Chapter 40: New Edition

Joella

"You know everything he said was bullshit right?"

I turned my head in the direction of the voice. Tony walked out of the dark hallway and made his way to the sofa, next to me.

I sighed and nodded.

"I know. I don't even know why I'm allowing his words to get to me."

"Because somewhere, deep inside of you, you still wonder what if." I turned to Tony as I took a moment to process his words.

"No...no that's not it," Tony smirked as his hazel eyes looked back at me.

"Then why are you considering going to dinner with him?"

"Would dinner really hurt anything?"

Tony stared at me blankly.

"Yes."

I sighed and leaned my head back. I knew that already. Haden would flip and rightfully so.

"Ella, you know if you say yes. I'm calling Haden."

I glared at him.

"That's not necessary. I wouldn't go without telling him. What do you take me for?"

Tony smiled as he shrugged his shoulders.

"It just seemed like what he was saying was getting to you."

"It was, but not in the way you are thinking. Everyone who isn't around Haden every day thinks the worst of him. They only think about the high school Haden as if people can't grow and change for the better." I vented.

It was really exhausting. Feeling like I had to defend my reasons for being with Haden, who used to be my bully. Everyone acted like I was brainwashed or had some type of Stockholm situation going on and that wasn't the case. If I wanted to leave Haden tomorrow I could, he knows that and so do I. I made a conscious decision to be with Haden and he's been nothing short of amazing.

No one knows the dynamics of our relationship back then better than us. I would really appreciate it if people stopped treating me like I was the same quiet, shy, passive little girl I was in high school.

Soon we heard footsteps coming down the staircase. Brandon came into view as he glanced at Tony before looking at me.

"Dinner?" He asked. I shook my head, causing him to let out a frustrated sigh.

"Jo-"

"Brandon, I said no."

He stared at me for a moment as I felt Tony lean up next to me. Brandon glanced at him before shaking his head.

"Okay. Just know I'm always here for you." He said and walked out the door.

"Just know, I'm always here for you." Tony mocked and I couldn't help the laugh that fell from my lips as I playfully pushed him.

"He wants Haden to hurt him, doesn't he?" Tony added with a shake of his head.

I shook my head as my stomach let out a grumble. Tony looked at me with wide eyes.

"Maybe you should've said yes."

I smacked my lips as I stood to my feet.

"Shut up Tony, let's get food on the way home," I said as I made my way up the stairs.

After saying my goodbyes to Brad and Mom, Tony and I headed out.

"What do you want to eat?" Tony asked as he hopped in the driver's seat.