28 | late nigth talks

heyyyyyy uh well i kinda wanna finish this book in the next few chapters and i kinda have ideas now, so i hope the motivation sticks while i still have holidays haha... sorry for the long wait...

———

November 23rd, 2005 - 3:34 a.m.

Y/n wasn't sure where she was.

It looked like an alley. It was dark, so she couldn't exactly make out the neighborhood she was in. There were meows coming from somewhere, but she didn't see any cats. It was silent, the only light coming from the street at the end of the alley. I have to go home. It's late.

How had she ended up here? She didn't remember. Why would she go out alone so late? She had no bag with her, nor a jacket. It was November, why would she go outside without a jacket?

There was a groan. She snapped her head back, her eyes falling on a body — someone was laying on the ground.

''Who's there?'' She asked. She touched around her pockets, but they were empty. She had nothing to defend herself with.

Another groan. ''Help . . .''

Y/n's eyebrows furrowed. She took a few steps closer; the little light shone on the person's face, on his blonde hair covering his eyes. He wore a black uniform, one Y/n knew. What?

''Chifuyu?'' Y/n called out cautiously, taking more steps forward.

''Y/n . . .'' His voice. It was him.

''Chifuyu?'' She asked again, picking up the pace and stepping as she made it in front of him. She could suddenly see — he lay on the ground, a knife stuck in his abdomen, surrounded by blood. Y/n's blood ran cold. ''Fuyu . . .''

Y/n dropped to her knees next to him, one of her knees landing in the blood. She wanted to gag, but she tried her best to ignore the wet feeling, putting her hands on his cheeks. ''Chifuyu? What happened?'' Why was she so calm? Why wasn't she screaming for help?

''Got attacked,'' Chifuyu groaned as he looked up at her. His blue eyes were half-lidded and he had a bruise on his cheek. ''You know how it is.''

''Chifuyu, what—''

He suddenly coughed, blood sprouting out of his mouth.

''Chifuyu?!'' Y/n called. She felt the tears at the corner of her eyes now, the warm drops rolling down her face. ''Chifuyu, what's happening, what—''

''Sorry,'' Chifuyu said. He was barely blinking now, his eyes almost closed. Blood dripped down his chin.

''Chifuyu, come on, this isn't funny,'' Y/n said laughed through the tears, shaking his head. ''Come on. Wake up, yeah?''

Chifuyu didn't move.

''Chifuyu, please,'' Y/n cried, still holding onto his face. Her whole right leg was stained in his blood now. ''Chifuyu, wake up. Wake up, please, Fuyu. CHIFUYU!''

Y/n sat up with a gasp, breathing heavily. Looking around, she noticed her blanket bundled at her waist and Shin and Mai lying together on their bed. Her breathing calmed as soon as she realized she was back in her room.

It was just a dream, Y/n told herself. It's okay. Chifuyu's probably back home sleeping. It's fine, you'll see him in the morning.

Still, she felt like she was suffocating. Getting up from her bed, she put on a pair of socks before she opened the window and sat at her windowsill with a blanket wrapped around her shoulders. The cold air hit her face and she huddled closer to the blanket.

It was just a dream, right? That wouldn't happen. Y/n looked up at the stars as she finally calmed down. It's okay. Chifuyu does dangerous stuff, but that wouldn't happen to him, right? I mean, the worst that could happen is a bruise or two, right? She thought back to Baji and Draken. Right . . . ?

She sat in silence for a while. She closed her eyes, resting her head on the wall. She wasn't sure how long she sat there for, but at one point she heard footsteps. Lifting her head, her eyes fell on Chifuyu; he wore a pair of sweatpants and a white T-Shirt, a brown zip-up on top.

Y/n smiled at the sight. It felt like a boulder had been lifted from her shoulders. ''Aren't you cold?''

Chifuyu finally made it to the windowsill and sat at the other end, his feet dangling outside. ''I'm fine, I think.''

''Hm.'' Y/n moved to sit next to him and offered half of her blanket. He wrapped it around himself. There was silence for a moment before Y/n spoke again. ''What're you doing here?''

''Couldn't sleep,'' Chifuyu admitted. ''Then I saw you come out. I wanted to check on you. Everything okay?''

Y/n nodded. ''Yeah. Just had a bad dream.''

Chifuyu furrowed his eyebrows. ''What was it?''

Y/n opened her mouth, but closed it soon after. She sighed. ''I don't really wanna talk about it.''

''Oh.'' Chifuyu's shoulders sagged. ''Alright.''

Silence fell between them again. Y/n rested her head on his shoulder and the two sat there for a while. Chifuyu thought about what Takemitchi had told him a few days ago. He'd been trying to figure out exactly how Y/n would die, but he had nothing. Hanma was his only possible suspect, but he hasn't been around in a while. Besides, how close was he to Kazutora really?

Chifuyu wrapped an arm around her shoulders. He'd never wanted to bring her into that part of his life, yet there it was, her death in a few days because of him. Because he had to be selfish and drag her into it. But it was too late to back out now. All he could do was protect her from what was to come.

In a way, he wanted to tell her about what Takemichi had told him. Maybe if she knew, she would be more prepared and avoid her own death. But would that really work? Would she believe him? What if she doesn't and pushes him away for being weird and then she ends up dying anyway? He didn't want that.

But he couldn't keep it from her. He had to let her know, there had to be a way to prevent all of this.

''Y/n.''

''Hm?''

But was now the ideal moment? She was tired, so was he. And he couldn't tell her without Takemichi. They had to talk to her together, to convince him properly.

''Do you want to go out tomorrow? After school,'' Chifuyu suggested. ''I want to introduce you to Takemichi.''

''Oh, that weird guy that joined Toman?'' Y/n asked. ''Yeah. Okay, sure.''

Takemichi was going to kill him.

November 23rd, 2005 - 6:57 p.m.

Takemichi's eyes were wide as he sat on the swing next to Chifuyu. ''You what?''

''Hear me out,'' Chifuyu said, rubbing the back of his head. ''You tried to indirectly tell Baji he was going to die, but he still did. Maybe . . . maybe if we actually tell her, she might actually be saved.''

''She's gonna think we're lunatics!'' Takemichi exclaimed. ''We don't even know the cause. What if this just fucks up things more?''

''It wont,'' Chifuyu said. At least, he hoped it won't. ''It'll be fine. We can convince her. You convinced me, right? I'm a bigger skeptic than her.'' Chifuyu wasnt sure if he was trying to convince Takemichi or himself more.

Takemichi sighed. ''If you're sure that'll work . . . but Chifuyu. Whatever happens, you can't let her walk away unless you want her to die.''

Chifuyu gulped. ''I know.'' He looked down at his watch. He was starting to feel warm. ''She should be coming out any minute now.'' Don't worry, Y/n. Whatever happens, I will save you.