4 | helmet

June 3rd, 2005 - 7:33 p.m.

She put the last snack she was planning to buy in her basket before making her way to the register. Thankfully, the line was short, so her turn came quickly.

''That will be 1.298,76 yen, please,'' the cashier said and Y/n paid before grabbing the plastic bag and bidding goodbye.

It was loud when she left the grocery store - cars and people buzzing about, creating noise as they went, tiring her even further. Thankfully it was Friday and her cram school had just ended, so now she could spend her evening relaxing and reading manga.

What a pleasant thought.

She started walking down the street, sighing at all the way she had to walk before she arrived home. It was a good twenty-minute distance, which caused her to silently groan.

Chifuyu felt the wind pass through his gelled hair as he rode his bike on the way home, a content smile on his face at the thought of relaxing with some manga before he had to go out with Baji and Mitsuya.

His eyes fell on a lone girl walking down the street, his eyebrows furrowing. That back, the one he's come to familiarize himself with the past few days of her always turning her back on him and Baji.

Slowing the motorbike, Chifuyu stopped next to the sidewalk and looked behind him as she walked closer and closer, her eyes squinting as if she was starting to recognize him. ''What're you doing here, Y/n?''

Is she going to ignore me or talk to me?

Do I ignore him or talk to him?

''Oh . . . hi, Matsuno, I'm just . . . heading home from cram school . . .'' Y/n spoke as she came to a stop next to him, her eyes falling on the motorbike he was still straddling. ''If I may ask . . . Why . . . are you riding a motorbike?''

''Why shouldn't I be?'' asked Chifuyu in confusion. Was there a problem?

''You're a middle schooler,'' Y/n pointed out the obvious. ''You don't even have a license, do you?''

''Don't need one.''

''You do to ride legally,'' Y/n reminded him, causing him to roll his eyes. ''Anyway . . . why are you here?''

''I was just on my way home and saw you,'' Chifuyu explained. ''You wanna hitch a ride?''

Y/n eyed the motorbike - it didn't look rusty or broken, but she was still scared to get on a motorbike ridden by someone her age. ''I don't know.''

''C'mon, I'll give you my helmet and I won't crash, I promise,'' Chifuyu said as he stood up and opened the trunk under the seat, taking out the lone helmet inside and handing it out to her. ''I won't ride as fast if that makes you more at ease."

She weighted her options. On one hand, she still had another fifteen minute walk to her house. On another, she could get there quicker, but possibly die on the way.

''Yeah, I'll just walk, thanks.'' She turned around and tried to walk away, but Chifuyu grabbed her wrist and put the helmet on her head, strapping it so it wouldn't fall off. ''Let me put that in the trunk so you don't drop it,'' he said as he took her bag of goods and put it inside before lowering the seat back down.

Y/n watched as he straddled the seat again, waiting for her to get on as well. ''Matsuno, if I die today, I will haunt you.''

''You won't die, Y/n,'' Chifuyu said. She'd just realized - when had she gived him permission to use her given name? She calls him by his surname, but he's always been calling her by her first name.