Small Smiles

A/N Yeah, just 6 reads but I wanna update anyways... My battery's almost dead on mah iPod so yeah....

~AwesomePegacorn

The train stopped, and I got off with the gang, Gemini in my arms. Regulus tried to grab my hand but i cast a fierce look down at Gemini and he just shrugged and continued to walk towards the carriage, Bellatrix, Lucius, and Narcissa behind us.

I gazed fascinatingly at the threstrals who pull the carriages. They were beautifully gaunt creatures with their black skin clinging to their skeletons and ghostly eyes. Ever since I had witnessed the death of my grandfather,I'd been able to see the otherwise invisible animals. The moment of his death played in my mind and I repressed the urge to shudder.
"Are you alright?" Regulus asked. I jerked my head up curtly. I didn't bother to respond, he wouldn't understand. They weren't able to see the skeletal creatures that stood inches from us which meant they would never understand my look of both utter remorse and shock.

The five of us climbed up into the carriages and they rolled off towards Hogwarts. Regulus, Bellatrix, and Lucius were planning on becoming Death Eaters this year (by their parents encouragment) which deeply bothered me. They of course weren't the best friends but I cared for them anyways. By commiting their lives so early to You-Know-Who is utterly insane in my own opinion, but then again I wasn't in charge of them.

I tuned out of their conversation and instead focused on the outside scenery as it passed by.
"Are you excited Amber?" Bellatrix asked in her usually pompous and stuff voice.
"Why would I get one? You know I'm not like that." I declined without even looking at her.
"You must. The Dark Lord would love to have a powerful witch like you!" Bellatrix shrieked. I only rolled my eyes and stroked Gemini's fur.
"Bella, I don't want one." I said firmly. I knew she hated when I called her Bella. Bellatrix huffed before continuing her ranting to Lucius and Regulus.

"It's reassuring," Narcissa murmured from my right. "That I'm not the only one."
"We have a choice," I shrugged. "and I assure you we have chosen correctly." I glanced quickly at Narcissa who was looking apprehensively at Lucius. She sighed and crossed her arms across her chest instead. The carriage stopped not too soon afterwards and we all hopped out and walked through the front doors and into the Great Hall. I remained quiet as they all chatted and sat down at the Slytherin table, watching everyone pile in.

I watched The Marauders (what James and his friends are known as throughout the school) walk in. James looked over at my table and caught my eyes before sending me a slight smirk, his eyes darting quickly to something on my right. I raised an eyebrow and found out he was looking at my goblet. I narrowed my eyes and went to look back up at him but he was already sitting with his back turned towards me.

When everyone had entered and were seated, we quieted down almost immediately by Professor McGonagall's entrance with the first years. They all looked amazed by the beautiful charmed ceiling of the Great Hall that showed the exact same sky that was outside. I didn't blame them honestly, it was beautiful and a right shock at first glance. Professor McGonagall halted the first years and stood before them, the old three legged stool already standing in front of her with the patched Sorting Hat sat upon it. A seam near the brim of the Hat opened up and began to belt out a song- a song that I needn't bother to listen to.

The Sorting went on for an hour almost but once it was done, Dumbledore stood up and gave his usually speech: Ending it with; "New friends can become the best of friends. Now let the feast, begin!"

Just like that, the tables were filled with a variety of foods. I was wary of my Goblet after James' gaze and instead opted to have some soup. I also got mash potatoes and chicken with gravy before getting started on my food. I tried to partake in some conversations but I was far too distracted; something didn't feel right at all... After pudding and all our plates were clear, Dumbledore stood up to give his after-dinner-speech bit stopped abruptly as all the Slytherins -excluding myself- jumped up and began to yodel. I laughed openly at the dumbstruck expressions as they continued yodel, many of them glaring at me or at the Gryffindor table who were laughing the loudest. I was shocked to see that a lot of the teachers were covering their mouths as they giggled to themselves. Then again, they didn't usually get to see such humorus activities.

I was able to find James through the insane amount of Slytherin's blocking my view. I was even more shocked to see him shoot me a smile and a thumbs up. I probably looked like a fish out of water- my eyes were probably very wide as well. He hadn't smiled at me (well, without being forced to) by him in years.

"That was just amazing! Splendid!" Dumbledore exclaimed as they all stopped and sat down irritatedly. I just smiled to myself and focused back on Dumbledore instead, still confused and deeply moved by my brother.

**

¤Edited¤