Chapter 20

It's Sunday, which means rest day. However I wake up at 8am. Partly from nerves I believe. I just need to know.

I climb out of bed and dress quickly and quietly in a black skirt and white shirt. I quickly add a bit of makeup to my face before making my way downstairs and grabbing some breakfast. I pull my phone out of my pocket and check it.

There aren't any notifications but I open messages and text Dan.

Good morning :) hope you're ok, I have some stuff to sort out this morning but may be able to meet up this afternoon. Mel x

I send the message before shutting my phone and grabbing a piece of paper. I scrawl a message onto it in my messy handwriting.

Hey Harry and Izzy, just gone out for a walk, shouldn't be too long. Junior x

With that I grab a jacket, pick my bag up off the floor and sling it over my shoulder. After putting on a pair of black shoes and a pair of sunglasses, I walk out the house and climb into the taxi waiting for me. I tell the driver the address of the company and he sets off.

It isn't long before we arrive and so I pay the driver. I climb out and look up in shock.

The building is massive, at least 20 floors all with glass windows in stead of walls. Above the main entrance there is a sign saying 'sovereign regulation group'. Well I guess I'm in the right place.

I can see my reflection in the glass of the door. I look like I should be my mother.

Well, that was the look I was aiming for.

I walk up to the front desk, and the receptionist barely looks up.

"Surname?"

"Longed," I respond.

"Ah yes. Carl Bexley is free now. Please make your way to office 4 on floor 12." She says. I nod, not that she is looking, and make my way over to the lift.

I eventually find office 4 and carefully knock on the door.

"Come in,"

I step inside the room, which just has a desk in the middle, a chair either side and a laptop. Other than that the only features are the glass walls, the pot plant in the corner and the man stood looking out the window.

He turns and I can see his face. He is a short stocky man, with a receding grey hair line. He has cold dark eyes set far in his face and his lips are pale and chapped.

"Carl Bexley, and you are,"

"Tracy Longed,"

"Ah Ms Longed, please take a seat."

I carefully sit down on the black leather chair as he sits on the other opposite. He opens the laptop and seemingly pulls up a series of documents on to the screen.

"So Ms Longed, I suppose you know why you are here,"

"Well, partly. I'm not sure of all the details," I reply trying to stop my leg shaking from nerves.

"Would you like me to explain?" I nod silently in response.

"Twelve years ago we started our scheme. It is for the most brilliant children that we could find. Talented you may say. Although we do not work directly work for the government, we are helping them, not that they realise. We are shaping the minds of tomorrow Ms Longed,"

"That didn't really answer my question,"

"Look," he says, leaning forward and resting his elbows on the table, "we have a scheme that we want your daughter to attend. She will benefit. It will shape her mind in many ways, that school cannot. It will make her into a better person for society and equip her for the outside world. We are constantly threatened by outside forces from other countries and we need the best young minds to be ready to fight back with."

"How can you prove this is what is right for my daughter?" I ask, hoping that all of this was just a sick, twisted dream.

"We have testimonials you see," he says, spinning the laptop round, "Toby here, he said it was the best thing to ever happen. That he didn't really understand much before but now he has a better understanding of how he can change the world. He decided not to be with us full time in the end but you win some you lose some."

I stare at the photo blankly. I know that face. He was in the care home. He was constantly angry and wanting to fight everyone who came near. He had a sister who once told me that he used to be sweet and kind and couldn't harm anyone.

They completely corrupted him.

"How could you do that?" I mutter.

"What was that Mrs Longed,"

"How could you do that? Corrupt such a young boy,"

"I think we did quite the opposite Mrs Longed. We turned him into a valuable member of society,"

"No you turned him into a monster,"

"You have never even met the boy Mrs Longed. How do you know his character?"

"I know the boy. Angry, temperamental, lived in a care home with his sister. The same care home as me. You killed my parents and then I ended up in a care home. Oh, you should know that I'm not Tracy Longed. I'm Melody Judd. Maybe you have heard of me. I'm on the west end and have played arenas. McFly, Busted, McBusted, I belong with them now. You want Melody Longed but she doesn't exist, not anymore. You can't have her or me. You should have been stopped 12 years ago. You ruin families and mess with children's perspective to turn them into killing machines," I spit.

"Oh Melody," Carl says standing up, "how foolish of you. You thought you could come here, make a little speech and then we would leave you alone. Quite the opposite. You're here now you might as well stay,"

"You'll never take me,"

"Oh really?" He says as he lifts his watch to his mouth. He presses a button and the begins to speak.

"Security? The walking record Melody Longed is up in office 4. I believe it is time to finally take her." He says with an evil smirk.

I suddenly sprint out the room and look for the best way out. I see a fire exit and go straight for it. I push the door open and start to run down the metal stairs. One flight down I hear shouts behind me. I look up to see several men dressed completely in black.

"We've found her,"

I quicken my pace and try to get down as fast as I can. But they are faster. I feel a hand grab each shoulder.

"Nice try record, but your here now,"

"No I'm not!" I shout ripping out of their grip and our chase begins again. I sprint down the road but they start to close in. I need to get away fast.

I run across the road with barely a look in each direction.

But then I'm on the floor. For a second everything hurts and then,

Nothing.

-------------
A/N

Well I hope you enjoyed that! I absolutely adored writing this chapter and I think it is the quickest I've ever written one.

Anyway, please vote and comment if you enjoyed it

Till next time :)