𝒅𝒊𝒆𝒄𝒊𝒏𝒖𝒆𝒗𝒆.

𝑚𝑎𝑟𝑙𝑒𝑛𝑎 𝑝𝑒𝑟𝑒𝑧

𝑚𝑎𝑟𝑙𝑒𝑛𝑎 𝑝𝑒𝑟𝑒𝑧

SODA AND I LIED ON A PLAID PICNIC BLANKET, watching the sunset from the lot. our heads were next to each other as we talked about the things around us, him admiring the the newly grown cherry blossoms as i played with the small sunflowers in my hand. he made me smile a bunch of times with his whispered compliments about how beautiful he thought i was.

"you know, you practically gave my mom deja vu when she first met you." i laughed.

"why's that?" he questioned.

"well, my dad was white and was madly in love with her just like you are with me." i shrugged, "she just didn't like the idea of me dating a white boy because she didn't want me to end up like her."

"how did she end up?" soda extended his questions.

"single mother whose kids are living with their grandmother." i phrased her life shortly.

"well i'm never going to leave you, mar." he turned his head and kissed my lips.

the birds sung in harmony with their small chirps, sunset hit a vibrant orange color with a hint of pink and yellow. sunsets like these were always my favorite, i hated the ones that were white and yellow, they just had no meaning to. mario and ana used to come with me to the lot to watch the sunset, ana loved them, mario called them boring.

"i never got why pony loved these things." soda scoffed.

"probably because they are beautiful." i grinned.

"not as beautiful as you, disappointing for sure." he turned over to his stomach, "i'm gonna marry you, marlena. mark my words."

        "i believe you, soda, i really do." my head turned to him, his blue dazzling eyes shot right through me.

        "we're gonna get married, move out of this place once you finish college, have kids, and die with white hair and wrinkles together." he fantasized, "just me and you in our little future white farmhouse."

        "what if i don't want a farmhouse?" i sarcastically pouted.

        "then what do you want?" he leaned the side of his head against his palm.

        "i want a white two-story house, blue beautiful shutters, a porch for our kids to run around in and for us to watch sunsets like this one," i kept thinking, "i want it to be near the lake so every weekend we'd just go swim in it on our free time."

        "is that what you really want?" soda raised his eyebrow with a smirk.

        "yes sir." i nodded childishly.

        "future is all ours then." soda says before lying back down on his back.

        we faced each other for a second and i stuck my tongue out at him, he put his arms over me and pulled me into a tight cuddle, i felt safe in his arms. he kept kissing the top of my head as if he was just trying to exercise his lips. he stopped after about 20 kisses before he just rested his head in the blanket and continued to watch the sky.

soda talked about how once we got married, he'd quit the dx shop and read books on how to fix cars for good money for a living, well at least try to to read. i told him whatever he was going for i'd fully support him and go wherever he went because i loved him no matter what. at first he didn't believe me but i fully told him that i'd be by his side until death did us apart.

i told him i'd become a journalist for some big time company, he told me the philadelphia times was the perfect place for me. soda added more ideas to our career bucket list, saying how he'll own a small gas station on the outskirts of town and let our kid run around in that place until they're old enough to function a car. i loved it when he'd talk about our future because he could see the two of us in his.

he held my hand when the sunset hit close to dark. my eyes wanted to close and fall into a deep sleep but soda talking kept me up, i don't mind though.

"i can't wait to tell our kids how we met." soda squealed.

        "soda, your friend tormented me the day we met." i said.

        "minus that part." he replied.

        "my friend valerie was right, you were a good looker." i laughed.

        "valerie must be real smart." he joked.

        "shut up." i smiled.

        "what did you say, huh?" soda sat up and started tickling me.

        i quickly escaped out of his wiggling fingers and started running around on the grass, he chased me with nicknames like 'boo bear' or 'baby cakes', they were quite the laughing stock in my mind.

        although me and soda are just teens barely 18, i believe he was the love of my life from the beginning, the eyes of his locked me in. i knew this was the beginning to our new life, a life where we get to talk about anything and not worry about anyone hearing us, the life where we can get deja vu from the small moments we lived through together, the life where i trust him with my whole.

        i, marlena perez, am in love with sodapop curtis.