Chapter 4: Nightmares

(Trigger warning: talk about suicide)
Art by: Only_Miraculous_Doodles

Y/n gasped as she woke up, but she wasn't in her room.
She was in a plain white void. It looked endless.
"Hello?!" Y/n called out, only for her call to echo off the walls.
Y/n's breathing started to come out in ragged puffs as panic settled into her chest.
"HELLO?!" Y/n yelled, running through the white void.
She felt like she was going in circles, this had to be a nightmare right? But why did it feel so real?
Suddenly, Y/n rammed herself into somebody.
They both got knocked to the floor.
"Sorry, sorry, this is my fault." A voice apologized.
"It-it's fine, where am I?" Y/n opened her eyes, gasping and almost screaming once she saw who was there.
"Marinette?" Y/n stuttered out, looking at Marinette in her Ladybug outfit.
Marinette smiled, but sadly.
"Yeah, that's me." She replied.
"But how? How are you here? No offense,  but you're dead!" Y/n got up, staring at the ghost in front of her.
"Well, for starters, we're in your mind,"
Marinette pointed her finger to her head.
"My-my-mind?!"
"Secondly, I'm here because you and I are connected. Through our earrings." Marinette tapped on both her earrings.
"I thought I had them now." Y/n grabbed her ears, feeling her earrings still intact.
"Every holder of the ladybug has it's past owner all the way to when the miraculous was first created. We're all connected through it." Marinette raised her hand, she pressed her palm to the ground and just like that, swarms of red with black polka dots surged through them.
Creating northern light-like lights. Each showing a previous holder of the miraculous.
Y/n looked up, turning around to see every holder.
"Wow." Y/n breathed.
"It is the previous holder of the ladybug miraculous' job to help guide the new ladybug. Mine helped me, now I'm gonna help you." Marinette smiled.
Y/n took a shuddered breath, processing everything.
So many things were happening at once.
"My mind huh?" Y/n thought.
With a turn and wave of her hand, she turned her mind into a calming meadow.
Y/n smiled, but it faded.
"Why did you die?" Y/n asked, facing Marinette.
Marinette gave Y/n a smile but it was filled with pain.
"Nobody ever wants to die Y/n, but I couldn't take what I was seeing." Marinette put her hands on either side of Y/n's shoulders.
"What...were you...seeing?" Y/n tilted her head.
Suddenly, Marinette became very serious and frighteningly scared.
"Don't trust Chat Noir," she quickly said.
"What?" Y/n blinked her eyes, the world around her blurring back into the white void.
"Don't trust him Y/n, he can't come back. Promise me he won't come back!" Marinette yelled, shaking Y/n. The white void started crumbling around her, Y/n must've been about to wake up.
"What do you mean? Who?!" Y/n started to hyperventilate, terrified.
"The visions! You'll see, they'll tell you! They'll tell you!" Marinette repeated, her eyes wide and horrified.

Y/n almost screamed as she bolted up in bed.
"Y/n?" Tikki was suddenly up and at Y/n's side.
"I'm fine! I'm fine..." Y/n slowed down her breathing, clutching her shirt.
"Y/n...you're trembling." Tikki said, her voice kind but worried.
"I'm fine Tikki, really, it was just a nightmare." Y/n convinced herself.
"Ok, if you need to talk though, I'm here." Tikki rubbed her eyes.
Y/n peeked at her phone.
"4:27..." Y/n sighed.
"It's ok Y/n, just go back to bed." Tikki yawned, already laying back down.
"Tikki, spots on." Y/n said, getting up from her bed.
"Wha-!?" Tikki was cut off, flying into Y/n's earrings as Y/n transformed.
Y/n lept from her balcony and soared through the skies.
She knew there was no way she'd be going back to bed if she could help it.
As she was mid-swing though, the distorted images came back.
Y/n squinted her eyes, the illusions messing with her brain.
This time though, she could fully make out his white suit and hair.
She could see glimpses of smile which looked looked maniacal but forced.
Then they stopped, but Y/n let go to quickly to rebound, Y/n fell.
Y/n was mid scream when she hit the ground.
"Ow..." Y/n groaned, slowly getting up.
"You ok?" A voice asked.
"Yeah I'm- Chat Noir?" Y/n looked up at him.
"The one and only." Chat said, tiredly.
He offered a hand which Y/n took carefully.
Good thing she fell from a street light, she'd be walking to school with only a few deep bruises probably.
Y/n stared up at Chat noir, her cheeks couldn't help but to put sprinkles of pink on them as
Y/n continued to stare.
Chat cleared his throat.
"So, what are you doing up this early?"
Chat asked, using his stick to propel himself on top of the roof above them.
Y/n followed.
"I could ask you the same thing." She replied.
"Couldn't sleep, I can't sleep throughout most of the night nowadays." Chat put one knee to his chest, the other leg hanging over the ledge.
Y/n sat by him, still keeping a good distance from him though.
She was about to say she woke up because of nightmares, but why would he care?
"Couldn't sleep either." Y/n mumbled, sitting criss cross, the palm of her hand resting under her chin.
It was quiet for awhile after that, but Y/n wouldn't say it was awkward.
But throughout the silence, Y/n couldn't stop thinking about her dream.
She had a hard time believing she was talking with the real Marinette, but after everything she's done and seen, she could believe it.
But why did she tell Y/n not to trust her former partner? As far as she knew, they were best friends. So why?
"Hey Chat, what was Ladybug to you?"
Y/n blurted.
Chat made a sound that sounded like he was choking.
"That is none of you business!" He exclaimed, anger itching at his throat.
"It was just a question, sorry." Y/n seemed to have become smaller.
Chat's wide eyes softened, making Y/n peek up from her lowered head.
Then Chat started to chuckle a bit, he looked like he was reminiscing.
"I uh- I loved her, very much. She only thought of us as friends, but we still made an unstoppable team. One day though, she stopped trusting me and now..." Chat trailed off, his neutral face turning into a deep frown with his eyes now squinting.
Y/n could tell he was about to cry, but she didn't stop pressing the subject.
"Why did she stop trusting you?" Y/n asked next, scooting a bit closer to Chat.
"I-," Chat paused, looking out into the distance.
"I don't know." Chat then looked down, putting both his legs off the ledge, his hands fiddling with themselves on his lap.
Y/n frowned at his sorrow, it didn't make sense why Marinette would distrust him like that.
She saw the hallucinations, yes, but what did they have to do with Chat Noir?
He may have disliked Y/n yes, but Y/n recognized the fact that it was because she was not her. And she could now see why that bothered Chat so much, he loved her.
"I'm sorry how your relationship with her ended, I may not know you well yet, but I don't think you deserved that." Y/n tried to offer a smile.
Chat scoffed.
"There's so much more you don't know." He mumbled.
Y/n raised a brow and frowned, why did he always have to be so mysterious?
"Sorry..." she whispered.
Chat rubbed his forehead.
"No, I'm sorry. It's hard accepting that she's gone..." Chat closed his eyes, but he didn't look peaceful, he looked tormented.
Y/n looked from him to the night still laid before them.
"I'm sorry I'm not her." Y/n mumbled.
"Would you please stop apologizing?! I know it's not your fault!" Chat snapped.
Y/n stared wide eyed at him.
She just didn't wanna say the wrong thing.
Chat's almost disgusted look vanished as he slouched a bit and looked off in front of him.
Y/n shifted a tiny bit closer to him, lightly placing her hand on top of his.
"Sorry." Y/n smiled, obviously meaning it as a joke now.
Chat took his hand away immediately but let out a small exhale, giving Y/n a soft smile.

For the next hour or so, Chat and Y/n just talked.
It was amazing how much you could get to know a person within such a small amount of time.
By the time they ran out of topics, the sun was mid way into rising.
"Shoot, I have to get ready for school!" Y/n gasped, jumping up.
"Dang it, you're right. See you tonight for patrol?" Chat asked.
"You know it." Y/n finger gunned him, mentally slapping herself in the face for doing so.
"Have a paw-some day today." Chat smiled, this time, giving her a genuine smile.
"Was that a cheesy cat pun?" Y/n giggled, getting ready to swing away.
"Yeah, I guess it was." Chat seemed to smile brighter, earning a light blush from
Y/n.
Little did Y/n know, it had been months since Chat made a cat pun due to his and Ladybug's relationship.
This was a big step for him.
"Bye Chat." Y/n laughed waving.
"By peebs." Chat waved, propelling himself away.
"He gave me a nickname? He gave me a nickname!"
Y/n cheered for herself, celebrating this new step into her friendship with Chat.
But now it was time for school, and what awaited her later that day was going to be one of Peonybug's biggest challenges yet as the new Ladybug.

Thank you for reading!
Please let me know if I made any mistakes!
Have a blessed day/morning/night!<3