24 | fuck the vice-president

November 2nd, 2005 -  1:13 p.m.

Neither Chifuyu or Y/n went to school the day after Bloody Halloween. Baji's funeral was to be held on November 3rd, three days after the incident. Chifuyu didn't go two days after either, but Y/n couldn't convince her parents she wasn't feeling well again. When she made it to school, she could hear people whispering and see some pointing at her - apparently it was common knowledge that she was friends with Baji Keisuke.

She didn't really talk to anyone during the day and no one dared approach her either. But she knew she couldn't avoid it at the student council meeting, considering she'd already missed the one in the morning. Her hand hovered over the door for a moment before opening it.

Four heads turned in her direction. Her fellow council members - her friends - seemed rather surprised to see her. She gave them a small wave. ''Hey.''

''L/n,'' President Shirogane said. ''I didn't expect to see you today.''

''Yeah, well.'' Y/n did lazy jazz-hands. ''Surprise, I guess.''

She walked up to the couch where Ishigami was sitting, dropped her bag on it and sat down. Ishigami was looking at her, but looked away when she returned it.

''Y/n-chan, are you okay?'' Fujiwara was suddenly sitting next to her and embracing her.

Awkwardly, Y/n brought her hands up and patted Fujiwara's shoulder. ''I'm fine. I just, uh, I don't really wanna talk about it, alright?''

Her friends nodded, though she could see Kaguya looking at her with her eyes narrowed. Deciding to ignore her, Y/n took out her notebook to ask Fujiwara about something she'd written down.

The five worked in peace for an hour before Ishigami decided he was done and left. Fujiwara also had something to do at home, told Y/n to call her if she needed anything, and left as well. Shirogane's father ended up calling him so he, too, ended up leaving in a hurry.

And then it was just Kaguya and Y/n, sitting in silence.

Y/n was writing down some ideas she had for school trips for each grade. Kaguya, on the other hand, was simply sitting on the couch across from Y/n, sipping on a cup of tea and looking at her. After a while, Y/n was fed up with the constant unashamed stare she was being given.

Putting her pen down, Y/n leaned back in the couch. ''Can I help you, Kaguya?''

Kaguya, too, placed her cup on the table. ''Ah, it's nothing, really. I was just wondering - how did Baji-kun meet his fate?''

Y/n stiffened at her question. ''Come again?''

''Do you not know? I supposed you being close with Matsuno-kun he would've told you.'' Kaguya shrugged innocently, keeping her ever-perfect posture. ''I guess he's as bad of a boyfriend as he is a person.''

''What the hell are you talking about?'' asked Y/n. ''Why do you have it out for Chifuyu so bad, huh? You don't know shit about him.''

''Such language is improper for a student council member,'' Kaguya said, her face as stoic as ever. ''Maybe Matsuno and Baji really are a bad influence on you. Well, at least there's one bad influence less now.''

A smack sounded through the room. Y/n had stood up and slapped Kaguya across the face before she could even think about it, breathing heavily and her hand still in the air. Kaguya's hand had flown to her cheek and her head had turned to the side - her eyes were wide, as if surprised she'd earned herself a hit.

''You're a piece of shit, Shinomiya.'' Y/n stuffed her pens and notebook in her bag before throwing it over her shoulder. ''Never talk about my friends like this again, especially about Baji-kun. You're such a bitch, I don't know how you're the vice-president. Fuck you.'' She couldn't think straight anymore, spurting any curses she could think of at Kaguya before slamming the door after her.

After quickly changing her shoes and leaving the school, Y/n took her phone out, dialed a number and put it on her ear.

''Y/n-chan? What's up?'' Shirogane's voice came after two rings.

''I quit.''

Silence. ''You quit?''

''I'm not going to be in the student council anymore. I quit,'' she repeated.

''What?'' Shirogane's voice went an octave higher in surprise. ''What do you mean? What happened?''

''Bye, Shirogane.'' She ended the call. She didn't feel like answering his question - he'll hear everything from Kaguya later anyway, though she'd probably make herself sound like the victim. Y/n couldn't bring herself to care.

Fuck Kaguya.

November 3rd, 2005 -  2:33 p.m.

Chifuyu and Y/n sat on Chifuyu's bed in his room. Both of the were still wearing their funeral attires and have been sitting in silence for the past half an hour. Peke J was in Chifuyu's lab, trying his best to console his owner, while Mai and Shin laid on each of Y/n's sides, cuddling into her and sleeping peacefully.

Today had been their final goodbye to Baji Keisuke.

''It still doesn't feel real.'' Chifuyu's voice was quiet and raspy, and his eyes were still red and puffy. But he had a small smile on his face. ''It's like he's gonna burst in through the window and ask me to go set a car on fire with him.''

Y/n couldn't help but chuckle. ''I'll miss tutoring his dumb ass if I have to be honest.''

Chifuyu let a sniff out. ''I still don't understand why he thought killing himself would fix all of Toman's problems. Idiot just had to play the hero, didn't he?'' He let his head fall on her shoulder, but didn't let himself cry. Not anymore. ''Man, if Baji saw me crying over him he'd laugh at me.''

Y/n wrapped her arms around him in a side hug and let him ramble to her about Baji. And as she held him there, listening to him talking so highly of his friend, Y/n couldn't believe Kaguya could be such a bitch about him behind his back.

Her phone rang and she looked down, seeing Shirogane's name on the small screen. She pressed the red button and turned her attention back to Chifuyu.

She hadn't gone to school today because of the funeral, but Shirogane, Ishigami and Fujiwara had all tried to reach her the whole day. She knew she'd have to deal with them sooner or later, and she still hadn't told her parents or Chifuyu that she quit, but her problems were irrelevant at the moment.

For now, she just wanted to be next to Chifuyu and hold him through this.