27 | the truth revealed

November 20th, 2005 - 5:52 p.m.

''Takemichi, come with me real quick.''

After returning from the future, Takemichi had awoken in his room to his friends waiting for him and now Chifuyu had gotten him on his bike, driving Takemichi who knew where. They came to a stop on a bridge overlooking the city - if Takemichi didn't have so much on his plate, he'd probably be able to appreciate the view.

''Nice bike, isn't it?'' Chifuyu asked, turning back to look at Takemichi with a smile. ''It's a memento from Baji-san.''

''Yeah, it's nice.'' Takemichi looked at Chifuyu - he remembered the empty shell of a man he'd met mere hours ago and the thought that Chifuyu, the one standing in front of him right now, the one finally healing, was the same Chifuyu from the future, gave Takemichi headaches. Takemichi gulped. ''Hey, uh — how's Y/n?''

Chifuyu was confused, but there was a small smile on his face at the thought of the girl. ''Y/n? She's fine. Didn't you see her, like, two days ago?''

Takemichi licked his dry lips. He had to tell Chifuyu. He'd want to know. He'd know how to help him protect Y/n so he can save his own self in the future. ''She died, Chifuyu.''

Furrowing his eyebrows, Chifuyu turned towards Takemichi, eyebrows furrowed and smile dropped. ''The hell are you talking about? Y/n's fine, I drove her to cram school before coming to yours.''

''I know this is gonna sound crazy, I know you most likely won't believe me, but you have to listen to me.'' Takemichi gulped. This was going to be hard. ''Y/n will die, sometime soon.''

Chifuyu blinked three times. ''What's that supposed to mean? How do you even know that?''

''Chifuyu, I came from the future.''

A moment of silence fell between the two. They held eye contact, Chifuyu racking his brain, trying to figure out what Takemichi was trying to say. ''Huh? What the hell do you mean? 'Came from the future'?''

Takemichi sweat-dropped. ''Um, I mean . . .''

He started talking. He told Chifuyu about how he went to the past on the day he died. How he joined Toman to save Hina from dying. How he could only go back twelve years from the present day. About Mikey. About Draken. Kisaki. And about Y/n's future - or, rather, the lack of. He'd promised himself not to tell anyone about the time leaps because he didn't know how it'd affect the future. But Chifuyu was his friend - he deserved to know how much he would change.

''. . . And that's . . . everything I've done.''

Chifuyu's gaze was on the ground, his eyes wide and a sweat dropping down the side of his face. He looked like he'd seen a ghost. ''Y/n is going to get killed?''

Takemichi nodded solemnly. ''Yes. I saw her grave, Chifuyu, I—''

''Who did it?'' Chifuyu asked, the hands in his pockets turning into fists. ''Who was it? Tell me, Takemichi.''

''That's the catch. No one knows.''

Chifuyu furrowed his eyebrows. ''I thought you came back from the future?''

''I did!'' Takemichi's voice went higher, but he quickly calmed down. ''But you - future-you said he didn't know. No one knew. There was just a note saying 'For Kazutora'.''

Chifuyu's eyes darted around, trying to think of any possible murderers who would kill for Kazutora's sake - the only one coming to mind was Baji, but that wasn't possible anymore. He shook his head. ''That doesn't make sense at all.''

''I know it doesn't,'' Takemichi agreed. ''But I'm telling you so we can try to prevent it.''

''How can we prevent something like this?'' Chifuyu asked, running a hand through his hair. ''Why would anyone want to kill Y/n of all people?''

''We have to figure it out. But, Chifuyu, listen,'' Takemichi spoke and Chifuyu finally looked back at him. ''You can't tell anyone about this.''

Chifuyu nodded quickly, biting the inside of his lip. His eyes dropped as he looked to the side. ''Somehow, I always knew.''

''. . . Huh?''

''Thinking about it, there's a lot that's off about you,'' Chifuyu pointed out. ''Also, there have been times when you've looked different.''

''Well, I mean, that's . . .''

''Before the fight with Valhalla, you told Baji not to die. I wasn't standing close enough, so I didn't hear what you were talking about in detail, but I definitely heard that,'' Chifuyu felt his chest tighten at the memory. ''You knew Baji was going to die. That's why you were so desperate.''

Takemichi nodded. ''Yeah. I knew, but I couldn't stop it. Even though I tried to save him . . .''

''You're pretty incredible.''

''Huh?''

''You've been fighting all alone, right? With nobody parsing you or anything. Be proud of yourself, Takemichi. The results don't matter. Nobody's watching, but you stood and fought without running. I respect you, dude.''

''You really believe me? And all the stuff I said sounds like total bullshit?''

'''Course I do, dumbass!''

Despite just finding out his girlfriend was about to die, despite not knowing how, when or who would kill her, Chifuyu was thankful for Takemichi, because without him, he wouldn't know about this in the first place and he wouldn't be able to prevent it. So, despite the pain, angst and anger, he managed a grin.

''We're partners, aren't we?''

November 20th, 2005 - 10:21 p.m.

Y/n ran her fingers through Shin's fur as he laid on her lap, while Mai was asleep on her bed. She sat her at windowsill, her leg dangling out as she looked up at the starry sky. It was cold, but she'd opted with putting on a jacket and a scarf, wrapping a small blanket around Shin so he wouldn't freeze either.

I haven't had time to sit here for a while, Y/n thought as her head rested on the back of the wall. It's been almost three weeks since Baji's death. It's weird without him. But at least Chifuyu's doing better every day. It'll take him time, but he'll heal. I'm not returning to the student council, either - there's no point to, seeing as Shirogane would only side with Kaguya, anyway. Mom understands - she wouldn't if she actually knew what Chifuyu did in his free time, but what she doesn't know won't hurt her.

The revving of an engine cut her train of thoughts and she looked down, seeing Chifuyu coming to a stop in front of his building - he was riding Baji's motorbike again, Y/n noted. She smiled as she noticed him looking up at her. She waved at him and, thanks to the street light above him, she could make out his hand waving back at her.

Chifuyu looked up at Y/n's silhouette at her window. He wanted to go to her, hug her, talk to her, but he couldn't stop thinking about what Takemichi had told him. He had to figure out how she would die, who would kill her - he had to save her.

He already lost Baji. He couldn't loose her as well.