Chapter 9: Panic

Thank you guys for over 200 reads!!!That means a lot!^-^
Enjoy~!
Art by: dani_smilek
Trigger warning: panic attack/mental breakdown

Nightly patrol, the one part of today that Y/n had been dreading. Y/n and Chat Noir may have been on good terms, but Peonybug and Chat Noir weren't.
Y/n didn't mean to stand Chat Noir up, she really didn't, she had just...forgotten.
Now with all this research she had just processed about her enemy, Shadowmoth, her stress has doubled.
She really needed Chat Noir, her friend, frankly, a friend that made her heart rate skip a few beats every time he was near her but a friend nonetheless. But first, she had to face the conflict she knew she caused.
Y/n transformed, swung off her balcony, and landed on top of the building her and Chat always met on.
It wasn't a special building really, it was an old, abandoned apartment complex. There were a few chimney's, crates left unopened, a couple of thin black poles with smaller poles coming out of them from the top, and a few wires that had clothes pins clipped onto them.
Truly, nothing special, but it was the first place Chat and Y/n had first met so to Y/n, this was a special place.
The familiar sound of soft feet planting themselves on the ground made Y/n slightly jump, her nerves getting the best of her.
Y/n took in a deep exhale and turned around only to be met with sad, angered green eyes...
Just like Adrien's...
"You stood me up!" Chat Noir yelled in Y/n's face.
That snapped Y/n out of her thoughts, it also made her realize how close they were to each other...
"Focus Y/n!" Y/n thought frantically to herself.
"I'm sorry Chat, I really am! I have no excuse and I won't try to make a dumb excuse. I had a lesson with Master Su Han and I forgot to tell you! That day was really stressful and-...I'm sorry..." Y/n rubbed her arm, guilt splattered all over her face.
"Sorry can't cut it, an akuma could've attacked and I wouldn't have known where you were! You can't put me in the back of your mind like that, you can't do that to me again!" Chat started to rant as he twirled around and waved his hands around him.
"Hey! I didn't put you in the back of my mind I already told you-!" Y/n started to reach over to put a hand on Chat's shoulder but she stopped mid way.
"Again? Kitty, what do you mean-." Y/n's eyes widened as the nickname escaped from her mouth. She didn't mean to call him that, it just sort of...slipped out?
Chat whirled around, his pupils narrowed into mere slits in his eyes, like an angry cat or even worse, a cat about to pounce on their prey.
Chat smacked Y/n's hand away with so much force, she fell to the ground.
Her breathing quickened as she stared at Chat with horror written on her face.
"Don't you ever call me that nickname. Do you hear me? YOU CANT CALL ME THAT LADYBUG-!" Chat yelled.
Y/n gasped as she fully processed what he was saying.
He just called her Ladybug, he wasn't really yelling at her...was he?
"Chat...?" Y/n cautiously asked.
"I-I..." Chat started to stutter, tears falling silently down his face.
His pupils started dilate back to their normal size, but he looked terrified of himself.
He stared at his hands, his eyes now glossy with tears.
Y/n started to slowly get up but Chat took a cautious step back, holding his hand out as a signal to stop.
"I'm sorry." He whispered. He turned around and started to walk away.
Y/n was not going to leave him like that.
She quickly got up and sped walked the distance between them.
She grabbed his hand, turned him around, and embraced him tightly.
Chat breathed in sharply, Y/n could feel him start to shake as he slowly wrapped his arms around her, only to embrace her back just as tightly.
Y/n frowned as she started to hear Chat whimper then full on sob.
His knees buckled from under him, causing them both to fall onto their knees.
"I- I'm so sorry!" Chat gasped as he tried to catch his breath. Y/n could hear him try to hold in his whimpers and coughs, as he harshly sniffled only to gasp again afterwards.
Y/n couldn't help but frown deeply at her partner's breakdown.
"How much mental trauma was he carrying?!"
Y/n thought to herself.
Instead of replying right away, Y/n held him closer to her, letting him know that it was ok.
"Let it out Chat." Y/n gave him permission.
And the scream that Chat let out afterwards...
The bloodcurdling, hair-rising, agony-filled scream Chat let out tore Y/n's heart in two.
she started to slowly and gently weave her fingers through his hair, trying any tactic she could think of to soothe him.
Tears pricked at Y/n's eyes, demanding to be allowed to fall freely, but Y/n refused. She had to be strong, for Chat.
Y/n softly sighed as she leaned her head on his shoulder, only to raise it quickly.
She could hear a soft chuckling, only to grow louder and louder in her ear.
"Not again...not now!" Y/n thought, her heart starting to race.
She softly groaned as she felt what once was soft and delicately gloved hands were now rough and clawing at her back.
She could feel the claws sink and tear away at her skin.
Y/n whimpered but tried to keep it silent, knowing that in reality Chat Noir needed her right now and she couldn't let him know that something bad was happening on her end.
She stopped playing with the once blond hair, now pure white, and instead hugged the body of the person who was torturing her as a way to fight the pain, knowing that in reality she was really hugging Chat Noir.
"Why so silent little bug~? I want to hear your screams." The voice purred in her ear.
Y/n tried to ignore him, and his sadistic remarks, placing all her thoughts on Chat Noir.
"Chat Noir needs you, Chat Noir needs you."
Y/n repeated to herself as the voice continued to chuckle.
Then Y/n realized, he wasn't distorting or flashing like he normally did, Y/n could figure out the identity of this psycho right now!
Y/n softly yanked herself away from the illusion, keeping Chat Noir in mind, only to seal her eyes shut in pain.
Y/n arched her back as the maniac's claws sunk deeper into her skin. She couldn't take it anymore, she was about to yell out in pain until she heard him.
"Peony?" She could hear Chat Noir ask in worry.
Y/n opened her eyes and saw it was only Chat Noir, the hallucination ended. Y/n slumped her shoulders, knowing that since she still didn't know who the guy was and why he was so important in Marinette's life, Marinette would continue to let more into Y/n's mind.
"Are you okay?" Chat Noir asked, his voice still a little raspy from the breakdown.
Y/n looked up at him and softly laughed a bit, mostly from the relief of not feeling the rough claws anymore. All she felt now were Chat Noir's.
"Why are you asking me? I'm not the one who had a breakdown." Y/n stopped softly laughing once she saw Chat's distraught face.
"I don't know what happened." Chat finally released himself from Y/n, crawling towards the brick railing and leaning his back on it.
Chat ran his fingers through his hair and sighed deeply.
Y/n looked at him with concern as she joined him.
"Wanna talk about it?" She tried to ask.
Chat turned his face away from her and frowned.
"I don't know what got into me, you didn't deserve that." Chat mumbled.
Y/n breathed in deeply and looked down, leaning her head on the brick railing.
"I don't know what I've done to deserve a lot of things, I definitely don't think I deserved that," Y/n nodded at him.
Chat pursed his lips and continued to frown.
"But," Y/n continued.
"I also don't think you deserve keeping in all of these things that happened between you and Ladybug." Y/n explained.
Chat Noir sighed one of the many sighs of the day and leaned his head back as well, turning his head to face Y/n's.
"We had a great partnership, but then she started to keep in all of these plans and secrets. She started to bring in new people with miraculouses and she started to forget about me, she kicked me out of the equation. It hurt because I-loved her...," Chat Noir paused for a moment, looking defeated.
"She even told one of her friends about her identity, over me! Her partner! I guess I'm just...just-... I'm just scared you're going to end up being the same." Chat finally confessed.
Y/n's cheeks started to tint a light pink at his confession.
"Did you just admit to caring about me?" Y/n lightly giggled.
"Don't sugar coat it, I'm merely stating that-!"
Y/n cut him off with a kiss on the cheek.
"I care about you too, ya ding dong." Y/n laughed.
Y/n couldn't see it, but underneath the mask, Chat Noir was hiding his blush from her line of sight.
They we're silent for a few moments after that, but it wasn't awkward. They were just...resting.
"How about we lighten up patrol? We can just walk around the city, get some snacks while we're at it? I'm sure ice cream will do you some good right about now," Y/n finally suggested, getting up and stretching.
"So? How about it?" Y/n held her hand out, her other hand ready to swing away when ready.
Chat Noir stared at her for the briefest moment and grabbed her hand, holding it tight as she hoisted him up.
"Sounds good." He replied, a small smile forming on his face.
Y/n shared with him a warm smile as they swung/propelled themselves off the roof, only to be met with each other again on the ground below.
"So, what are you in the mood for?" Y/n asked as they started to walk around.
"Cake pops." Chat decided.
"Ooooo, that sounds amazing. Think we'll get a "Saved Paris multiple times" discount?" Y/n joked, swinging her arms in a cartoony manner.
"We better." Chat Noir laughed along.
He started to swing his arms as well, eventually Y/n and his hands intertwined subconsciously.
Neither one of them stopped it, in fact, they both just let it happen.
"We're here!" Y/n bubbled as she opened the doors of the sweet shop.
They ordered every cake pop flavor on the menu, not minding the fact that they would have to share it.
And yes, they did get a superhero discount.
Y/n and Chat Noir walked out of the sweet shop together, their hands never separating as they continued on to do patrol.

Looks like Y/n and Chat are starting to get some whereeee👀
Thank you guys so much for reading!
Please let me know if I made any mistakes!
Have a blessed day/morning/night!<3