Chapter 8: The Start Of Uncovering The Truth

Art by: 2624nine
Back from vacation! Updates should be more frequent now, especially since I have many other projects I want to start on!
Enjoy!
Trigger warning: talks of suicide

Like every night Y/n's gone to sleep since she's received the Ladybug Miraculous, She stepped into the same white void with Marinette in her Ladybug outfit. As always.
"The hallucinations are getting worse." Y/n said.
This time, Y/n imagined her and Marinette were in a Coffee shop. Just the two of them. But her brain only had the capacity to imagine the shop, the outside was still the same, endless, white void.
Her and Marinette were playing chess while talking this time. They were sitting in the corner, a window to the side of them and other tables and chairs on the other.
"They're supposed to." Marinette frowned, not looking up from the board.
While taking a sip from her strawberry lemonade, Marinette took one of Y/n's pawns.
"Why can't you just tell me why?!" Y/n almost snapped, her hand clenching around her drink.
Marinette looked up for once this whole dream, her eyes filled with deep pain.
"I've tried Y/n, believe I have, but your mind doesn't want to hear it. It refuses!" Marinette explained, taking a knight.
"Oh yeah? Prove it." Y/n demanded, taking one of Marinette's pawns.

"C̸̢̱̗̟̍͗̈́̆͗͒͊̑͘͜h̸͎̲͍̉̉͊̈́̓̕͝â̸̠̋ţ̸̛̞̒̑̌́̄̽̀͝ N̶͎̫̉̍͘͝ō̵̝̭͙̊ī̶̧͙͖̲̘r̵̨͇̰̭̜̈́͑ ḡ̴̛͓̬͒̓̉̉̐́͘̕͜ō̵̝̭͙̊ţ̸̛̞̒̑̌́̄̽̀͝ â̸̠̋k̴̼̺̤̗͒͐͊͜ͅų̷͕̙͚͖̲̱̐̒̀̆̎̈͜m̶̜̍̄â̸̠̋ţ̸̛̞̒̑̌́̄̽̀͝ī̶̧͙͖̲̘z̷͋̎͒̆͂̏̔̓͜è̷̛̗̳͚̙͇̘͍͕̊̑̿͘͜d̶͇͆̓̂̆͌͛͠ â̸̠̋n̸͉̠̘̲̼̼̩͗͒̕͝͝d̶͇͆̓̂̆͌͛͠ c̷̡̪̘͎̻̦̀͑̒̈̂̿̑̓̚͜͝â̸̠̋n̸͉̠̘̲̼̼̩͗͒̕͝͝'ţ̸̛̞̒̑̌́̄̽̀͝ b̶̡͙̖̹̻̙̠̯͓͐͘è̷̛̗̳͚̙͇̘͍͕̊̑̿͘͜ ţ̸̛̞̒̑̌́̄̽̀͝r̵̨͇̰̭̜̈́͑ų̷͕̙͚͖̲̱̐̒̀̆̎̈͜s̷̠͕̪̥͐̌ţ̸̛̞̒̑̌́̄̽̀͝è̷̛̗̳͚̙͇̘͍͕̊̑̿͘͜d̶͇͆̓̂̆͌͛͠!"

"What?" Y/n's eyes strained, her ears suddenly ringing through her head.
"See? Your mind refuses to accept those flashbacks and who they are. They're only gonna get worse until you discover the truth on your own. I'm trying to help you, to warn you!" Marinette finally took her King.
"Checkmate." She said half-heartedly.
"More like a curse of illusions and hallucinations," Y/n grumbled, sipping her drink.
"Wait a minute, you keep saying flashbacks instead of hallucinations...so does that really mean that-?" Y/n faltered.
Marinette sighed.
"It's for your own good, I don't want what happened to me happen to you." Marinette finished her drink.
"And what did happen to you exactly? What made you decide to do what you did? What impact you left on yourself and others?" Y/n spat at her.
Marinette cringed away, her face scrunching up.
Y/n's eyes widened a bit at her statement. She didn't mean to sound so harsh, she realized that Marinette probably thought she had no other choice.
"I trusted the wrong person, loved the wrong person, I let them get into my head and this is what happened." Marinette said bitterly, gesturing to our surroundings.
"Who? Do I know them?" Y/n leaned in closer.
"Yes! But you won't let me say it!
C̸̢̱̗̟̍͗̈́̆͗͒͊̑͘͜h̸͎̲͍̉̉͊̈́̓̕͝â̸̠̋ţ̸̛̞̒̑̌́̄̽̀͝ N̶͎̫̉̍͘͝ō̵̝̭͙̊ī̶̧͙͖̲̘r̵̨͇̰̭̜̈́͑! See? I tried warning you when I first met you, but now that you know them, I can't say anything." Marinette glared at her side.
"You did?" Y/n panicked a bit. She racked her brain, recalling every encounter she has had with Marinette all the way to their very first meeting. But it was all blurry, she couldn't remember any of it.
"I'm sorry, it's all blurry." Y/n massaged her temples, her head was starting to really hurt.
"I'm only trying to protect you you know." Marinette frowned.
"I know, but do you really have to make me see all of these hallucinations? They're doing more harm than good." Y/n shivered.
"They're the ones I had, they're apart of what I actually saw, and I had to endure seeing them in my memories time and time again. It's not all my fault you know. The miraculous are partially to blame, I just haven't stopped them yet because I think you need to see them too." Marinette shrugged.
Y/n's eyes twitched, did she hear her right?
"So you could have stopped them all this time and haven't? Why?!" Y/n nearly shrieked in terror, knowing she probably already knew why.
"If you don't wanna hear who's the reason behind all of this hell then I'm gonna make sure you see it the hard way!" Marinette got up, pointing an accusing finger at Y/n.
"You're crazy!" Y/n got up too, but sat back down immediately, her head was now pounding.
Marinette crossed her arms, a stern look sitting on her face.
"You'll see soon that I'm only trying to protect you. And make sure you don't fall inlove with anyone, that was my first mistake." Marinette spat out, bitterness wedged onto her words.
"How'd you know-!"
"I may not be able to see through your eyes, but the earrings see all, therefore I know all!" Was the last thing Y/n heard before she woke up.
Y/n gasped, she was disgusted, mortified, and over all fearful.
She clawed at her ears until her earrings were out of them, then she threw them across the room.
Y/n breathed hard, staring at the glittering earrings with distaste.
But then she realized, if she chose not to be Peonybug anymore, Paris would be in danger again, she wouldn't be able to spend time with Chat Noir again, Chat would feel abandoned...again.
Y/n dove out of bed, crawling to the earrings and placing them firmly back on.
"What was that all about Y/n?" Tikki flew out of the miraculous.
"Nothing! I'm fine!" Y/n said, jittery.
Tikki sighed, not bothering to push and flew back to bed.
It was as if she knew there was no way to reason with Y/n to discuss it... "Did she experience this with Marinette?" Y/n thought.
Was Marinette like this as well?
"Wait-," Y/n stopped the little Kwami.
Tikki turned back, her face now hopeful.
"There is something." Y/n hesitated.
For the next 20 minutes, Y/n explained everything to Tikki. She explained her hallucinations, Marinette, her feelings toward everything, she even talked about Chat Noir.
When she finished, Tikki was speechless.
"I-...don't know what to say." Tikki responded, her face looking lost.
"You don't have to, all I know is that once I figure out the person in these illusions, Marinette will leave me alone and the hallucinations will disappear." Y/n said.
"I never thought Marinette would be the kind of person to do that...then again, she didn't tell me much either." Tikki looked down, sadly.
"I'm not Marinette Tikki, I won't be like her." Y/n promised.
Tikki's eyes showed hopefulness but immediately dulled right after.
Y/n used her finger to lightly pat Tikki's head.
"I gotta get ready for school now ok? Why don't you make yourself cozy in my bag?" Y/n tried to give the Kwami a soft smile.
"O-ok..." Tikki gave a small smile back.
Y/n got off her bed and got ready for school.
She hopped her way down the stairs and was ready to say good morning to her parents.
She stopped on the last step of the stairs.
"Right...they're still out of town." Y/n mumbled to herself.
Since her meeting with Marinette ended abruptly this morning, Y/n woke up early and decided to take her time.
She grabbed her favorite cereal and poured it into a big bowl. She then poured the milk in and dug in.
"You want some Tikki?" Y/n said with a full mouth.
"No thanks! I prefer macrons." Tikki spoke from the bag.
"Really? I'll keep that in mind next time I go shopping." Y/n finished her bowl.
She then walked calmly to school, subconsciously making sure everything was in her bag, she had everything she needed and making sure her earring were in tact.
As Y/n was crossing the street to her school though, another illusion came.
That same, stupid, irritable, distorted song came pulsing through Y/n's ears.
Except this time, it sounded worse.

"l̶̘̫͚͎̟̙̺̼̦͈̋̽̔ī̶̧͙͖̲̘ţ̸̛̞̒̑̌́̄̽̀͝ţ̸̛̞̒̑̌́̄̽̀͝l̶̘̫͚͎̟̙̺̼̦͈̋̽̔è̷̛̗̳͚̙͇̘͍͕̊̑̿͘͜ k̴̼̺̤̗͒͐͊͜ͅī̶̧͙͖̲̘ţ̸̛̞̒̑̌́̄̽̀͝ţ̸̛̞̒̑̌́̄̽̀͝y̶̡͕̮͇͖͕̮̳̲̓ ō̵̝̭͙̊n̸͉̠̘̲̼̼̩͗͒̕͝͝ â̸̠̋ r̵̨͇̰̭̜̈́͑ō̵̝̭͙̊ō̵̝̭͙̊f̴̧̭͓̘̱̖̯͋̇͒̀́, â̸̠̋l̶̘̫͚͎̟̙̺̼̦͈̋̽̔l̶̘̫͚͎̟̙̺̼̦͈̋̽̔ â̸̠̋l̶̘̫͚͎̟̙̺̼̦͈̋̽̔ō̵̝̭͙̊n̸͉̠̘̲̼̼̩͗͒̕͝͝è̷̛̗̳͚̙͇̘͍͕̊̑̿͘͜ w̷̡̲̲̞͎̣̱̟̰͎̐̋̒ī̶̧͙͖̲̘ţ̸̛̞̒̑̌́̄̽̀͝h̸͎̲͍̉̉͊̈́̓̕͝ō̵̝̭͙̊ų̷͕̙͚͖̲̱̐̒̀̆̎̈͜ţ̸̛̞̒̑̌́̄̽̀͝ h̸͎̲͍̉̉͊̈́̓̕͝ī̶̧͙͖̲̘s̷̠͕̪̥͐̌ l̶̘̫͚͎̟̙̺̼̦͈̋̽̔â̸̠̋d̶͇͆̓̂̆͌͛͠y̶̡͕̮͇͖͕̮̳̲̓~."

Y/n's breath hitched as she closed her eyes and plugged her ears.
Y/n whimpered, she spared only a split opening in her eyes and was met with those crystal clear blue eyes.
"Don't be afraid, I won't harm you~ yet." A dark, smooth voice purred into Y/n's ear. He grabbed her wrist and yanked it away from the ear he was whispering into.
The voice sounded painstakingly familiar, but from where?!
Y/n felt a claw lifting her chin up, his claw so sharp that it sliced through a bit of her skin.
Y/n shrieked and jumped back, she could feel him this time. Not just the normal looking and hearing and flashing and switching hallucinations no, she could feel him this time.
Before she could get a good look at him though, she heard the loud sound of a car honking.
The illusion faded away with that same wretched, sinister laugh echoing away.
Y/n blinked her eyes rapidly to get rid of the nauseating images she saw before her. Y/n quickly touched her chin, not even a small bump could be felt.
"Y/n! Move!" She heard a voice shout.
"Wh-wha-?" Y/n mumbled, mainly to herself.
When she looked in front of her, a car was flying right towards her.
That explained the horn that snapped her out of it.
But Y/n was too petrified, too scared to move or do anything.
...at least if she died she wouldn't have to deal with those illusions anymore...
"Y/N!" The same voice said louder, inching closer to her ears.
When Y/n looked to the side, she saw Adrien darting towards her. Suddenly, her feet were off the ground and she was in his arms.
The car darted by, still honking right as Adrien saved her.
"What were you thinking?!" Adrien yelled at her as he started walking back towards the school while still carrying Y/n bridal style in his arms.
Y/n wanted to shrink until she was the size of a mouse but that yell...it sounded familiar.
"Chat?" Y/n whispered softly.
Adrien seemed to pale a bit as she said that.
"What did you just say?" He looked down at her.
"B-bat! There were two boys playing at the park and a ball flew right at me! Guess it left me in a daze for awhile there huh?" Y/n laughed awkwardly.
Adrien sighed deeply, still sounding annoyed.
"Just be more careful next time ok?" Adrien set Y/n down once they reached the entrance of the school.
"O-okay..." Y/n breathed.
Adrien turned around to walk inside but Y/n grabbed his hand fast.
He turned back around and they stared at each other.
Those eyes...they were those same enchanting, beautiful green eyes Y/n saw in Chat's.
She was gonna get to the bottom of this, and soon. But for now, she needed more evidence, and that'd have to wait.
"Thank you." Y/n said instead.
Adrien's lips pursed as he roped his arms around Y/n.
"You just scared me that's all, I'm sorry for yelling." Adrien replied.
"You were just looking out for me." Y/n smiled as they walked into class.
Y/n sat next to Alya with 15 minutes left until class started.
"Hey Alya, you own the Ladyblog right?" Y/n asked.
"Yeah! I was thinking of starting to call it the Peonyblog but..." Alya trailed off.
Y/n put  her hand on Alya's and gave her a smile but Y/n's eyes were tired.
"I know, you're not ready for change, but that's not what I wanted to ask about. How much do you know about Hawkmoth?" Y/n asked.
Alya's eyes seemed to sparkle. She quickly pulled out her computer and pulled up her Ladyblog page.
"He's now called Shadowmoth, he's the main villain behind all the villains Chat Noir and Peonybug face on a weekly basis. Nobody knows what his motive is, I think it's power? Here's some article's I made, knock yourself out!" Alya clasps her hand together in glee.
"Thanks!" Y/n smiled, starting to scroll through her friend's page.
With Marinette, Chat Noir, and the illusions/hallucinations/whatever! Y/n completely forgot to focus on her enemy, Shadowmoth.
Dealing with Chat Noir's identity and Marinette's constant nagging with the hallucinations were gonna have to wait until later.
And if Y/n ever wanted to pursue her new feelings for Chat Noir, she was gonna have to find out everything she could find out about Shadowmoth. She didn't know what it was with the sworn secrecy and why it had to be, but if it was that important, Y/n was gonna go through whatever it took to make sure it was all gonna be safe.

Thank you for reading!
Please let me know if I made any mistakes!
Have a blessed day/morning/night!<3