Chapter 3: Why Do You Hate Me?

Art by: tm_black_cat
Annnnnnd, sketches!
I chose a hair color because you're in your hero form, not your civilian form lol.
Enjoy~!

Y/n took a deep exhale, taking herself in

"Wow," Y/n's mouth dropped, taking out her ladybug- looking yo-yo and using it.
"You still there Tikki?" Y/n called out.
When she got no response she shrugged.
"Alright, night patrol, here we go!" Y/n said to nobody but herself.
She leaped off the balcony and soared nearly 100 feet into the air.
She screamed as she reached for her yo-yo. She remembered seeing a video of the old Ladybug using her yo-yo to swing from place to place.
Making sure it was secure around her finger, Y/n launched it towards a nearby street light, swinging down then back up.
She landed on the roof of a building that would have been a miles walk for her on foot.
"That was crazy." Y/n panted.

After some practicing with her yo-yo and her new agility, the sun finally had set and the moon was rising high.
"He should be here now." Y/n looked around her.
After a few minutes of just swinging around and jumping from buildings to rooftops, she heard the same swinging noise from the night before.
Her smile widened as she tried to pin point where the swinging was coming from.
Then she heard the sound of feet hitting the ground.
"Who are you?" A voice growled.
Y/n turned around but had to step back.
Suddenly her vision was clouded with colors of white and blue, glitching in and out of her vision. Bright blue eyes followed her, stared her down.
"Little kitty on a roof, all alone without his lady~" a distorted tune played in her mind.
As soon as it started it stopped, Y/n put her hands to her temples and breathed in deeply.
"What was that?!" Y/n screamed into her head.
But as soon as she saw Chat's confused and angered expression, Y/n cleared her throat.
"Hi! I'm ladyb-."
"The only ladybug I know of is dead, so either you're akumatized, or you're an imposter." Chat sneered at her.
"Akuma-? Ohhhhh, that thing. I understand, I understand." Y/n nodded, walking closer to Chat.
Chat started stepping away.
"Did you even hear me? You're not her!" Chat raised his voice.
"I know, and I'll never be her. But you need a partner and Master Su Han chose me," Y/n talked calmly.
Chat raised a menacing brow, Y/n sighed.
"Let's try this again. Hi, I'm Ladybug." Y/n stretched a hand out.
"Chat Noir." Chat grumbled, ignoring Y/n's hand and running off the building to start patrol.
Y/n sighed, not understanding how he could like civilian her, but not superhero her.
Then she looked at herself and realized who he wanted her to be.
"He thinks I'm just a replacement..." Y/n realized, following behind him shortly after he left.
But now she couldn't find him, he couldn't have been that far behind.
Then Y/n saw him again, balancing himself on his stick which was extended across two buildings.
Like an acrobat walking a tight rope.
"If we don't try to become friends now, how well do you think we'll work together when Hawkmoth decides to akumatize?" Y/n followed after Chat, trying to balance on the stick with him.
"We don't have to be friends, we just have to get the job done." Chat spat, his head turning slightly in her direction.
"Ok, sure, but if you already hate me, then how are we supposed to get the job done if you can't even tolerate my presence?" Y/n tried to reason, almost slipping and falling while doing so.
Chat twirled around with ease, walking with one foot in front of the other, his hands planted behind his back.
"Look, I don't...hate you, I just wish you were... somebody else." Chat cringed at Y/n.
Y/n, who's legs were wobbling from trying to balance, and who's hands were flailing around on either side of her, snapped her head up as Chat's words left his mouth.
Y/n frowned at him, but understood why.
"I know who you wanna pretend I am, but I'm not her! I can't live up to her expectations, I can't live up to your standards of the kind of ladybug I should be, I'm just-," Y/n tripped, starting to fall.
"ME!" Y/n yelled as she irrationally didn't think to use her yo-yo to save her.
She saw Chat's eyes widen as he jumped up, grabbing his stick, and plunging downwards.
He scooped Y/n up with one arm, while the other extended the stick again.
Y/n clutched her hands firmly around Chat's neck, terrified after the previous event that happened seconds before.
They landed on top of a building, Chat put his stick away and used both arms to continue carrying Y/n bridal style.
Y/n and Chat stared at each other, until Chat let her drop to the ground.
"OUCH!" Y/n yelped.
"Don't think this means I like you now or anything, I was just doing what any other decent person would do." Chat raised his hands up, a numb expression playing on his face.
Y/n got up, rubbing her lower back which landed on the ground first.
"Thanks." Y/n thanked.
Chat rolled his eyes.
"Don't mention it." He crossed his arms.
"Look, can we at least start over?" Y/n pleaded.
Chat stared down at her, his eyes firm and angered.
Finally he let out a strained sigh.
"Fine. Hi, I'm Chat Noir." Chat reluctantly held a hand out.
"I'm Lady-! Peony, Peonybug." Y/n thought quickly, awkwardly smiling.
Chat raised a confused brow at her rather ridiculous name.
"What? Peonies mean good fortune, I thought it fit." Y/n shrugged, shaking his hand.
"O...k..." Chat said slowly, quickly letting go of Y/n's hand.
Y/n smiled up at him, her hands pressed together in a way that made it look like she was praying.
Chat scoffed and turned away.
"C'mon, we gotta finish patrol." Chat beckoned her forward.
Little did Y/n now that if she were facing Chat Noir right now, she'd see the smallest smile planted on his face.

"So, why can't we reveal our identities to each other again? I don't see why not?" Y/n asked Tikki, feeding her some chocolate's from downstairs after patrol.
"Because, not only does Chat dislike you number one, but main reason number one being that if Hawkmoth finds out who you are by one of you slipping up, he can use that against you two." Tikki explained.
"But couldn't that happen anyways?" Y/n asked, getting a good look at the miracle box as Tikki spoke to her.
Tikki raised her tiny hand and opened her mouth, but closed it soon after, thinking.
"I- guess so, it's just safer this way." Tikki finally replied.
"I also have to keep these on 24/7, correct?"
Y/n asked next, pointing to her earrings.
"Yes, that way there's no chance of you misplacing them or them getting stolen." Tikki nodded her head.
"Makes sense." Y/n hopped up from her bed to put her music box today.
"Why doesn't Chat Noir like me? It's not like I wanted the other Ladybug- Marinette-whatever- It's not like I wanted her to die!" Y/n lifted her hands up, only to flop them back down to her sides.
"He's still grieving Y/n, you have to give him some time. She only died barely a few days ago." Tikki frowned.
"What about you? Aren't you sad she died?"
Y/n asked the kwami, flopping down on her bed as she did so.
"I-....yes, I really miss her. But my job now is to help you as Ladybug, I don't have time for grieving." Tikki said.
"It's no big deal really, everybody needs time to mourn over the loss of a loved one. Even kwamis." Y/n sat up.
Tikki sniffed before sobbing into Y/n's shoulder.
"I miss her so much! I didn't even get to say goodbye, she renounced me before I could!" Tikki sobbed.
"Shhh, there there, it's gonna be ok." Y/n soothed Tikki, patting her small back her her finger.
Y/n really wanted to feel hurt and offended. She constantly said the wrong thing that made Marinette's friends remember the fact that she died, Chat Noir hated her solely because she became Ladybug, her own Kwami even wanted her old guardian back.
But what could she do? They're in the process of grieving, she's just caught in the middle of things for the time being, but she could handle that.
She could take it for now.
"Go to sleep Tikki, tomorrow's another day."
Y/n yawned, setting Tikki down into a little makeshift bed Y/n made out of an old jewelry box and by cutting small squares out of old blankets.
Y/n turned off all of the lights in her room, she stretched then cuddled under her sheets.
Tomorrow was another day, but first, Y/n had to handle her own nightmare first.

Thank you for reading!
Please let me know if I made any mistakes!
Have a blessed day/morning/night!<3