𝒄𝒖𝒂𝒕𝒓𝒐.

𝑠𝑜𝑑𝑎𝑝𝑜𝑝 𝑐𝑢𝑟𝑡𝑖𝑠

𝑠𝑜𝑑𝑎𝑝𝑜𝑝 𝑐𝑢𝑟𝑡𝑖𝑠

COMING TO WORK WITHOUT MY CAP put me in the worst mood ever, steve kept calling me 'grumpy' from snow white but i didn't even bother to say a word back. pony was coming to the dx after school with dally, johnny, and two-bit. it was 2 in the afternoon, i could sense their loudness from a mile away. i sat on my chair by the counter waiting for either them or a customer, holding a cars magazine in my hand.

the door opened with a girl humming a judy garland song. i peaked up from my magazine to see a brunette girl searching around the place, i could tell she was one of the puerto ricans on that side of tulsa but great heavens she was so beautiful.

my eye caught an object in her hand, it was my dx hat. the girl grabbed two bags of chips and one bag of peanuts, she walked over to me with a smile, her teeth were as perfect as a model.

"hi there... sodapop?" she looked at my name tag, "was just here for some snacks and to drop this hat to whom ever it belongs to."

"oh it's mine, thank you so much. how'd you find it?" i jumped out of my seat.

"lying on the ground on vine street." she shrugged, "my name's marlena by the way, friends call me 'mar' or 'lena'."

        "well friends like to call me 'soda', shorter for sodapop." i grinned, marlena laughed.

        steve poked his head in, "what's the hold up for? just check out her food and let her go!"

        "right, right." i shook my head while marlena was giggling at this nonsense, "just these three?"

        "mhm, i figured i could go out and buy my little siblings a snack." she says when she begins pulling out a few coins.

        "marlena," i whispered, "as a friend, these ones are on the roof."

        "are you sure, i don't want to be a burd-"

        "i'm sure." i nodded.

        "oh well thank you, sodapop." she looked at me, "have a good one."

        "you too, doll." i winked at her while she was walking away.

        dally was walking in with the guys when his eyes met marlena, it wasn't some eye contact you see between a guy and girl when they're attracted to each other, it was the kind when both had hatred for each other. this made dally stop at his track just staring down at the girl, like he was about to cause a rumble with her but dally knew better than to fight a girl, let alone let a girl in a fight.

        pony and johnny were trying to get dally to take his eyes off the girl so that she could leave but he blocked the exit for her, i could tell she was nervous but not nervous about dally winston sending hate towards her.

        "listen here, mar." his head leaned a little towards her, "you tell your little spanish friends to meet me in the alley saturday night and to bring their stupid blades with them."

        "and what if i don't?" she spat.

        "then i might as well get you involved." he threatened before aggressively shoving her out of the store.

        "dal!" we all yelled, johnny was even holding her up from the outside.

"don't talk about it," he huffs before looking back at her, "now leave!"

even the guys looked at dally in disbelief, he tried to hurt a girl who had done nothing, well nothing that i know of. marlena looked sweet to me and i may have caught feelings in that moment, but what dally did made me want to know more.

marlena flipped dally off before leaving the place, it just made him laugh but not the kind of laugh people make when a really funny joke is made. dally jumped over the counter to grab a plastic wrapped box of cigarettes. he never learned from the first time i got suspended from my job and he went to jail for a couple of days, darry screamed his head off at me when he found out that i was giving dally free cigarettes.

        ponyboy shook his head after that little sighting before strolling the candy aisle up and down, he remembers to get something with the little money he carries on himself. whenever johnny would want something from the dx i'd either let it slide for free or pony would insist on paying for it.

"y'all going to that dance tomorrow, the one where everyone is going." johnny asks, scratching out whatever is hiding beneath his nails.

"i might go, i wanna get my groove on." i joked, shaking my shoulders.

"don't." dally stopped me.

"oh you're no fun." i rolled my eyes, "but yeah i might go, sandy's been begging me all week."

        "god not sandy, ugh you're killing me!" steve said dramatically, pretending to have a heart attack.

        "it's my girlfriend and i prefer you have no say because you have evie!" i scolded him.

        "at least my girl ain't a two-timing broad." steve muttered before walking back into the garage.

        i shook my head but couldn't shake the words off of my head, steve was right but i couldn't just leave my own girlfriend after taking my own best friend's word. steve is somehow always right and will always manage to stay that way until someone smart enough is able to make him wrong, i don't know what to do now that i have the truth on me.

        sandy and i had gotten back together 4 months ago after having a 6 month break, i broke it off the first time after finding out she had cheated on me with the reckless bob sheldon. i loved her too much during our break that i decided to just get back with her.

        marlena was something but sandy's my girl and you can't disappoint someone who puts trust in you.