towards Tony.

"Yea." I answered with a smile.

"He must really be taking off. You need bodyguards now." He said teasingly.

I chuckled softly as I was handed my strawberry lemonade slushy.

"Something like that." I stated.

"Little one, we have to go." Tony grabbed my attention while glaring at Brandon.

"I can tell he doesn't like me." Brandon said with his typical mischievous smirk.

"It's not me you should worry about." Tony snipped.

Brandon smirked again.

"I'm not worried about Cooper either." His face straightened before he looked back to me with a smile.

"Tell him I said hi, it was really good seeing you Ella." He said as he shook my hand. I felt a paper and looked down as he walked away to see his business card in my hand. Oh boy. 

***

Haden

Brandon. Fucking. Miller.

The sly fucker always had to come back around. I glared at my screen after ready Tony's message.

Sighing I swiped out of his name and dialed Ella's number. She answered on the second ring.

"Haden, please don't start." I rolled my eyes.

"I didn't even say anything?"

"I already know Tony told you." I could hear the annoyance in her voice.

"What did he say to you?"

She paused for a moment. I knew she was trying to read my tone, but I wasn't giving anything away.

"He just told me I looked great and stated how I was still with you. He didn't ask, it was like he knew."

Of course he knew. He knew better than anyone how much Ella meant to me. He knew I would die before I let her go.

"He said she looked incredible boss." Tony's voice yelled out.

Ella sighed before I heard a slap and Tony yell out in pain.

"Shut up Tony!"

"Ella." I said rubbing my fingers against the bridge of my nose.

"Haden, relax." I pushed out a harsh breath as my office door opened, revealing my dad.

"This conversation isn't over. I have to go." Ella sighed and gave a low okay.

"I love you." She added softly. A small smile came to my lips. I know she does.

"I love you too, baby."

After hanging up with Ella, I turned my attention to my dad. I wasn't expecting him to be back soon.

"You're back early." Dad nodded and took a seat on the other side of my desk.

There was a look on his face, it worried me a little.

"What's wrong?" I asked leaning up.

"I need you to promise me you will not tell Ella about any of this I say to you."

That put me on alert. That means something is going on with Stella. Shit.

"Dad, don't ask me to lie to Ella."

"I'm not asking you to lie, I just want you to give Stella the chance to tell her."

Okay what is going on. I carefully eyed my dad and took in his current state. His eyes were red with bags under them. He didn't look like someone who just returned from a vacation.

I gave him a stiff nod and he released a breath.

"Stella has ovarian cancer. Stage 3."

It felt like I had just got punched in the gut. My mind immediately went to Ella's reaction once she found out. Stella was her only living parent. My baby had already been through so much. The possibility of her losing Stella. I couldn't even think about it.

I swallowed thickly as I watched my dad's eyes glisten over. Without a second thought I stood to my feet and walked around my desk. Pulling my dad into a tight embrace.

I knew how much my dad loved Stella. He was just as obsessed as I was about Ella. I could only imagine how he felt. This was his wife. The only woman I ever saw him truly love.

Dad released a heavy sigh and pulled away. He looked me in my eyes with a fierce determination.

"I've got the best doctors on this. She will need surgery, but she will survive."

He said it with so much conviction that I immediately nodded my head in agreement. I had no doubt that he had the best surgeons and the best doctors on the matter.

"When is she telling Ella? I really don't want to have to hold this in long." She will be so upset with me.

"She is going to tell her tomorrow. They have scheduled her surgery in 3 weeks."

I nodded. Keeping this to myself tonight was going to be hard. But I would never take away Stella's chance to talk to her daughter. I will just be here when she needs me.

.
.
.

More coming this weekend!
Vote. Comment. Share