29 | disbelief

entering the final stages! i have the last few chapters fully planned out so i hope i can finally finish this haha

———

November 24th, 2005 — 4:56 p.m.

"You're going to die."

She blinked. She wasn't sure if she'd heard Takemichi correctly. "I'm sorry?"

"Dumbass, don't just say it like that!" Chifuyu slapped the back of Takemichi's head, causing him to groan as Chifuyu continued scolding him.

Chifuyu had found her after school as usual, though instead of going home, he asked her to accompany him to meet Takemichi. He didn't explain why, so Y/n assumed they just wanted to hang out. Never would she have guessed the conversation would take such a turn.

''How else am I supposed to put it?'' Takemichi fired back, though he looked worriedly at Y/n, whose eyebrows were furrowed. ''Sorry, I—''

''Y/n, listen.'' Chifuyu cut him off, making Y/n look at him. The three were sitting in a booth of a cafe, Chifuyu and Takemichi on one side, Y/n on the other. The whole situation felt serious and she didn't like it. ''I know this is going to sound crazy, but Takemichi can time travel.''

Y/n blinked again, but didn't speak.

Takemichi nodded in confirmation. ''Yeah, Chifuyu's right. And I learned about what had happened to you, so we thought if we warned you, maybe you can avoid, you know, getting killed.''

Chifuyu and Takemichi were both staring at her in silence, waiting for her to speak. Y/n looked from Chifuyu to Takemichi, then back to Chifuyu and back to Takemichi. She snorted and leaned back in the booth, playing with the straw of her drink.

''Are you two okay? Did you hit your heads or something?'' Y/n asked as she took a sip. She gulped down her beverage and leaned on her elbows, looking at Chifuyu. ''What is this about, Fuyu?''

''Y/n, I know how crazy this sounds, but Takemichi is telling the truth.'' Chifuyu reached out, placing a hand on Y/n's forearm, his thumb rubbing circles. ''When he went to the future, me from the future showed him your grave. It said you would die in three days.''

Y/n bit the inside of her cheek and narrowed her eyes at Takemichi. ''How convenient. You definitely don't sound like you're bluffing. Say all of this is real, how the hell am I supposed to trust you?''

''I knew Baji was going to die in that fight.'' Y/n stiffened at Takemichi's words. ''I tried to save him, but I couldn't. I thought that maybe—''

Y/n let out a dry laugh. ''If you knew Baji was going to die before the fight, you would've put more effort into saving him.'' Y/n suddenly stood up, taking cash out of her pocket and putting it on the table. ''This is ridiculous, bringing Baji into your idiotic prank? Just how stupid do you think I am?'' Y/n looked at Chifuyu, her hand clutching her bag. ''I didn't expect this out of you, Chifuyu.''

Chifuyu stiffened at the use of his full first name in such a tone. He quickly stood up from the booth as well. ''Y/n, that's not—''

''Save it.'' Y/n cut him off, closing her eyes and trying out calm herself down before she yelled at him in front of the whole cafe. ''Whatever this is — I don't want any part of it. Time traveling, are you for real? Using Baji as an excuse to convince me that I'm going to die, too? You guys are crazy.'' Y/n looked at Takemichi this time. ''I don't know what lies you're feeding Chifuyu, but I'd like you to stop. He's vulnerable right now and I don't want you manipulating him or anything.''

''Y/n, he's not doing any of that, he's trying to help us! I don't want you to die, too!'' Chifuyu's voice became louder as he spoke, attracting the attention of other customers.

''I'm not going to die, Chifuyu.'' Y/n said as she took a step back. ''Come find me if you want to have a serious talk about all of this.'' She threw Takemichi a last glance. ''Alone, preferably.''

Chifuyu watched as Y/n left the cafe. He wanted to follow her, to try and convince her they weren't lying, but he knew she needed time. He sat down opposite Takemichi where she'd sat mere seconds ago, putting his head in his hands. ''What are we going to do?''

Takemichi sighed. ''All we can do now is just make sure she doesn't actually die.''

Y/n dead. The thought crossed Chifuyu's mind again. There were just a few days left until she either died or they saved her. Even if she didn't believe them, even if she was going to avoid him now and make this even harder for them, Chifuyu was going to make sure Y/n would live, no matter what.

''I'm sorry for everything she said,'' Chifuyu said, looking at his friend, his partner. Takemichi was a good person. ''She was in shock and pain, I'm sure she didn't mean it.''

''Don't worry about it. Let's just make sure she's safe.''

Chifuyu gave him a smile and a nod.

November 24th, 2005 — 10:55 p.m.

She tried her best to ignore the whole situation with Chifuyu and Takemichi for the rest of the day. She tried to keep busy by doing homework, cleaning the house, playing with the cats. But the moment she sat on her windowsill and looked up at the night sky, she was left alone with her thoughts and nothing to disturb them.

I don't understand why they would make up a lie like this. Is this Chifuyu's way of coping? How did they even come to the conclusion I would die.

The more she thought about it, the less sense it made. She wanted to talk to Chifuyu, clear out the air, but she wanted to try and understand his point of view first. She didn't want another argument, she wanted to talk to him like normal and for them to make up and hang out like usual. He'd called her a few times but she'd ignored him, and she'd even caught him staring at her window from his own a few times during the day.

Still, he should be the one to approach her, right? He's the one acting weird, making up scenarios of her dying and comparing it to Baji.

She wondered what Baji would say to all of this if he were here. Would he have laughed at them? The thought of time travel was ridiculous, he would've definitely mocked them. He might've taken it more light-heartedly than she did.

Looking towards Chifuyu's window, she could see him sitting on his windowsill, too. He was probably looking at her again. She sighed and decided to go inside, uncomfortable under his gaze — a feeling she never thought she would be familiar with. Then again, she never thought someone would tell her she would be dying in a week, either.

Chifuyu watched as Y/n retreated back in her room and the light turned off. Peke J was in his lap and he, too, seemed to be looking at her window with perked ears. Once her lights were off, Peke J's head turned to Chifuyu.

''Sorry, Peke, but Y/n is mad at me,'' Chifuyu explained to his cat as if he understood. ''But don't worry, I'll make things right again. I'll protect her.''

Peke J let out a single meow before he nuzzled into Chifuyu.

Three days. In three days, Y/n would still be alive.