𝒅𝒐𝒄𝒆.

𝑠𝑜𝑑𝑎𝑝𝑜𝑝 𝑐𝑢𝑟𝑡𝑖𝑠

𝑠𝑜𝑑𝑎𝑝𝑜𝑝 𝑐𝑢𝑟𝑡𝑖𝑠

DALLY WAS STILL IN THE hospital recovering but according to the doctors, he will be fine but just needs time as the stab was a bit deep. i've only visited him twice during the four days he was in the hospital, he seems well and alive, remembers how mean he was. pony and johnny visited him the most, it was an everyday thing where johnny snuck in cigarettes in his coat pocket while pony brought over cards so dally didn't kill himself from boredom.

steve didn't visit dally at all, the gang didn't know why, he also seemed angry the past couple of days 'til the point where he just stopped coming by my house every so often like he used to. i tried talking to him about it at the dx but he would brush it off saying that his dad was giving him so much shit which happens all the time but that didn't really him this mad.

today, i was cleaning off the oil from rusty parts of cars when steve came in slamming everything behind him, doors, bolts, everything. he obviously was pissed but there was no way his dad was in on this.

"you diggin' alright, steve?" i asked him, looking over my shoulder.

"yeah, just started off with a bad morning." steve muttered.

"your old man again?" i assumed.

"huh? oh, yeah." he lied.

"alright," i ended the conversation, "since you're here i'll take over the cash register."

"have fun." he said blankly.

i walked off while trying not to think about what could be going on in his head, maybe evie broke off something with him but i doubt that because they're so perfect for each other that you can even see what their future kids would look like, it could just be steve's nose but you would also see evie's green eyes in theirs.

there were a few customers waiting in line, they were all middle aged so i didn't have to stress out about encountering one of the soc girls. the first customer was just mrs. gitler who was known for being scary to children because she's all old but if you really got the chance to know her, she's the sweetest of them all.

"hi mrs. gitler, another muffler problem?" i smiled.

"oh yes, you see i do not know what to do with that stupid thing." she complained.

"gerald's no help?" i chuckled.

"no, soon enough he'll be asking me for his glasses when they're on his head." she rolls her eyes, "anyway, just a marlboro for him, please?"

"you got it." i nodded before grabbing a pack from the top shelf behind, "that'll just be 50 cents."

mrs. gitler hands me the 50 cents, "you tell darry and ponyboy i said hi, alright?"

"you got." i told her just as she left the place.

there was a couple right behind her who dropped a bunch of candy on the counter, wasn't a lot but a lot for two people. the couple didn't say anything to me but a hello, they were just mute while waiting for me to finish calculating the total amount of whatever the hell they were getting.

they owed me a dollar but they gave me 75 cents, i didn't bother to even confront becky no confrontational guy nor do i care because i have other customers to give problems to.

a man walked up after the couple left, he looked homeless and smelled like he hadn't shower for nearly a month, you know that smell when you know how dally is every time he gets kicked out of buck's for not paying his rent.

"just these three, please." the man says while dropping three different types of chocolate bars onto the counter.

"alright then." i said, "that would be $1.50, please."

"you gotta be kidding," he scoffed but i shook my head, "last time i came here it was less than a dollar."

"things change, sir." i smiled as he handed me 6 quarters, "you have. a nice day."

"you too, young man."

hours go by and my shift was nearly finished, i decided to close up the shop early because no one was stopping by at 7:30 pm. steve had already left because he only works part-time while i work full time.

i sat alone behind the counter, bored out of my mind. time struck 7:45 which was the end of my shift, i grabbed my house key and wallet before walking out. it was cold out and quiet as everyone was in their homes for dinner or just doing whatever.

crickets were chirping, the leaves underneath my shoes started cracking, i started shivering. a small shadow figure was sitting on the curb by the abandoned deli not too far from my workplace, it looked like a little boy who was out for too long. i decided to go up to him to take a look what was going on, my heart dropped when i realized who it was.

"mario?" i called.

"soda, god dude you scared me." he sighed.

"what the hell are you doing out here, marlena would kill you if she found out you were here alone." i sat down next to him.

"i was at my friend's house and i called my mom over there, she said she'd pick me up at 5 and to just wait outside her." he explained, "i don't know what time it is and my friend's family left to go get dinner, they invited me but i just told them i knew my mom was on the way."

"well it's almost 8 so i'm gonna walk you home." i told him.

"you think marlena will murder me?" he questioned as i helped him get up.

"i'll do that talking, just get yourself inside your house and warm yourself up."